PDA

View Full Version : fj80 axle flip???

The Czar and Roc Dog
08-05-2009, 07:03 PM
I have been studying options for SAS on an FJCruiser.
Wanted to stay Toyota but don't have the money for a total Diamond package.

I saw an episode of Extreme 4x4 where they flipped the fj80 axle to a driver's side drop. The knuckle balls welds were cut and the balls rotated 180 degrees the cover was also cut, rotated and re welded. I will be buying an e-locker third w/4.88 gears.
I am hoping the axle and the associated components will be useable in the short term and upgrades can be done as funds allow.
Have any of you heard of this mod or have any input on pitfalls I may encounter.
Would 600$ be a fair price for an FJ80 high pinion front axle.
Thanks
Larry

AxleIke
08-05-2009, 10:08 PM
That is a lot of work and effort for an 8" front diff going under a heavy truck with big tires.

One ton running gear is out there already with driver drop. Not toyota, but lots of support in the aftermarket.

Pitfalls would be project dependent. Every project has them. Cutting up an axle isn't that bad, but its not something on the list of easy projects. If you get the balls mis-matched, or your caster angle off, you'll get a sweet case of death wobble. Leaks come to mind as another possible issue. None of those are insurmountable, but they are the few I could think of.

A number of folks here have cut and rotated toyota axles. They'll be able to better answer your questions.

In addition, High steer isn't cheap for these axles. The OTT arms appear to be the only ones you can run leaf springs with (I could be wrong). Are you planning to go with leaves or links? The budget considerations you posted would seem to indicate leaves.

Others will know better on the intricacies of the cut and turn.

Personally, for the FJC, I'd go bigger and wider than the 80 axle.

The Czar and Roc Dog
08-05-2009, 10:39 PM
Thanks Ike for the response.
I was under the impression that the fj 80 axle was 69.75 inches wide wms to wms. Once again I'm probably wrong. I am copying a sas project off the fj Cruiser forum a three link w/ panhard using 12" travel coil-overs. I have looked at dana axles as an alternative to toyota axles. I would like an electric locker third member.
Diamond would build me the perfect axle. she's a beauty complete hub to hub w/ high steer. I am sure it is worth every penny, it's just alot of pennies.
Larry

Red_Chili
08-06-2009, 09:12 AM
Maybe not so much when compared to the alternative$. With a Diamond (or... shudder... maybe others? Dunno.), you can do anything you want. Currie HP 9" with Dana 60 outers? Ford 9" with 30 spline Longs? Name your poison.

AxleIke
08-06-2009, 10:34 AM
The 80 front is 63.5" wms to wms. 69.75 is full width, like a D60 or the like.

Since you are linking you can get the slee arms for high steer as well.

Diamonds are certainly the bomb. Just for your consideration, but you are talking about 600 for your FJ80 housing...Granted, its complete, but once you add in the gears, the axles and the high steer, plus the rebuild, you are talking about replacing all but the housing, spindles, and hubs. With the diamond, you get a much better housing for 900, and you can probably source spindles, and hubs for 1-200 bucks. Now you've got an 1100 housing vs 600, but its a MUCH better housing.

In addition, that assumes that you already have all the tools needed for the cut and turn, and the face flip. Add in those costs to the stock 80 housing if you don't have all that.

The rest of the cost is the same between the 80 and Diamond.

AxleIke
08-06-2009, 10:38 AM
To be clear, I'm not trying to talk you out of it, but I've been down this road before, and it never hurts to consider all the options.

If you do proceed with the cut and turn, by all means, post up a build thread...I love seeing sparks and smoke!:weld: