PDA

View Full Version : ok, finally found crappy quality on toyota

Beater
08-15-2009, 12:32 AM
so I am going to pick up the fridge from cbmontgo and decide that before I hit the road, I should have the wife look at the trailer lights even though everything was cool last time. You know me.... SOOOOO no right lights.. hmmm

no right tail light on the truck either... brakes are good, no nothing right side. So I start as normal at the bulb and work back check bulb, power, etc etc.. get back to the tail-light assembly and sure as ****, the toyota branded trailer harness has completely failed. I mean that several connector point inside the connectors had faded to green dust. ON BOTH SIDES.. How did I find out both sides? well let me tell you...

I bypass the dead section on the passenger side only to find an improper voltage and short.. hmmm. right side is fixed. Let me trace this one flipping wire that goes to the other side... the drivers side proceeds to fall apart in a cloud of green dust. ARRRGGHH. the male end of the ****ty connector failed and left itself imbedded into the factory side of the harness.

I was able to get the connectors back together without the trailer harness, but now my back hurts from hauling that damn fridge up into the LIFTED pickup bed, instead of my low arse trailer...

grrrrrr

MDH33
08-17-2009, 08:34 AM
Sounds more like Mag-Chloride damage than faulty Toyota parts. I have had to rewire the rear lights and trailer harness on my 60 twice in the last few years due that stuff eating the wiring.

nuclearlemon
08-17-2009, 08:50 AM
i'll second mag chloride. when i was at freightliner, we sold taillight harnesses to the city by the barrelfulls after they started spraying mag chloride. but it's not corrosive :rolleyes:

Squishy!
08-17-2009, 09:45 AM
Ya right combine a chemical that has minor corrocsive tendancies and combine it with DC current. BAM! :( you just sped up the corrosion.

And try telling me it's not corrosive after looking at my fiance's headlights on her Honda... :rant: