PDA

View Full Version : New fog light bulbs blowing 15A fuse. ???

Swoop
08-03-2009, 01:29 PM
First off, I want to say thanks to everyone who gave me such great advice on what 4Runner/4Runner Options I should get and what the first modifications should be for it.

I am now a proud owner of a 2000 4Runner Sport with lockers and am loving it! :)

Here is a problem I am running into now, although.

I wanted brighter headlights and fog lights so I found some recommended Philips Crystal Vision Ultras at NAPA and the headlight replacements worked like a charm. But when I put in the new Philips Crystal Vision Ultra H3 fog light bulbs, it immediately blew the 15A fuse when I turned them on. I replaced the fuse and tested it again - same result. :(

The old bulbs were rated at 55W and the new ones appear to also be 55W.

Any ideas? Should I simply jump up to a 20A or 25A fuse to see if that solves my problem or am I risking the melting of the wiring?

As always, thanks for your advice!

Uncle Ben
08-03-2009, 01:37 PM
When running higher output headlights and/or aux lights you should always add in relays so the bulbs get clean high amp power and the switch and dash wiring only sees a minimal load!

Swoop
08-03-2009, 01:39 PM
When running higher output headlights and/or aux lights you should always add in relays so the bulbs get clean high amp power and the switch and dash wiring only sees a minimal load!

So, do I need to replace the "Fog" Relay that is under the hood now, with a more powerful one? Where do I go for one of these?

Thanks!

Uncle Ben
08-03-2009, 01:42 PM
So, do I need to replace the "Fog" Relay that is under the hood now, with a more powerful one? Where do I go for one of these?

Thanks!

If there is already a relay that should be plenty. You need to find why the high current draw! Have you added more lights to the circuit? Does it blow a 20 amp fuse also?

AxleIke
08-03-2009, 01:46 PM
Never throw in a higher rated fuse...Good way to start fires.

If its blowing INSTANTLY, its likely a short. If it takes a little while, you should look at switching to a less loaded circuit.

Make sure you have the ground and power hooked up correctly, and no unprotected/unwrapped wires.

Swoop
08-03-2009, 02:25 PM
If there is already a relay that should be plenty. You need to find why the high current draw! Have you added more lights to the circuit? Does it blow a 20 amp fuse also?

Same amount of lights. Didn't try 20A because I was nervous about what AxelIke mentions below...

Never throw in a higher rated fuse...Good way to start fires.

If its blowing INSTANTLY, its likely a short. If it takes a little while, you should look at switching to a less loaded circuit.

Make sure you have the ground and power hooked up correctly, and no unprotected/unwrapped wires.

I'll double-check to see if some of the wire has become exposed or something similar that may be causing a short then, since it is immediately throwing the fuse on power-on.

Thanks everyone. I'll update with results later.

AxleIke
08-03-2009, 04:07 PM
Check the lights themselves too...Its possible you have a bulb shorting, or the wiring within the Lamp shorting.

If you got the lights at NAPA, they should be rated at 12V, but check that too...Though you'd likely just burn up the bulbs rather than blow the fuse.

OH! One other thing to check is just to make sure you indeed have 55W bulbs.

55W bulbs on a 12 volt system should be drawing about 4.5 A. and 9 A for both. If you have more lights on the system, or higher than 55W bulbs, you'll blow the fuse. These lights should be on their own relay/fuse.

Swoop
08-03-2009, 06:04 PM
Check the lights themselves too...Its possible you have a bulb shorting, or the wiring within the Lamp shorting.

If you got the lights at NAPA, they should be rated at 12V, but check that too...Though you'd likely just burn up the bulbs rather than blow the fuse.

OH! One other thing to check is just to make sure you indeed have 55W bulbs.

55W bulbs on a 12 volt system should be drawing about 4.5 A. and 9 A for both. If you have more lights on the system, or higher than 55W bulbs, you'll blow the fuse. These lights should be on their own relay/fuse.

I found the problem. One of the bulbs was not seated properly and must have been causing a short. It seemed like it was still making contact with the base of the bulb but it must have not been very solid.

So, I'm all good with the lighting situation for now. :)

Thanks for everyone's help.

Now, to just find some sliders... Going to start a new thread for that or search for a recent thread on sliders...

Red_Chili
08-03-2009, 06:50 PM
Make your own. I made some out of 2x2 square HREW when I needed to drive my wife's '97 Runner to Cruise Moab. Took about 8 hours start to finish. They still work great and she likes them as 'running boards' to step up on... :lmao:

Can't weld, you say?

That'll change.

Swoop
08-03-2009, 07:11 PM
Make your own. I made some out of 2x2 square HREW when I needed to drive my wife's '97 Runner to Cruise Moab. Took about 8 hours start to finish. They still work great and she likes them as 'running boards' to step up on... :lmao:

Can't weld, you say?

That'll change.

Yeah, I don't know how to weld at all. If it's anything like using soldier on a circuit board, but on a bigger scale, then maybe I'll be able to pick it up. :)

So much to do, so little money. ;)

I found this thread (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=8249&highlight=4runner+sliders)on my search and like certain aspects of the sliders in the pictures there.

For example, I like the idea of a completely flat slider, but also like the idea of having a ever-so-slight step up bar to be able to access the rooftop for cargo, bikes, washing, etc. The sliders which protrude a lot seem to be cool but I see the cross support beams (like the maroon Landcruiser (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showpost.php?p=86706&postcount=3)(?) with the pink elephant logo on bumper) catching on smaller rocks or the tips of boulders, etc.

I also like the sliders that come up around the side (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showpost.php?p=86714&postcount=10) of the 4Runner to add more protection to the other areas of the body; not just the sides between the wheel wells and the front and back lights.

So, I do see how making your own would be ideal if I had the skillz. ;)

Does anyone offer custom-made sliders as a paid service?

Swoop
08-04-2009, 11:31 AM
Hey Guys, I'm going to take the above post and make a new thread out of it to keep things on-topic...