PDA

View Full Version : FJ Cruiser body mount chop

Cruzrman
07-29-2009, 05:30 PM
I have an 07' FJC with 285 tires. Rubbing has never been an issue. After running Old Chinaman's Gulch a couple of weeks ago, the left front is rubbing at full lock left. I had it aligned (the left front camber was out 29/32"!) and that took care of most but not all of it. The truck aligned to spec. I have the printout.
Unless there's another option to eliminate this problem, I'm considering cutting back the body mounts. Why does the end need to be boxed? It looks like it would still be structurally sound without it. Any input would be appreciated.
Cruzrman

FJBRADY
07-29-2009, 05:34 PM
I have an 07' FJC with 285 tires. Rubbing has never been an issue. After running Old Chinaman's Gulch a couple of weeks ago, the left front is rubbing at full lock left. I had it aligned (the left front camber was out 29/32"!) and that took care of most but not all of it. The truck aligned to spec. I have the printout.
Unless there's another option to eliminate this problem, I'm considering cutting back the body mounts. Why does the end need to be boxed? It looks like it would still be structurally sound without it. Any input would be appreciated.
Cruzrman

I have the same set up....rubbed until I lifted it.

TIMZTOY
07-29-2009, 08:15 PM
couldn't tell you. toyota dosnt have any tsb's for any such complaints. we just dont have any problems with the fj's:cheers: id just lift it and kill to 2 birds:hill:

Cruzrman
07-30-2009, 11:17 AM
It's already lifted.

Jacket
07-30-2009, 11:25 AM
Why does the end need to be boxed? It looks like it would still be structurally sound without it. Any input would be appreciated.
Cruzrman

Why take the chance? The original body mount is boxed, so if you are going to cut a piece off, it seems logical to ensure the structural integrity of the section is maintained by re-boxing it after the chop. Plus you keep all the dirt, sand and mud from entering and settling inside the mount point.

Red_Chili
07-30-2009, 12:23 PM
couldn't tell you. toyota dosnt have any tsb's for any such complaints. we just dont have any problems with the fj's:cheers:
Ummm... body cracking due to flex? There's a TSB on that IIRC.

Caribou Sandstorm
07-30-2009, 12:48 PM
Yep the inner fender bulge is known, but might not have a TSB....New parts have been designed for it. Still a hush hush scene..

Hey Cruzrman, head over to the blue room and see what you can find..(Fjcruiser forums).

The standard op for Fjs has been..if running 285's most have a lift of either 2 inch or 3 inches. Most of us have not done the body mount chop unless installing 35s. With 35's the body chop mount is pretty standard across the board. I am not sure if they are re-boxing afterward. But it will be well documented and posted in the blue room.

What is your lift?

Jacket
07-30-2009, 01:39 PM
Everyone I've ever seen do this mod has re-plated the chopped section. It's pretty simple process for someone with a welder and a cutting tool.

Cruzrman
08-01-2009, 11:23 AM
My lift is an O.M.E. with ToyTech rear coils.

Cruzrman
08-02-2009, 12:10 PM
My lift is an O.M.E. with ToyTech rear coils.

I guess the real question is, if it didn't rub before, why is it rubbing now?

Caribou Sandstorm
08-02-2009, 11:06 PM
Great point. Mine started rubbing after Rubicon. Could it be that the shocks have settled? Under some pretty agressive wheeling like the Rubicon or Chinaman's?

FJBRADY
08-03-2009, 09:12 AM
It's all coming back to me. I did remember a rub when backing and turning hard to the right or left. I had it poorly aligned at a local shop and the rub continued until I was directed to Bear Frame and Axle on Broadway, from the kind folks at RS.

Now I bring all my trucks to Bear Frame and Axle. Give them a try.

Caribou Sandstorm
08-03-2009, 09:16 AM
Hey Steve, great idea. I used to go to those guys all the time for my Alfa.

I forgot about them, I may go over there as I am also having trouble getting the alignment dialed on on a few of my cars...

Did they move their shop or still on Broadway?

FJBRADY
08-03-2009, 09:37 AM
Hey Steve, great idea. I used to go to those guys all the time for my Alfa.

I forgot about them, I may go over there as I am also having trouble getting the alignment dialed on on a few of my cars...

Did they move their shop or still on Broadway?

Still on Broadway just north of Bellview next to the Lucky U motel...just look for the dancing bear sign.

Cruzrman
08-03-2009, 11:14 AM
Are you aware of what changes they made after your first alignment? I assume it has something to do with caster.
cruzrman

FJBRADY
08-03-2009, 11:33 AM
Are you aware of what changes they made after your first alignment? I assume it has something to do with caster.
cruzrman

No I did not pay that much attention to it.....I just figured the brake place that I took the truck to originally, that also stated they did alignments:mad: did a sucky job.

Cruzrman
08-06-2009, 10:29 AM
I took my FJC back to my mechanic to see about the rubbing on the motor mount and the outcome was great. By adjusting the positive caster from 3.3 degrees to 4.5 degrees, it gives me over an inch of clearance and the truck handles better than it ever has. The twitchiness in the steering is completely gone, and it tracks straighter than ever.
Cruzrman