PDA

View Full Version : Front drive shaft, I need some help.

Amendment44
08-15-2009, 04:08 PM
I've been building up my rig, and its soo close to being legit, but i've run into a problem.

My front drive shaft is too short.

I looked up getting one built and Tom Woods wants 450$!

I'm out of cash and this seems excessive when the fastest I go is like 15 on the trail.

I've seen a lot of write ups on people makeing square drive shafts.

Ive weighed the pros and con's and I want to go this route.

Although I only have a little 120amp mig welder. And I'm not very good with it at all.

Has anyone built one of these before? or perhaps you have a beast of a welder and would like to try?

I would surely pay you for your time. and do most of the work. And I wont forget the beer. :beer:

A little bit about my rig.

I got an 84 4runner. solid axel with 5.29 gearing
welded lockers front and rear with 37's.

with my articulation I'm guessing i need about 6'' of travel

Ive been working on this truck for awhile now and am very excited to get this thing finished and do some wheeling. I went to Rising Sun Rally a couple weeks ago and seeing all your rigs got me excited. I would like to start getting involved with you guys.

I can be reached at Blazedrifter3@yahoo.com or 970-219-0310 -Matt

Chris
08-15-2009, 05:21 PM
Save yourself about $350 and use these guys:

Englewood Driveshaft
3364 1/2 South Broadway (alley entrance)
Englewood, CO 80113
303-781-0554

Uncle Ben
08-15-2009, 05:50 PM
Don't do the square driveshaft thang! Central and Southside go to Englewood Driveline and Northside go to Driveline Service of Boulder! I have used Tom Wood shafts before and they are worth the money if you play on big rocks really hard, but you will pay for a "Woody!"

Air Randy
08-15-2009, 07:08 PM
I just had Rocky Mtn Driveline lengthen my rear shaft last week, it took 1 day and was $145.00. They're at 4210 Tennyson.

EWheeler
08-15-2009, 09:17 PM
Save yourself about $350 and use these guys:

Englewood Driveshaft
3364 1/2 South Broadway (alley entrance)
Englewood, CO 80113
303-781-0554

These guys will lengthen & add long slip splines for $100? I highly doubt the stock shaft will have enough spline engagement for his new setup, so just a lengthening will not suffice.

Amendment44
08-15-2009, 11:44 PM
when they lengthen them do they ad travel?

because I only have like 4'' of travel and that wont cut it with the travel I need with my oversized tires.

i'm running pretty tall on 37's. It will fit on and actually drive and work for awile, but when I go off any kind of bump they separate.

Got stuck on a trail after that happend. Then when I had to turn around I ended up popping a birfield. was lame

So I will check out Englewood monday and see if they really will make one custom for 100. that's not bad at all.

Thanks for the quick replays.

EWheeler
08-16-2009, 08:28 AM

Only if you pay them to add longer splines. Let us know what they quote you to lengthen & add a longer slip shaft, I would guess somewhere in the $250+ range. If it is cheaper, I may scrap my square front shaft and make a trip to Denver!

Chris
08-16-2009, 08:37 AM
Nobody will make a custom DS for $100 but do talk to Bill at Englewood about modifying the one you have.

ElliottB
08-16-2009, 02:41 PM
There's nothing wrong with a square driveshaft. I ran one on a trail rig for a little while. It makes some noise while coasting and speeds over 25 mph but is a good, cost-efficient way of running a driveline. Would certainly cost less than $100.

Air Randy
08-16-2009, 06:16 PM

because I only have like 4'' of travel and that wont cut it with the travel I need with my oversized tires.

i'm running pretty tall on 37's. It will fit on and actually drive and work for awile, but when I go off any kind of bump they separate.

Got stuck on a trail after that happend. Then when I had to turn around I ended up popping a birfield. was lame

So I will check out Englewood monday and see if they really will make one custom for 100. that's not bad at all.

Thanks for the quick replays.

Chances are the only reason it separated is because the DS is too short with your lift. Unless you have HUGELY increased the total travel of your suspension (tire size doesn't impact it) it is unlikely your stock slip joint will be too short as long as the DS is the correct length.