PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Corolla - 4500 mile service engine light?

subzali
08-13-2009, 09:43 PM
Hey all you Toyota technicians - Jacki's 2009 Corolla S just turned 4500 miles today and now she is noticing that the "service engine soon" light is blinking three or so times right when she start her car up, then it goes off. Does this have something to do with making sure the first oil change is done while the engine is getting broken in? Will pulling the battery cable for 1/2 hour reset it? Thanks, she's going to call the dealer in the morning as well but I wanted to see what was up.

nakman
08-13-2009, 09:46 PM
Almost postive it's related to your oil change interval. our Prius does that, then at 5000 the "maintenance required" light will stay on. Once you change the oil you reset it, then in another 4500 miles it will start blinking at you again, then at 5000 stay on, etc.

edit: Is there a corollachat forum somewhere? I suspect there is and the steps would be pretty easy to find. It will go something like this:

1) display the "A" tripmeter, main odometer.
2) Turn hybrid system off.
3) Press and HOLD the mileage RESET button, then press the POWER switch.
4) A message "OIL MILEAGE RESET MODE"
5) Hold the knob for at least 5 seconds, until "COMPLETE" message appears and "OIL MILEAGE RESET MODE" goes off.

Then talk to BVB next club function and ask him what maintenance intervals are important, and what ones you can essentially blow off. But you probably got one of those new car "maintenance passports" right? Pretty much spells it out... though when I see "inspect CV joint" I tend to say "yup, there it is..." :lmao:

DaveInDenver
08-14-2009, 05:22 AM
Same thing on our 4Runner. Let the oil go too long and maintenance light flashes at start-up.

Three Wheel Ben
08-14-2009, 06:59 AM
It flashes 4500 miles from when it was last reset and comes on solid 5000 miles. It is just a fancy oil change sticker. Tim has given the reset procedure. Some cars it has to be on the odo and some it has to be on trip a when you start the reset.

hth

I remember when I was at Kuni we had a car towed from grand junction because the maint reqd light was on. $800 tow bill for nothing.

Squishy!
08-14-2009, 04:26 PM
Ya just set your trip meter to the "A" mileage reading
Turn ignition off
Hold the odometer reset button
Turn ignition on (don't start the engine)
bars across the odometer will flash until it flashes "000000" three times
Done!

:thumb:

TIMZTOY
08-14-2009, 08:49 PM
correct.. some cars are set on the odometer setting, others are trip A.. there might even be some cars that require trip B

with it on odo, or trip
*turn key off
*hold odo button
*line of bars will come up, and start to count down
"-----"
"----"
"---"
"--"
"-"
"000000"

finshed..