PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Driving

Cruzrman
08-03-2009, 11:30 AM
To all FJC drivers,
I went down to run O.C.G. a few weeks ago and noticed that the tranny was constantly shifting out of O.D., so I finally just left it in fourth. About five hundred more RPM, no big deal. However, there were several times I had to downshift into third to make the steepest grades.
Anyone else experience this while driving through the hills. It seems to lose power under 3000 RPM, hence the extra shift. I'm running Denso iridiums, TRD air box, 1" throttle body spacer and Mobil 1 5W-30.
cruzrman

Beater
08-03-2009, 11:37 AM
it is standard practice to take the overdrive off when in the hills. I have yet to see an owners manual with a switchable overdrive that didn't make this recommendation.

FJBRADY
08-03-2009, 11:38 AM
To all FJC drivers,
I went down to run O.C.G. a few weeks ago and noticed that the tranny was constantly shifting out of O.D., so I finally just left it in fourth. About five hundred more RPM, no big deal. However, there were several times I had to downshift into third to make the steepest grades.
Anyone else experience this while driving through the hills. It seems to lose power under 3000 RPM, hence the extra shift. I'm running Denso iridiums, TRD air box, 1" throttle body spacer and Mobil 1 5W-30.
cruzrman

Sounds like an Auto tranny running 33" tires and stock gears. I always drop it into third to haul ass up the passes!

Cruzrman
08-04-2009, 03:58 PM
That's good to know. Thanks for responding.
cruzrman