PDA

View Full Version : Front rotors and oilpan gasket job.

jettaglxdriver
08-13-2009, 06:20 PM
Looks like I am calling off work tomorrow. I tore into this little project and it's not so little.

Holy crap those rotor studs are in there. Working now to seperate my first rotor from the hub.

TIMZTOY
08-13-2009, 06:34 PM
pictures....

jettaglxdriver
08-13-2009, 11:46 PM
None yet. I did take a couple but there is nothing special really. The oil pan was straight forward and ElliotB was a huge help there. The rotors on the other hand. OMG what a PITA. I got the rotors on and the hubs all back on I hate that little keeper clip on the end of the birfield. THe calipers are on after some minor dust shield trimming with tin snips, and the oil pan is back on. I also got a new gasket for the oil drain plug I had a drip there. Tomorrow the oil goes in and the brakes get bled out and I see if the headaches were worth it.

jettaglxdriver
08-14-2009, 01:50 PM
Got it back together today and drove it to return the caliper cores and wash it. I cleaned up the bottom of the engine and trans pretty well I want to see how effective this was. I am going to have to bleed the brakes again to get the last bubbles out. I will then decide if I have to replace the master cyl also and if I stay stock or upgrade it.

I ended up having to do the brakes now even though I didn't want to spend the money on them because I had a hanging caliper.

ElliottB
08-14-2009, 04:28 PM
See any leaks yet?

A patient at work today pointed out a big grease spot on the side of my neck. Apparently I missed that one cleaning up last night. :D

jettaglxdriver
08-14-2009, 04:48 PM
LOL Sorry.

Thanks much Elliot for the help we got about 95% of the job done last night.

jettaglxdriver
08-15-2009, 12:41 AM
Drove it about 30 miles today. I keep rechecking the torque on front lugs because those studs are still seating some. I also have not seen a drop of oil yet. I will get under it again tomorrow to look at the pan see if any drips are forming. Then that just leaves bleeding the brakes one more time to get rid of the last little bits of air.

Rzeppa
08-17-2009, 09:37 PM
I hate that little keeper clip on the end of the birfield.

It's actually super easy and with with the right tool:

http://rzeppa.org/resto/p2118.jpg

ElliottB
08-17-2009, 10:25 PM
What tool is that? I know its not standard snap ring pliers. That clip is a PITA!

wesintl
08-17-2009, 10:33 PM
It's not a snap ring it's a lock ring ;)

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00947386000P?keyword=lock+ring+pliers

hopfully you won't have any leaks on the pan. I know that feeling.

ElliottB
08-21-2009, 12:30 AM
How are you liking the upgraded rotors/calipers? I'm pretty close to ripping out my axles and looking to upgrade during the overhaul.