PDA

View Full Version : Magnaflow muffler with 2F

Jacket
08-13-2009, 01:26 PM
So I paid a visit to Exhaust Pros today to get a quote for a new exhaust for the 40. I want to have it tucked along side the frame rail, above the skid plate, and I want to run a smaller muffler above and in front of the rear axle (like the early model FJ40's), exiting on the driver side behind the back tire. Most of all, I want it QUIET.

So this guy at Exhaust Pros was really pimpin' the Magnaflow mufflers, despite my repeated cries for a quiet system. He said it was "quiet enough", and that the performance improvements of the Magnaflow over stock/generic would far outweigh any noise concerns. Not sure I'm buying into that theory.....

So anyone here running Magnaflow on their 40 with the 2F? I'm mostly concerned about noise with the top off and/or on the trail - I really don't want to listen to my muffler all day. Other options would be whatever generic oval muffler they have, or I could get an OEM muffler and have them install it.

Opinions?

RicardoJM
08-13-2009, 01:40 PM
Yup, I got an opinion follow your gut feel on this. I had a new exhaust put in the Bronco using the Hooker Aerochamber muffler (just like a magnaflow) and it is not a quiet system. It sounds real cool and performance improved, but is a far cry from a regular muffler when it comes to sound. Now Magnaflow has a few mufflers in their series line up and it could be that the muffler guy is talking about one that is quiet - did he mention a model number?

IIRC, the "traditional" magnaflow is series 40 and people get it for the loud grumble that it makes. While I really like the sound of the Bronco, I also like that it is not my DD.

CardinalFJ60
08-13-2009, 02:03 PM
I have a magnaflow on my 60. it sounds GREAT - it's a tad louder than stock, but not overbearing by any means. I do have a cat on the 60, so your 40 might sound a little different. Boulder Muffler did the work on the 60.

a word of caution on placement in your 40. the PO of my 40 had some nice exhaust work done....however...it's tucked so nicely above the frame rails that it's reeeaaallly close to the floor. Even with one of those heat-shield blankets on the muffler, the floor above it gets to be about 175degrees. it was MUCH hotter before I did that. I need to get that addressed since I can't really put anything there.

I have a few pics of my setup if you want. it's kinda goofy in that he had a Flowmaster installed with dual outlets...they exit on either side of the rear. Sounds like a V8...which is equally cool as it is un-cool.

corsair23
08-13-2009, 04:14 PM
Hmmm...

Put a magnaflow on the Durango way back when...It wasn't "quiet" by any means but sounded great with the V8 and the burble - At idle it was as quiet as stock, but on the gas no where near as quiet. At speed on the highway it wasn't annoying but in an open air 40?...Maybe like Ricardo says they make a quieter muffler.

FJBRADY
08-13-2009, 04:34 PM
I have a cat back exhaust on the FJC and the 40 and love the sound. At idle on both you hardly notice it and sound is great past 3000 rpm. FJC is AFE and the 40 is magnaflow, but behind a V8. This probably does not help you, but it's what I got :cheers:

As far as noise on the 40 at highway speeds all I hear are the tires howling and the wind wafting through my hair.

SteveH
08-13-2009, 04:40 PM
My exhaust guy would put 'quiet' mufflers on non-cat equipped older trucks and 'louder' (less baffled) ones on newer, cat-equipped trucks. That cat does some of the muffling. He cautioned people that SUVs are a big echo chamber, and where you can put a loud muffler on a pickup, and the sound radiates to an open bed, if you put the same muffler on an SUV, you can end up with booming inside sounds on an SUV. I'd vote for a fairly quiet muffler on an FJ40.

I think any hopes of a big performance gain on an FJ40 are only in the mind of the guy selling you the muffler. There are quiet, high-flow mufflers and heavy-duty truck mufflers that are not loud. I would not get a typical, crimped-end cheapie car muffler to put under a 40.

subzali
08-13-2009, 04:50 PM
The exhaust shop I went to (and is now out of business thankfully) put on a Flo-Pro. It sounds fine, it's loud enough that I can hear it on the trail when I'm working the engine going up a narrow, banked trail but it is not anywhere near bothering me. But it runs above the skid plate as well and my tranny hump gets really friggin' hot (too hot to hold my hand on) - I have a rubber floor mat under my feet so that keeps me from feeling the heat on the floorboard but I do know it's there.

Jacket
08-16-2009, 10:14 AM
I have a magnaflow on my 60. it sounds GREAT - it's a tad louder than stock, but not overbearing by any means. I do have a cat on the 60, so your 40 might sound a little different. Boulder Muffler did the work on the 60.

a word of caution on placement in your 40. the PO of my 40 had some nice exhaust work done....however...it's tucked so nicely above the frame rails that it's reeeaaallly close to the floor. Even with one of those heat-shield blankets on the muffler, the floor above it gets to be about 175degrees. it was MUCH hotter before I did that. I need to get that addressed since I can't really put anything there.

I have a few pics of my setup if you want. it's kinda goofy in that he had a Flowmaster installed with dual outlets...they exit on either side of the rear. Sounds like a V8...which is equally cool as it is un-cool.

Thanks. I'm a bit concerned about heat build-up as well, so I guess I'll have to think some more about that. Maybe there's a beefy heat shield out there that I could use?

I wouldn't mind hearing your muffler if you could spare a few minutes or your out cruising Louisville in the 60? Or at a meeting? I agree that it's going to sound different in the 40 vs. the 60 (especially with no top), but it might help me nonetheless.
I'm not in a huge hurry, but the 6" hole in my current exhaust is getting old....

Air Randy
08-16-2009, 07:13 PM
I had a new exhaust system put on at Midas. I had them use a stock muffler for a turbo equipped car (I forget which one but it doesnt matter). They can put one on the same size as your stock muffler and it will flow better but be just as quiet as stock.

My muffler is in the stock location up near the frame on the left side ahead of the rear axle, there is no way it could ever get hit on the trail unless other major components get hit first, yet there is enough air gap that there is no heat transfer to the interior.