PDA

View Full Version : What goes on the fender here?

subzali
08-05-2009, 11:40 AM
What goes on the passenger fender under the heater motor? There are three tapped holes in the fender. There are no wires that I can see coming out of the harness. I am pretty sure this truck is a Federal spec model.

Air Randy
08-05-2009, 12:00 PM
I think that is where the coil and ignitor were on mine until I replaced them with an HEI unit.

CardinalFJ60
08-05-2009, 12:07 PM
I also agree, I think that's where my coil/ignitor are.

subzali
08-05-2009, 12:13 PM
that makes sense because mine has been converted to electronic ignition from '78-up. But if you could post a pic of yours Cardinal that would be great. Thanks!

CardinalFJ60
08-05-2009, 12:19 PM
you can kind of see it here...but now that I look at the pic, I have my relays for the IPF harness in that spot??? the ignitor is a little forward.

CardinalFJ60
08-05-2009, 12:20 PM
sorry...here's the pic.

subzali
08-05-2009, 12:37 PM
I don't know - looks to me like even the IPF relays are further forward than where I'm talking about. Where I'm talking about is on the angled portion of the fender, as it goes under the blower motor.

nuclearlemon
08-05-2009, 12:52 PM
the coil is usually mounted on top of the fender by the apron. can't think of what's underneath the blower. does it actually look like something was bolted there, or are they ghost holes possibly used in a non us application?

subzali
08-05-2009, 12:57 PM
something could have been mounted there, hard to tell. The picture shows what it looks like.

corsair23
08-05-2009, 01:44 PM
My 40 is far from stock and hard to tell where exactly you are talking about since I really don't "know" my 40 all that well but that looks oddly familiar to where my horn relay is located...

Pics can be found here (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=4478)

subzali
08-05-2009, 02:11 PM
you are right Jeff, that looks to be the same location. But my horns work and there is nothing there. I am not sure where my horn relay is; I will try and find it and see if someone moved it or something.

corsair23
08-05-2009, 02:23 PM
Check out the link provided in post #15 of that thread...Apparently if you have two wire horns you don't need a relay and it seems the later years fit that mold...Not sure what year it changed but likely your '77 doesn't need a relay.

CardinalFJ60
08-05-2009, 03:08 PM
well, I know for a fact i have a horn relay. when my horns didn't work, I replaced it, then they worked. :-)

subzali
08-05-2009, 03:09 PM
where is yours located Shawn? Should be the same as mine.

CardinalFJ60
08-05-2009, 03:33 PM
I have mine right at the curve of the inside fender, prolly right where those bolts are. I have my 60 today...but will take a close look tomorrow and try to take a pic.

PabloCruise
08-05-2009, 04:25 PM
the coil is usually mounted on top of the fender by the apron. can't think of what's underneath the blower. does it actually look like something was bolted there, or are they ghost holes possibly used in a non us application?

Ige is right - that is where they bolt the non-US diesel, cable locker, 5 speed attachment.

:D

subzali
08-05-2009, 04:39 PM
I really need to get me one of those :D

Seriously though, I'm amazed that mine is apparently different from all other '77 models out there. Nothing anybody has said yet matches 100% to something that would make sense in my instance - except MAYBE a non-electronic ignition components. Maybe.

subzali
08-05-2009, 06:28 PM
Just went and looked: my horn relay is forward of these bolt holes and my coil is forward of that. Going to thumb through the FSM and see what it says, but if anybody has any other ideas keep them coming. This fender is OE to this truck BTW; I can see the red paint peeking through the worn spots.

Okay more pictures since there have been lots of ideas:

The first shows my driver side fender. I believe my vacuum surge tank is mounted on this fender under some VSVs. My windshield washer is mounted near the back, down low. That is where my wiring harness had a plug for it to work. So yes the bolt pattern on the other side is similar, but electrically it was meant to be here.

The next two pics show my passenger side fender. you can see the '78 electronic ignition coil, my horn relay right behind it, the charcoal canister mounted off to the side a touch, and as the fender slopes under the heater motor there are those three bolt holes. The last pic shows a little more closeup view. This fender is OE to the truck as far as I can tell, seeing the original color showing underneath what looks to be the same overcoatings that the other parts of the engine bay all share.

Shark Bait
08-05-2009, 07:24 PM
Could it be that they mounted the windshield washer fluid bottle there in some years? It's in about the same location as the DS fender.