PDA

View Full Version : Heater Control Illumination Light

subzali
08-05-2009, 10:38 AM
So I understand that my '77 is supposed to have one of these. I assume it hangs under the dash pad to illuminate the controls of the front heater. Does anybody have a good picture of it? I looked around on SOR but couldn't find it. How does it mount to the dash? I have a couple holes, does it use self-tapping screws or is supposed to have the little clips to screw into? I have two "extra" wires behind the dashboard that I'm sure would like to hook up into this little bugger.

Where can I get a new one (bracket is discontinued by Toyota)? If someone has a picture that would be great.

Air Randy
08-05-2009, 10:58 AM
I don't have a photo handy but on my 74 the light goes up into the hole so it is flush under the dash pad. It has a green lens in it. Mine didn't have the little clips but just screws that went into the dash pad, seems to hold it just fine.

subzali
08-05-2009, 11:01 AM
There are supposed to be two lights. I got one working last night that illuminates my dash knobs. There is another light that illuminates the lever for the front heater controls (vent, heat, defrost) and I think it attaches just above the e-brake handle. Which one are you talking about?

CardinalFJ60
08-05-2009, 11:06 AM
I'll try to shoot a picture of it...I'm actually coming to the meeting tonight. really! so I won't be able to get one to ya very quickly...

I too, will install on my 40 when I get a free moment.

Jacket
08-05-2009, 11:21 AM
I have a light down there by the heater, and I'll have my 40 at the meeting tonight if you want to take a gander.

subzali
08-05-2009, 11:37 AM
I don't think I'll be there tonight, but if either of you could post up a picture that would be swell! I'm interested in how it mounts to the dash...

nuclearlemon
08-05-2009, 11:50 AM
i think i've got one. i'll see if i can find it. i'm guessing you're talking about the one under the dash to light the lever on the side of the heater box. that bracket just kind of sticks off the bottom the dash with one bolt screwing it into the dash.

subzali
08-05-2009, 11:55 AM
yes ige that's correct. Toyota has everything except the bracket so if you have a bracket I could take off your hands that would be great.

subzali
08-05-2009, 12:32 PM
Apparently this is the one I'm looking for.

corsair23
08-05-2009, 12:47 PM
Matt...

Pretty sure I have one of those sitting in a box in the garage somewhere :rolleyes:

I can't remember what shape it is in or if it even works, but it is yours if Ige doesn't find hers....I'd have to find it to know if the bracket is there as well...

Jacket
08-06-2009, 11:28 AM
Here's a view of mine. The shot is looking upward toward the bottom of the dash between the ebrake and the heater.

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/Jacket/fj40_heaterlight.jpg

subzali
08-06-2009, 06:00 PM
well the superbright LEDs are cool, but not the BANG! I was expecting. I guess at least they should have a longer service life and actually be available in coming years (the BA7 bulb for the light switch is hard to come by now). I haven't trimmed my light shields, and they aren't bright enough that I can see them in the day, but I'll check them out later tonight and see what kind of difference they made. I'm just glad I have two new lights installed that I never had before :D Two more to go (pictured above and the courtesy lamp)

nuclearlemon
08-06-2009, 06:42 PM
while the superbrights are a bit disappointing, they are far less disappointing than stock bulbs;)

wesintl
08-06-2009, 07:16 PM
Why do you need to see anything at night inside a 40? In it's simplicity you should know where everything is...

subzali
08-06-2009, 08:09 PM
Don't worry Wes - I do know where everything is in the dark abyss down by my legs...;)

BUT I guess I needed something to tinker with. And I guess LEDs last longer than regular bulbs so it should be an upgrade.

Hulk
08-07-2009, 09:56 AM
I haven't trimmed my light shields, and they aren't bright enough that I can see them in the day, but I'll check them out later tonight and see what kind of difference they made.

I trimmed my light shields years ago, if you want to see the difference. I'm still running stock bulbs.

subzali
08-08-2009, 07:10 AM
jacket, what kind of screw/bolt is that that holds that light on? What does it screw into? Is there a nut on the backside, or a spring clip?

Jacket
08-16-2009, 09:18 AM
Missed this one - sorry. It's an M5 pan head screw, about 10-12mm. It threads through a hole in the bottom of the dash, and into a nut on the back of the light assembly. You can see in the picture that there are two holes; the passenger side is the screw (obviously), and the one on the drivers side seems like it's just for alignment of the light assembly. There's a dimple on the light that sits in the hole when it's seated properly.

HTH.

subzali
08-28-2009, 01:40 PM
Sweet, got this baby hooked up and bolted in yesterday, tried it last night and I got lights! SO cool to be high rollin' now...:smokin:

Had to get a new bulb at NAPA and a screw at Ace Hardware. This has been fun learning about things I was supposed to have but never have had! :thumb:

One other thing I learned I need to get is the knob that goes on top of the lever, like Jacket shows in his picture...

EDIT: drove a lot last night coming back from Argentine Pass, it was cool to have a little light shining down on my feet...:D

Here's what the light and bracket look like: