PDA

View Full Version : Stock FJ Cruiser Bumper

ttubb
08-01-2009, 05:47 PM
I was just reading about the bulge/cracking issues in the engine compartment on some FJCs.

Does anyone know the weight of the stock front bumper (as removed to install winch bumper) on the FJC? Thanks, Terry

powderpig
08-02-2009, 07:43 AM
The stock stuff is way lighter than any winch bumper.
What is your real question? Would it be something like" will the weight of a winch bumper and winch create the bulges?
The bulges should not be created by the addition of a bumper and winch. These would be hanging on the frame and not the body. Some FJC with out the addition of a bumper and winch have the bulges. This is a bunch of info and calculation on why this happens. Toyota has taken care of a bunch of this problem and Some distributor areas are pissing people off by not taking care of this under the TSB that are out there.
More than what you asked, but may cover what you are after.

ttubb
08-02-2009, 07:59 AM
The stock stuff is way lighter than any winch bumper.
What is your real question? Would it be something like" will the weight of a winch bumper and winch create the bulges?
The bulges should not be created by the addition of a bumper and winch. These would be hanging on the frame and not the body. Some FJC with out the addition of a bumper and winch have the bulges. This is a bunch of info and calculation on why this happens. Toyota has taken care of a bunch of this problem and Some distributor areas are pissing people off by not taking care of this under the TSB that are out there.
More than what you asked, but may cover what you are after.

Thanks, that is the basic question I had. Are you aware of any mods that have been made on newer (09) models to address this issue?

FJ_Mark
08-02-2009, 11:37 AM
I have my old bumper I can try to weigh it if you really need to know. Big difference in it and my ARB with winch.

ttubb
08-02-2009, 01:33 PM
I have my old bumper I can try to weigh it if you really need to know. Big difference in it and my ARB with winch.

Don't go to a lot of trouble on this. I was more curious than anything. I have a new All-Pro Offroad bumper that weighs about 75 lbs and I have not removed the original yet. Thanks, Terry

Caribou Sandstorm
08-02-2009, 10:58 PM
Hi Terry,

Just saw your quesitons. Robbie was spot on, no surprise there..

I had the bulge and had it fixed via warranty. It is caused by flexing of the body and stiff body mounts to the frame.

The fix for newer models? Well for 09 models, I am guessing they went with the 3 ply boxed inner fender apron, since this is what they have replaced the part with for all warranty claims.. It used to be a 3 sided single panel horse shoe style panel (open on the outward side), you could bend it with your hand.

All bumpers are mounted to the frame, so they do not affect the inner fendor apron. It is pretty random that it is happening and yes it has happened to street rigs with no mods. Your dealer is probably well trained now on what needs to be done, should this happen to you down the road. I can show you mine and share some insight to the warranty process. If you know how Toyota handles warranty, the dealer really has no say, it is all up to the Toyota warranty rep.

My guess is you won't see it happen with your rig.

ttubb
08-03-2009, 07:22 AM
Hi Terry,

Just saw your quesitons. Robbie was spot on, no surprise there..

I had the bulge and had it fixed via warranty. It is caused by flexing of the body and stiff body mounts to the frame.

The fix for newer models? Well for 09 models, I am guessing they went with the 3 ply boxed inner fender apron, since this is what they have replaced the part with for all warranty claims.. It used to be a 3 sided single panel horse shoe style panel (open on the outward side), you could bend it with your hand.

Chris, thanks for the replay. I thought I recalled you posting a photo of your bulge prior to fix. Do you still have that picture? I want to compare with my setup. Thanks again. Terry

ttubb
08-03-2009, 07:39 AM
Chris, thanks for the replay. I thought I recalled you posting a photo of your bulge prior to fix. Do you still have that picture? I want to compare with my setup. Thanks again. Terry

I found the pics on your site. Terry

Caribou Sandstorm
08-03-2009, 09:24 AM
Hi Terry,

Try my smugmug link below my signature. There is a gallery with my inner fender pics. Dirver's side was not bulging, just pasanger. The Go-collision autobody shop mananger Brian, decided to fix both sides.

I should have mentioned that a complete inner fender replacement was not done on my FJ. They just added the 4 side in a 3ply sheet metal, which boxed the fender apron. It is an option and in my opinion a good one vs. cutting and re-rewelding the new fender apron. My passenger apron buldge was not too bad, as I caught it early and they were able to try this vs. cutting and welding.