PDA

View Full Version : Has Rain Delayed Taking Top Off Your 40?

PabloCruise
08-05-2009, 04:30 PM
Or has everyone switched to 80's now? :D

I haven't wanted to take the top off my 40 up until this week, but now I am itching to. It feels like summer is finally here. Nothing like a topless 40 on a summer day!!!

I was looking at my hoist in the garage and want to make some changes to that as well...

corsair23
08-05-2009, 04:47 PM
I was looking at my hoist in the garage and want to make some changes to that as well...

Drive the 40 down and test out my hoist system for me :D

I've been wanting to remove the top on the 40 for 4+ years now and have yet to actually get it done...I'll blame it on the rain this year :hill:

Rezarf
08-05-2009, 04:55 PM
Mine has been off since late April... so I get a bit of rain now and then, these are the days for open air driving! Pull it Pablo!

theboomboom
08-05-2009, 04:59 PM
The top temporarily came off the bronco to help my buddy move some stuff and to go fishing yesterday, it may stay off with the weather being so nice lately. The top has stayed on the 40, but only until we finish up our current project...

subzali
08-05-2009, 05:08 PM
I just put my top back on my 40 this past weekend. The cool weather on the Ghost Town Run plus my dad needing it moved spurred the decision. I don't drive it much in town so it's not a big deal to not have the open air. I'm going to need it to test-fit my passenger side door anyway when I get the new weatherstripping and latches put on. It's been off since just before Moab though.

FJBRADY
08-05-2009, 05:08 PM
Bikini between Memorial and Labor day....that's how I roll :D

Jacket
08-05-2009, 05:16 PM
Mine has been off since late April... so I get a bit of rain now and then, these are the days for open air driving! Pull it Pablo!

x2. I've had a number of days where I had to pull the carpet and let her dry out after a downpour, but it's all part of the deal. The 40 has been my DD since May.

MDH33
08-05-2009, 05:29 PM
I pulled the Pakistan top and just put the new bimini top on for summer. It's like a full bikini top but uses the OEM bows. :cool:

like this:

http://mdhuber.smugmug.com/photos/239578991_v6ttp-O.jpg

Pull your top! summer is almost over!

Jacket
08-05-2009, 05:34 PM
Damn Martin - you gotta watch where you park in downtown Ouray. Those thugs stripped your 60 somethin' fierce! :lmao:

Shark Bait
08-05-2009, 07:17 PM
Not me!! Go topless!! :lmao:

nakman
08-06-2009, 01:44 PM
I pulled the Pakistan top and just put the new bimini top on for summer. It's like a full bikini top but uses the OEM bows. :cool:

like this:

Hey is that the same mud hole those guys drove that red diesel through? I know you know the video... heck could be the same 40 for that matter.

PabloCruise
08-06-2009, 02:11 PM
Drive the 40 down and test out my hoist system for me :D

I've been wanting to remove the top on the 40 for 4+ years now and have yet to actually get it done...I'll blame it on the rain this year :hill:

Pics of your system?

4+ years?!? I would go nuts!!!

Pull it Pablo!

Quote worthy - sig worthy!

Bikini between Memorial and Labor day....that's how I roll :D

That is how I would like to roll, been tough this year...

like this:

That is one cool picture! I wonder what that guy is doing...

subzali
08-06-2009, 02:14 PM
Tim - I don't think so. That mud hole wasn't all that big. The one in the picture above looks more like a canal.

Hulk
08-07-2009, 10:51 AM

Just say the word and I will be at your house with tools. I bet we could get Wes and Tch2fly there as well. We'll have the whole thing done and the hard top stowed safely in 2 hours.

Seriously, you have a garage spot for your 40. There is no reason to ever put the hard top back on the Cruiser ever again. If I had a third garage bay, I would probably run only the bikini top (not even the soft top).

Another benefit of removing the hard top -- you'll feel like your Cruiser gained an extra 30 HP. You don't realize how heavy the hard top is!

MDH33
08-07-2009, 12:46 PM
Just say the word and I will be at your house with tools. I bet we could get Wes and Tch2fly there as well. We'll have the whole thing done and the hard top stowed safely in 2 hours.

Seriously, you have a garage spot for your 40. There is no reason to ever put the hard top back on the Cruiser ever again. If I had a third garage bay, I would probably run only the bikini top (not even the soft top).

Another benefit of removing the hard top -- you'll feel like your Cruiser gained an extra 30 HP. You don't realize how heavy the hard top is!

Yup, and they're actually quieter without the top and doors rattling. I'll lend a hand. Name the time. :thumb:

FJBRADY
08-07-2009, 01:05 PM

I am down the street....name the date. We can install the seat belts while we are at it!

corsair23
08-07-2009, 01:38 PM
No excuses with this gang :D

Maybe I'll have everyone over to drink a :beer: while we watch the hoist system (hopefully) do all the work :thumb:

PabloCruise
09-13-2009, 10:30 PM
Not sure if this will help anyone, but I finally finished my host the way I wanted it to function and took the top off last weekend. Just in time for more rain this weekend! It has been a weird summer... :rolleyes:

Anyway, I hope these help - Jeff, you gotta get that top off!

Basically I mounted a hand which to the garage door header, hung some pulleys from the garage ceiling joists, cable through the pulleys. For the front, I run a 2x4 through the door opening. For the back, I run a 1x3/8 metal ribbon through the upper rear door hinge and use the hand winch to lift. Once the top is lifted all the way up, I use nylon webbing as a safety.

PabloCruise
09-13-2009, 10:33 PM
This makes a fine time to wax your roof cap, or do some headliner repair!

Also, the only time I clean the quarter windows by the roll bar is when the top is off.

MDH33
09-13-2009, 10:56 PM
Funny that this thread was resurrected. (awesome lift Pablo!)

It was snowing up in Breck this weekend and it was making me consider getting the hard top back on my 40 for the Outlaws Run. ;)

Shark Bait
09-13-2009, 11:05 PM
You know, I have always taken the top off of the sides. It's much easier to store that way and I never had issues putting it back together. It makes it easier to store, too. Seems simpler to me. :D

Hulk
09-14-2009, 12:56 PM
X2. My fiberglass top is snugged up to the ceiling of my garage, and the side pieces and doors are in my crawl space. Much easier to store in pieces.

corsair23
09-14-2009, 02:48 PM
Thanks for the pics TJ :thumb:

Interesting approach on the rear...I've been contemplating (and we all know that I contemplate a LOT :hill:) how to attach my hoist at both ends (due to the full cage) and I like your idea for the rear. Then I remembered, I have a hatch, not doors :doh:

Hoist looks good :D

PabloCruise
09-14-2009, 10:47 PM
Thanks for the pics TJ :thumb:

Then I remembered, I have a hatch, not doors :doh:

Hoist looks good :D

Curses!!!

Well, good luck.

Honestly, I don't need another thing to take apart on my 40! This way lifts the top nice and quickly, and keeps it ready to go back on when I want the 40 to feel 300 lbs heavier...

PabloCruise
10-28-2009, 10:01 PM
Well, the top went back on this past Sunday.

I guess that ended up being pretty good timing!