PDA

View Full Version : Woodwork/Cabinet Work

Shark Bait
08-13-2009, 11:46 AM
Does anyone think this entertainment center could be "chopped", lowering the top to about 6" above the opening? And still look good? We like the piece, but I am wanting to get a new TV and it won't fit the opening. I don't know any wood workers or cabinet makers and thought I'd see if any of you did. I guess part of the equation would be what the cost of doing it would be. TIA

MDH33
08-13-2009, 12:01 PM
it would probably be simpler to raise the "floor" where the tv sits up 6". You could add a shelf under it maybe?

corsair23
08-13-2009, 12:57 PM
Chris,

No ideas really other than that a furniture place I use to work at years ago used a placed called Ackerman's (http://www.ackermans.com/) for all of our wood work repair etc. They always seemed to do an excellent job and some of the pieces they worked on were units worth thousands at the retail level...

Shark Bait
08-13-2009, 02:33 PM
Great idea, Jeff. I'll shoot them a message. :)

RockRunner
08-13-2009, 03:45 PM
Anything can be done, I used to work for my parents antique shop and refinished/repaired pieces worth in the 6 figures. It all depends what you want, you can lower the right of the cabinet easily enough but than you have the left side with the doors. It would not look good if you kept the doors the original size and drop the top on the TV side.

I would take the doors of, take the top of, cut the supports to the height you need then replace it with the original top. most likely you will see some of the cuts etc. but you can cover them with some more trim.

Cost wise and getting it done right I would charge you $4-600 if you where a customer of the street. Biggest problem you may have is that the support walls are actually solid wood with Oak veneer, that being the case you run into problems removing the top without damage.

I can go into greater detail but I am sure everyone has had enough. i would not do it if it was my piece. I know it was costly when you bought it and now you most likely can't sell it for a fraction of what it cost, a common problem with TV/wall units.

LMK if you want more info.

PS Ackerman and Son do good work but they dip their pieces, not hand strip and that dries the wood out and changes the natural colors. JMO

Shark Bait
08-14-2009, 12:30 AM
Well, Ackerman quoted me around $800 via email. :eek: We'll be turning this in to a bookcase and finding something else.

Thanks everyone!