PDA

View Full Version : 80 transmission vs. early 100 transmission

Kipper
08-13-2009, 09:40 AM
My 2001 LX470 seems to have roasted the transmission. Read all about it here (http://forum.ih8mud.com/100-series-cruisers/301533-2001-lx470-dead-transmission.html). :rant::(:confuse2: I am feeling very let down by the trusty cruiser to say the least. Apparently there was a defective part that causes a specific run of these transmissions to die and there is a phantom TSB out there explaining this. I say phantom, because I can't personally find anything, so it may be 'mud hearsay.

From what I've read, my truck has the same tranny, A343F as the 96-97 FZJ80, a transmission known for lasting a long time and very rarely having issues. Is that correct? If that IS correct, read on:

Since a Toyota reman unit is looks to be in the $2000+ range, and IF this really is the same tranny as the 80 series, would sourcing a low mileage 80 transmission to swap in be bad idea? It would save me around $1500 depending what I can find one for and that ain't chump change. In addition, I believe the Toyota transmissions only get a 1 yr warranty. I realize it's a gamble going with used parts, but I'm just sayin' if 80 series transmissions really are rock solid, seems the risk is not too high for the savings. Am I nutz? I mean, is this idea nutz?

Uncle Ben
08-13-2009, 10:16 AM
Not a nutty idea at all except the part about finding a low mileage 80! A quick call to Christo or Robbie will load you up with the ammo you need to make decisions.

Kipper
08-13-2009, 01:51 PM
found one out of a '97 in town in stock with 98k on it for cheap. powderpig points out that in addition to the bell housing being swapped, i would have to source a good V8 torque converter, so that adds to the cost, but still much less than all alternatives. going home in a few hours to pull the pan and see what kinds of fun I find.

TIMZTOY
08-13-2009, 05:25 PM
just buy a master rebuild kit for $200ish and rebuild it your self.. its easy, expectually if you have the rebuild book.. i bought my 99 taco for $300 with blown Tanny, rebuilt for $200 + $220 for new torque converter.. if time is not a issue I'll rebuild it for you once i get my own house with garage.. but that should be about 1-2 months.. but it would save you loads..

this is the company that i used, cheapest i found on the net with extremely awesome customer support, then even have on-line text or speech chat with the sales persons, and will also go out of the way to find you the right part..
http://www.cobratransmission.com
i just looked up and they have rebuild kits and overhaul manuals for all land cruisers

Kipper
08-13-2009, 08:26 PM
I was just telling my wife that I wish I had a garage so I could do it myself, but really with a new baby, a 2 yr old, a job, trying to sell my house, etc etc, no way. Why does this stuff always hit at the worst possible time?:confused::cheers:

Kipper
08-13-2009, 08:27 PM
transmission FAIL!

Kipper
08-13-2009, 08:38 PM
oh good, it's here!

subzali
08-13-2009, 08:47 PM
The thing I would be careful of is whether the programming or valving is different for the 80 vs. the 100. I know my 4.7L engine is not compatible (easily) with a 100 series 4.7L engine, even from the same year (2000). Don't know if it's the same with the trannies, but...

A TSB (I think) should tell you what you need to do to fix the tranny problem. It might be as simple as replacing a part or three, but I'm not sure if you're saying Toyota's solution to the failing trannies is to buy a new one from them. That might be what you're saying, in which case I understand why you're looking at the 80 series trannies. Could you go with another 100 series tranny that is out of the range for the TSB? I agree with Kevin call Christo and see what he has to say...

Corbet
08-13-2009, 09:22 PM
I would also say call Christo or Robbie.

Check to see if the valve bodies are different between a 100/80 as the torque curves of both engines are certainly different. Mr. T may have adjusted them accordingly either mechanically or electronically.

TIMZTOY
08-14-2009, 09:12 PM
Why does this stuff always hit at the worst possible time?:confused::cheers:

to test you !!!!
if you can waite ill help..

looks like your gears on one of your drums ground away..