PDA

View Full Version : Light brazing needed (North Side)

Mendocino
08-03-2009, 09:41 PM
One of the headers on my SBC has added on AIR injection tubes and the brazes have come loose due to a mechanical issue (I have fixed this). I don't have the kit to braze and need this done this week (ideally). The part is off the vehicle and bead blasted. Can anyone help a brother out?:)

Beater
08-04-2009, 07:53 AM
what is the material involved? like to like, or something funky like aluminum to brass?

send me a pic and such or post up here, I should be able to knock it out for you.

Mendocino
08-04-2009, 09:57 AM
I think its steel to steel. I'll post a pic after I bead blast the header tonight.

Beater
08-04-2009, 10:27 AM
if it is steel, we could probably tig it on.

Mendocino
08-04-2009, 10:48 AM
if it is steel, we could probably tig it on.

I think the TIG might work fine. The joint just needs more material to provide additional mechanical strength; but it does not need enough for a gusset.

Beater
08-04-2009, 10:55 AM
I can do either for beer. if these are aftermarket headers for a sbc, are they not stainless? not a problem if they are.

Mendocino
08-04-2009, 11:01 AM
I can do either for beer. if these are aftermarket headers for a sbc, are they not stainless? not a problem if they are.

Beer is good. Are you coming to the meeting on Wednesday? Maybe I can leave the header with you. I don't think they are stainless but will know tonight.

BTW-What flavor of beer.

Mendocino
08-05-2009, 07:40 AM
John,

Here is a picture of the header. Can I drive down to your shop today?

Beater
08-05-2009, 08:02 AM
ok - so it looks like it is already done, is it just leaking? That will be a ton of work to remove the brass, then tig it. plus, thats a lot of brass there already from the previous job.

For it to re-seal, every bit of that oxidation/rust is going to have to come out from around those fillet joints. After that stuff is cleaned out, then you need to remove a good amount of the existing brass so that the steel will get hot enough, or there won't be good adhesion.

IF it is just leaking at pin holes, and the tubes aren't loose, then I can probably just re-melt the top layer to seal.

Just given you a heads up, not trying to scare you off. call me later, and I'll pick up if I am not in a meeting.

j