PDA

View Full Version : CO2 air tools

FJBRADY
08-14-2009, 08:25 AM
I have a CO2 set up and want to purchase an air tool to rotate tires, remove bolts, ect.

What works, what is recommended and where do I find on the South Side of town?

Any advice is appreciated!

Beater
08-14-2009, 10:29 AM
any and cheap. I recommend HF for that type of stuff. pawnshops are another option

rover67
08-14-2009, 11:25 AM
May want to look into getting a decent impact wrench rather than skimping on it. it is the one Item that will leave you wanting more when you need it the most. The expensive big one at NAPA is a good one.

just my opinion...

DaveInDenver
08-14-2009, 11:29 AM
Do you guys who run air tool on CO2 do anything special to treat them? Do you use line dryers or something to prevent H2CO3 corrosion? Back in a previous job we had major issues with carbonic acid corrosion and had to use certain grades of stainless (high chromium if memory serves) to minimize problems if there were any condensation (inevitable in Missouri dealing with cryogenics). Is this potential pitting even a problem outside my mind?

Red_Chili
08-14-2009, 11:38 AM
Not if you go cheap.

Some folks feel the same risk is posed for our wheels and tires. Never heard of a failure related to it. I've never heard an alien transmission either, but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

DaveInDenver
08-14-2009, 11:51 AM
Not if you go cheap.

Some folks feel the same risk is posed for our wheels and tires. Never heard of a failure related to it. I've never heard an alien transmission either, but that doesn't mean they don't exist.
Aluminum wheels wouldn't be a problem, just steelies because of the iron. It also is primarily an issue in the presence of water, right? The CO2 should be dry (lest their bulk tanks would corrode, although most dewars and portable tanks are either stainless or aluminum), just would be worried about moisture present or leaked in and that's probably not much.

nakman
08-14-2009, 04:43 PM
I have a CO2 set up and want to purchase an air tool to rotate tires, remove bolts, ect.

What works, what is recommended and where do I find on the South Side of town?

Any advice is appreciated!

My advice is a cheap HF impact wrench, something that will bust off a pinion nut, and try to never use it. It's a waste of CO2 IMO, is more crap to carry, and it will guarantee you run out of gas before you're finished airing up your tires. Also 150psi and cold air isn't really good for things, but as Dave eludes to there are ways to overcome those... but I'd try to just not use anything enough to make that a factor. In my 3 years of running CO2 I did carry an air impact, and it was used exactly once- by Ige at CM.

For trail recoveries, I now have a 18v Ryobi impact wrench that I toss in along with a backup spare battery http://www.amazon.com/Factory-Reconditioned-Ryobi-ZRP230-Impact-Driver/dp/B0015IZHEK It's not tough enough to bust stuff free, but once you do that with the breaker bar it's way tough enough to zip stuff off and on, and much less cumbersome since there's no hose. One battery will way outlast the job, and having the spare makes sure you never need it.. and it's pretty easy to get a feel for what's snug, tight, pretty tight, real tight, etc. just like a cordless drill.

So for example when there's a flat tire I'll break the lug nuts free with the 21 on the breaker bar, then put the 21 on the Ryobi and zip them off... then run the nuts back in with the Ryobi which eventually takes them to about 50-60 ft/poundsd, then put the 21 on the torque wrench.

So MHO is don't bother.. ymmv :beer:

Squishy!
08-14-2009, 04:44 PM
X2 on the pawns. I found an IngersollRand Titanium 1/2" for $200 at a pawnshop on Broadway (I paid $500 for mine...)

corsair23
08-14-2009, 05:12 PM
Hmmm...

Just wheel with Nakman! That boy has all the :cool: toys :D

Me, I break out the OEM lug nut wrench from the OEM bag, break 'em loose, and then grumble as my hands and fingers get tired from spinning the lug nuts off :hill: - Just reverse the process on install and then borrow Nakman's torque wrench...

FJBRADY
08-14-2009, 06:12 PM
Hey guys thanks for all the advice. I decided to check out Napa and found a good mid range tool.

I don't think I am going to take this on the trail...my purpose in this is general maintenance. I have a leaky rear shock to replace so I will replace both rear shocks on the 40. Also I will put both rigs on jack stands every 3k or so and rotate the tires. I will use the air tools simply to unseat the nuts not to tighten them, not to mention that the sound of air tools is wicked cool.

TIMZTOY
08-14-2009, 08:43 PM
if its just a trail setup. then id go name brand/used route.. you shouldnt have any problems at all using CO2.. just lube your tools on a regular bassis.. most ppl dont do it nearlly enough. i lube mine every day. but also use it everyday.. youll also get what you pay for in the world of airtools.. so keep that in mind if your going to buy a cheepy.. frozen up suspentions bolts can require a hell of alot on forse, and good impacts have much more punch than cheap ones..

Corbet
08-14-2009, 09:18 PM
my 1/2" SnapOn (600 ft/lbs) impact uses a lot of CO2 quickly. Not a good option IMO for trail use. A 3/8" maybe as it will require much less air to operate. I opted for a good battery impact (325 ft/lbs) to carry in the truck. Not cheap but most always you get what you pay for with tools. Both of them I got on Ebay for much less than my local retail options.

When I do run the CO2 I just use the standard oil as recommended for the tool.

Rzeppa
08-14-2009, 11:21 PM
My advice is a cheap HF impact wrench, something that will bust off a pinion nut, and try to never use it. It's a waste of CO2 IMO, is more crap to carry, and it will guarantee you run out of gas before you're finished airing up your tires.

I agree with the cheapness for trail tools! My personal, first-hand experience is that any old cheap-a$$ed impact is super duper handy with CO2, an that regular OBA doesn't cut is breaking that stuborn pinion nut free when you are trying to swap the companion flange that fits for the one that came on the 3rd member that someone gave you.

150 PSI CO2 does the trick. 90 PSI OBA doesn't.

Fancy-pansy air tools make little difference on the trail, but they hold up better in the shop.

Just my experience, take it with $0.02...

Happy cruisin'!

Rzeppa
08-17-2009, 08:28 PM
any and cheap. I recommend HF for that type of stuff. pawnshops are another option

X2. Trail tools, not shop tools.

Rzeppa
08-17-2009, 08:29 PM
May want to look into getting a decent impact wrench rather than skimping on it. it is the one Item that will leave you wanting more when you need it the most. The expensive big one at NAPA is a good one.

just my opinion...

I have my good stuff in the rollaway at home, the cheap stuff goes on the trail. Lost, stolen, run over or otherwise thrashed it's no big thing, and with 150 PSI CO2 it'll bust loose that stubborn pinion nut just fine.

TIMZTOY
08-18-2009, 07:46 AM
pawn shop a good brand one. that way you have the extra balls of a nice one, for the price of a HF , win win:cheers:

DaveInDenver
08-18-2009, 07:59 AM
For trail recoveries, I now have a 18v Ryobi impact wrench that I toss in along with a backup spare battery http://www.amazon.com/Factory-Reconditioned-Ryobi-ZRP230-Impact-Driver/dp/B0015IZHEK It's not tough enough to bust stuff free, but once you do that with the breaker bar it's way tough enough to zip stuff off and on, and much less cumbersome since there's no hose. One battery will way outlast the job, and having the spare makes sure you never need it.. and it's pretty easy to get a feel for what's snug, tight, pretty tight, real tight, etc. just like a cordless drill.
Kevin's cordless impact did the trick to run the stake nut off my t-case output shaft the night before Rubithon. Wasn't too loud either, being that it was about 11PM at night.

LARGEONE
11-18-2009, 09:57 AM
I'm looking for advice on what type of hose to get for my new CO2 setup. I've got a tank. I just got a regulator. Now, I need a good coiled Air Hose. I've seen cheap ones, but I'm uncomfortable with the higher pressures (160 PSI). Should I look for poly hose with braiding? Is there a brand I should go with? Any advice is appreciated and if you have links, even more so.

Also, do you use quick connects on both sides of the hose, or just the side for the Air Tools?

Thanks...I'll finally be able to air up after a run now!!!

wesintl
11-18-2009, 10:30 AM
call me old school but i hardly ever break out air tools

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:1Uk2umP2GamYrM:http://www.internetpress.com/subjects/2009/0511001/images/IP07_pipe.png

FJBRADY
11-18-2009, 10:40 AM
Paul,

I have the standard coiled yellow hose from power tank, don't know the rating. I recommend a universal quick disconnect so you can snap in power tools or a tire pressure gauge.

rover67
11-18-2009, 11:34 AM
I got mine at HF. it was less than 4 dollars. I use it at 160psi routinely.

I'd get a nicer one though, powertank had one reasonably priced the last time I looked.

LARGEONE
11-18-2009, 11:37 AM
I will definitely have a disconnect on the tool side of the hose, but do you also have one on the tanks side of the hose, or is the hose always attached at the gauge?

I looked at the powertank hoses and they seemed really overpriced. I was hoping someone could steer me toward a cheaper alternative. I'm a cheap-a$$!!! I bought my tank with CO2 in it for $40 and my regulator from a friend for $25. So, I really don't want to pay an equal amount for a hose :)

Is your air hose 20 or 25 feet? Any suggestions on length?

rover67
11-18-2009, 11:44 AM
You can get a section of straight hose and do it that way.. a few folks in the club do that.

If you want to cheap it out, try the HF one. Mine blew up near the end once and it was easy to fix.

FJBRADY
11-18-2009, 11:57 AM
I will definitely have a disconnect on the tool side of the hose, but do you also have one on the tanks side of the hose, or is the hose always attached at the gauge?

I looked at the powertank hoses and they seemed really overpriced. I was hoping someone could steer me toward a cheaper alternative. I'm a cheap-a$$!!! I bought my tank with CO2 in it for $40 and my regulator from a friend for $25. So, I really don't want to pay an equal amount for a hose :)

Is your air hose 20 or 25 feet? Any suggestions on length?

I have a disconnect at the tank so when I bring it in for a refill I take off the hose. I would guess the hose it 20 feet stretched out........

Rzeppa
11-18-2009, 03:16 PM
I'm looking for advice on what type of hose to get for my new CO2 setup. I've got a tank. I just got a regulator. Now, I need a good coiled Air Hose. I've seen cheap ones, but I'm uncomfortable with the higher pressures (160 PSI). Should I look for poly hose with braiding? Is there a brand I should go with? Any advice is appreciated and if you have links, even more so.

Also, do you use quick connects on both sides of the hose, or just the side for the Air Tools?

Thanks...I'll finally be able to air up after a run now!!!

I use a coiled hose from Sears, with quick disconnects added.

RockRunner
11-18-2009, 09:11 PM
Quick disconnects on the tank and the end. The HF may hold up but in colder weather they barely stretch and become really hard. I have the Power tank one and it stays soft in the cold and that is after 5 years. Don't go cheap but don't overspend, try sears like mentioned before. Oh and 25' works pretty well on my 4Runner.

Mendocino
11-18-2009, 09:23 PM
I got http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200342894_200342894 from Northern Tool and it is fantastic. Its SUPER quiet. I have only used it on compressed air, but I am extremely happy with it (Northern Tool not so much:mad:)
http://www.northerntool.com/images/product/images/1540326_lg.gif

Art Volmer
11-19-2009, 09:34 PM
I bought these S&K impacts from sears for a great price.
The 3/8 impact came with a full socket set.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00919330000P?keyword=sk+air+tools
The 1/2 came with the flip sockets for lug nuts and it claims 700 ft/lbs of torque. http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00919331000P?keyword=sk+air+tools
Both tools plus high quality sockets for less than one gun of other brands.:thumb: Happy shopping, Art