PDA

View Full Version : FJ40 full quarter panel skins

Air Randy
08-12-2009, 02:34 PM
I started out looking for a cheap used qp corner so I could cover up the hole left when I removed the rear aux tank fuel filler. Then Kevin (BIGBLUEFJ) was kind enough to offer a set of used full QP skins for a reasonable price and tote them down to the rally.

Well, before I got them installed I decided I liked the tread plate look better than smooth and ended up ordering a full set of tread plate QP skins and kick plates from Aqualu :o

So, once again, my attempt to save money mushroomed far out of control and I ended up spending a bunch more than planned but it should look good when it's done.

So, anyone with rust holes, dents or a desire to change the shape of their wheel well opening in their quarter panels, I have these available. They're in pretty nice shape. Kevin sold them to me for $70 so thats what I'm asking for them. Thanks-Randy 303-319-8976

EWheeler
08-12-2009, 09:27 PM
They look to be 3/16 or so thick? If they aren't just sheet metal I will take them.

Evan

Air Randy
08-13-2009, 12:01 PM
They look to be 3/16 or so thick? If they aren't just sheet metal I will take them.

Evan

I think they are aluminum

EWheeler
08-13-2009, 04:34 PM
Just responded to you PM asking if they were Aluminum. I am looking for steel replacements for the current sheet metal quarters that I can weld in. Looks like these won't work. Thanks for the response.

Evan

Rzeppa
08-13-2009, 07:37 PM
Steel rocks. It rusts after a long time, but is the shazam. Evan, how tech are you? You can build your own on the cheap...

EWheeler
08-13-2009, 08:42 PM
I could definitely make my own with sheetmetal. I have read multiple threads on tack welding as you go along and bending the sheet metal around the hardtop rail. Turns our good enough for a trail rig. I want my quarters made out of plate steel though so I can scrape them along obstacles and not dent them up. My plan is to raise my inner fenders and also raise the wheel well line with a "comp" cut, so with losing all the metal, I am not too worried about the added weight of the plate.

MDH33
08-17-2009, 08:37 AM
I could definitely make my own with sheetmetal. I have read multiple threads on tack welding as you go along and bending the sheet metal around the hardtop rail. Turns our good enough for a trail rig. I want my quarters made out of plate steel though so I can scrape them along obstacles and not dent them up. My plan is to raise my inner fenders and also raise the wheel well line with a "comp" cut, so with losing all the metal, I am not too worried about the added weight of the plate.

The Bud Built panels look really stout:

http://forum.ih8mud.com/pa-appalachian-land-cruiser-association/193980-new-me-66-fj40-3.html

EWheeler
08-17-2009, 12:22 PM
They are nice, but awfully expensive for something I am going to hack up into a comp cut.