PDA

View Full Version : LX450 Center Console Removal...

corsair23
08-16-2009, 07:04 PM
Anyone know how to remove the center console in a LX450?

It shouldn't be that hard but apparently it is smarter than me...The FSM doesn't have squat that I could find, nothing on MUD, even tried a Google search...I'm sure there is something simple I'm missing...

Anyway, I have the two screws on each side of the console out, the two nuts on the bottom of the inner bin are off, and the hidden screw under the cupholder is out. I can't "see" anything else holding that sucker in there but it sure doesn't want to come out...

TIA

Romer
08-16-2009, 08:29 PM
There are more than two screws on the sides if I recall.

Move the seat up and back and feel around. Maybe 2 or 3 on the sides, Iremember having to move the seat and even then having to push the seat down.

corsair23
08-16-2009, 10:34 PM
There are more than two screws on the sides if I recall.

Move the seat up and back and feel around. Maybe 2 or 3 on the sides, Iremember having to move the seat and even then having to push the seat down.

Hmmm...PS seat is out of the truck :rolleyes: - Nothing hiding there...Technically I guess you could say the rear screw holding the shifter console on would make it three screws per side that has to come out. I'll look again tomorrow for another screw that I missed. When you removed yours did it come out easily or did you have to get :rant:with it? Maybe I'm just not pulling hard enough...

Do you remember anything special having to be done with the cupholder? I removed the screw underneath the cupholder and figured the cupholder would come right out but it didn't...I don't want to force it our and break it.

nakman
08-17-2009, 08:48 AM
On a *ahem* real Land Cruiser, there are only three bolts- one below your subwoofer, then two in the larger bin. All of them 12mm sockets, 12" extension, 2 minutes. Then there are two phillips head screws on the side- you have to move the seats all the way back and get in there at an angle with a good #2 screwdriver. I always remove the other two side screws from the tranny cover as well (below the dash), so it's looser and allows the console to wiggle a little more. So 3 bolts, 4 screws total. There's a metal bracket deal that sticks up under the center console just in front of your subwoofer, the center console has to come up before it can slide past it, so the whole deal goes straight up about 2", then you can slide it back and then out.

I'd be surprised if the LX had more attachment points, but hey what do I know... I'm sure you wouldn't make this any harder than it has to be right? :)

corsair23
08-17-2009, 11:48 AM
I'd be surprised if the LX had more attachment points, but hey what do I know... I'm sure you wouldn't make this any harder than it has to be right? :)

Me? Never :D

Thanks for the tips...The FSM shows the two screws on the side and the two nuts (not bolts, but funky nuts, 10mm, threaded on to two bolts) in the bottom of the lower bin. A guy on MUD mentioned having to take the trim surround off around the CD changer so I'll give that a shot. Iron Yuppy on MUD stated the screw under the "cupholder" has to come out for a hidden anchor point but nothing about the cupholder itself coming out...

I'll give the pull up and slide back technique a try tonight after I get the CD changer trim piece off. I figured it would be soooo easy but I've learned when I think it is easy is usually when I break something :rolleyes:

You know it must be easy when after you search there isn't anything to be found...just need to figure out the "trick"

corsair23
08-18-2009, 01:38 AM
You know it must be easy when after you search there isn't anything to be found...just need to figure out the "trick"

I came, I saw, I kicked its....Actually, I just figured out the trick was to pull HARDER :D

The two hidden bolts in the lower bin are a tight fit in the holes and I'm guessing the center (or rear as Mr. T calls it) console has never been out before. No sliding forward or back, just pull straight up forcefully :) - of course that technique for me usually results in broken plastic bits...The worse part was working around the nasty thunderstorms that kept rolling through :eek:

Anyway, the sole reason for doing this was to get to the ground point hiding under the console...My aux fuse block is now grounded there so I can ground stuff to it, or by whatever I'm powering, whatever is closer/easier. I'll probably redo the positive cable lug because it looks like caca compared to the ground lug. A by-product of a late night rush job :rolleyes:

Subwoofer pulled

Ground cable attached

Overkill...But I'll never run out of fuse positions :hill:

Jacket
08-18-2009, 07:33 AM
Good opportunity for a vacuum too!

nakman
08-18-2009, 08:24 AM
Wow, that's a lot of stuff under that there center console! Do you use that subwoofer and CD changer? I'm just thinking of all the wires I've got crammed under mine.... would never fit!

corsair23
08-18-2009, 10:23 AM
Good opportunity for a vacuum too!

For sure :D...Nice and clean now although I must admit, I was really disappointed that the only change I found was a single penny...I read several threads where people took out their center consoles and found a ton of change under them...I got the shaft! :hill:

Wow, that's a lot of stuff under that there center console! Do you use that subwoofer and CD changer? I'm just thinking of all the wires I've got crammed under mine.... would never fit!

For now yes...They are still working so I figure until they die, they stay. I actually like the subwoofer...It won't win any audio contests but for a dinky little 6" woofer (if that), it doesn't sound half bad :)

Hulk
08-18-2009, 11:43 PM
I pulled out my center console a few years ago and found a big diamond ear ring! Alas, it was cubic zirconia.