PDA

View Full Version : Teaser of the new "Jethro"

daisydog34
08-17-2009, 08:41 PM
So I decided to post a couple teaser pics of the new rig, finally came home today after 6 mos worth of fab work. Down to wiring and plumbing basically and maybe a little paint :) Those of you who knew the old 40 that Jethro wheeled in probably wont be able to tell that this is the "same" 40, or at least thats what I started with...

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_HkHLvl_KE3U/SooSu60y3QI/AAAAAAAAACw/WXpnNCLnEM0/s800/IMG_0513.JPG
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_HkHLvl_KE3U/SooSgzVtY0I/AAAAAAAAACQ/66n17ev2dYs/s800/IMG_0507.JPG
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_HkHLvl_KE3U/SooSq-ccrrI/AAAAAAAAACc/PvVrtAVTRl4/s800/IMG_0508.JPG
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_HkHLvl_KE3U/SooStIluHgI/AAAAAAAAACo/PIWsSdDJ-Ng/s800/IMG_0511.JPG
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_HkHLvl_KE3U/SooSt2pxb6I/AAAAAAAAACs/mdwKkymAJpA/s800/IMG_0512.JPG

subzali
08-17-2009, 10:06 PM
Whoa, certainly looks different! Did you do drivetrain mods too (I see a centered rear diff)?

bh4rnnr
08-17-2009, 10:36 PM
Well it's got to be Jethro with the 90 shiling sticker on the back bumper.

The 40's looking good.

Uncle Ben
08-17-2009, 11:13 PM
Looks good. Single shear Hiems on the steering?

Shark Bait
08-17-2009, 11:43 PM
Holy smokes, Batman! :eek:

corsair23
08-18-2009, 01:07 AM
Ummm...You're missing a headlight :hill:

Looks amazing to this untrained eye :D

nakman
08-18-2009, 12:13 PM
Holy cage! :bowdown:

And nice shocks! that angle is a definite upgrade to the wooden 2x2... ;)

Red_Chili
08-18-2009, 02:29 PM
Bezel is upside down.

subzali
08-18-2009, 02:52 PM
bezel has tube running through it!

Uncle Ben
08-18-2009, 03:10 PM
2000lbs of tube and 1500lbs of Cruiser....what up wit dat? ;):p:

DaveInDenver
08-18-2009, 03:13 PM
You're missing a headlight
Definitely need to get that fixed up so that you can stay street legal.

subzali
08-18-2009, 04:16 PM
Does anybody want to play, "Guess that drivetrain"? I'm guessing 3.4L, Taco 5spd and t-case (don't know the number designations). Centered rear diff, but the t-case drop is on the wrong side...:confused:

subzali
08-18-2009, 04:18 PM
missed a tube next to the driver's head...

daisydog34
08-18-2009, 04:28 PM
Ya I thought the missing head light was an added touch :) Ill try and remember to put that in!

Ya UB im not overly happy about the single sheer heims on the steering, may have to change that out. Although now the wifey is wanting to go to like 40's and in my experience 83 front axle housings and knuckles dont really like that much weight hanging out there may have to upgrade the axle to a 60 or a hybrid when I fix the steering to be more stout.

Im kinda supprised somebody noticed the missing tube on the d-side. I walked around it 10 times and never saw that before paint. Rest assured that the piece is sitting in the notcher right now waiting to go on :)

Im wondering how you guessed a 3.4L or maybe I missed something obvious in the pics. Yes its a 3.4L mated to an R151 (taco 5spd) the rest should be slightly obvious if one put some thought into it. The rear end is a taco rear with e-locker. Still haven't decided about a front locker yet. Have been thinking about punking one out of some poor soles 80 ;)

Sitting outside last night I was thinking..."Where in the hell am I going to put the spare?!" any input would be great. Lately I have been thinking about something like the PSC flip down one that you see on J**Ps....

Uncle Ben
08-18-2009, 04:53 PM
Ya I thought the missing head light was an added touch :) Ill try and remember to put that in!

Ya UB im not overly happy about the single sheer heims on the steering, may have to change that out. Although now the wifey is wanting to go to like 40's and in my experience 83 front axle housings and knuckles dont really like that much weight hanging out there may have to upgrade the axle to a 60 or a hybrid when I fix the steering to be more stout.

Im kinda supprised somebody noticed the missing tube on the d-side. I walked around it 10 times and never saw that before paint. Rest assured that the piece is sitting in the notcher right now waiting to go on :)

Im wondering how you guessed a 3.4L or maybe I missed something obvious in the pics. Yes its a 3.4L mated to an R151 (taco 5spd) the rest should be slightly obvious if one put some thought into it. The rear end is a taco rear with e-locker. Still haven't decided about a front locker yet. Have been thinking about punking one out of some poor soles 80 ;)

Sitting outside last night I was thinking..."Where in the hell am I going to put the spare?!" any input would be great. Lately I have been thinking about something like the PSC flip down one that you see on J**Ps....

Go Swampers and leave the spare on the trailer for fun! I have 0 desire to have a 130# "wall" behind me!

subzali
08-18-2009, 05:50 PM
All right! What do I win!? :)

...figured a 3.4 was the most logical mate to a Taco 5 spd, plus other people have talked about it or done it - seems like a cool swap. I thought the t-case exited driver side though - am I wrong?

so you're wanting to do something like this?
http://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/139310-new-bumper-rack.html

DaveInDenver
08-18-2009, 06:04 PM
Im wondering how you guessed a 3.4L or maybe I missed something obvious in the pics. Yes its a 3.4L mated to an R151 (taco 5spd) the rest should be slightly obvious if one put some thought into it.
You can tell by the sticks, obvious from those.

ElliottB
08-18-2009, 06:23 PM
Someone used close to a mile of tube on that thing! Sure isn't going anywhere.

Uncle Ben
08-18-2009, 06:29 PM
All right! What do I win!? :)

...figured a 3.4 was the most logical mate to a Taco 5 spd, plus other people have talked about it or done it - seems like a cool swap. I thought the t-case exited driver side though - am I wrong?

It's easy to get the adapter so you can get rid of the "Lefty."

daisydog34
08-18-2009, 07:52 PM
UB I totally hear ya with the swampers (thats whats on it now just need beadlocks) it is kinda like cutting the umbilical cord though. I have always wheeled with a spare and I think its kinda scary to leave it behind :(

To all others... Matt wins..kinda...The t-case is not from a tacoma obvious becuase it is the wrong side drop. The case is actually dual cases using 80's boxes. This is accomplished very easily, Marlin has the adapter to go from an R151 to an 80's box. The only other thing you need to do is change the input gear from 21 spline to 23 spline. A fairly simple procedure if you have a press :)

To be exact there are 12 sticks 20' long with quite a few drops and that is the complete total front end, cage, shock hoops etc.

daisydog34
08-18-2009, 07:57 PM

ya that was the orginal plan, but more and more of the hard core guys are saying beadlocks and leave the spare on the trailer. I think thats what im leaning towards now. I have enough stuff to put in the back as it is

Uncle Ben
08-18-2009, 08:19 PM
To be exact there are 12 sticks 20' long with quite a few drops and that is the complete total front end, cage, shock hoops etc.

240' of 1.75 x .120HREW I suspect? 1.75x120 HREW is 1.892#/ft 240x1.892=454.01 lbs+welds, plates, bolts, gussets, misc scabs = 500lbs of shark cage! WOW! Thats nearly the weight of all 4 wheels and tires....screw the spare! :eek:

On the serious side....very, very :cool:!

daisydog34
08-18-2009, 08:56 PM
ya pretty much hit the nail on the head there UB, only I didn't use all HREW the main members of the cage, i.e. main hoop, rear hoop, A pillars and rear pillars are DOM. But basically the same weight. The cage its self is only probably a couple hundred pounds me and aaron carried it around the shop with out any trouble. It has a little more tube than the normal cage because the idea was to show what Clover Customs was able to do :)

Thanks for the input. Im thinking about posting up pics of finishing this thing, have all the previous pics, was gonna do a build up thread, but I figured nobody would wanna watch me build my crap.

Uncle Ben
08-18-2009, 09:12 PM
ya pretty much hit the nail on the head there UB, only I didn't use all HREW the main members of the cage, i.e. main hoop, rear hoop, A pillars and rear pillars are DOM. But basically the same weight. The cage its self is only probably a couple hundred pounds me and aaron carried it around the shop with out any trouble. It has a little more tube than the normal cage because the idea was to show what Clover Customs was able to do :)

Thanks for the input. Im thinking about posting up pics of finishing this thing, have all the previous pics, was gonna do a build up thread, but I figured nobody would wanna watch me build my crap.

There is one thing I'm shocked no one has noticed. I can't tell as I know too much but come on guys.......find out what really makes this 40 differant (other than the obvious).... Subzali was amazing in his powertrain observation but still he's a slacker on FJ-40's! ;) :lmao::lmao::lmao:

J Kimmel
08-18-2009, 09:35 PM
looks really good...wouldn't worry too much about the single shear heims though, been running mine like that for 4+ years and no issues yet.

MDH33
08-18-2009, 09:38 PM
There is one thing I'm shocked no one has noticed. I can't tell as I know too much but come on guys.......find out what really makes this 40 differant (other than the obvious).... Subzali was amazing in his powertrain observation but still he's a slacker on FJ-40's! ;) :lmao::lmao::lmao:

There isn't much 40 left. :o

Uncle Ben
08-18-2009, 10:17 PM
There isn't much 40 left. :o

Title still says it is a FJ-40!

subzali
08-19-2009, 06:01 AM
Looks like it's a coil suspension (maybe even on both ends?), with hydro steering. I don't see any leafs but I do see trailing arms (or panhard bars or whatever you want to call them)...are you going to coilover the rear? It looks like a coil spring bucket on the rear axle, but right now there's that angle iron "shock" going up to the shock hoop... UB don't know what else you're referring to?

daisydog34
08-19-2009, 06:16 AM
UB is right you all are missing something quite big about it.

Matt - Yes it has 18" travel coilovers on all 4 corners. There is a dual triangulated 4 link front and rear attaching the axles to the frame.

Uncle Ben
08-19-2009, 06:44 AM
Looks like it's a coil suspension (maybe even on both ends?), with hydro steering. I don't see any leafs but I do see trailing arms (or panhard bars or whatever you want to call them)...are you going to coilover the rear? It looks like a coil spring bucket on the rear axle, but right now there's that angle iron "shock" going up to the shock hoop... UB don't know what else you're referring to?

I wanna give you a hint but I just can't. It's obvious!

BTW Tyler, I love the dash! Is that still in CAD somewhere?

daisydog34
08-19-2009, 07:09 AM
I have a dwf for it. I drew it in SolidWorks. Was going to have it laser cut, but decided against it and cut it with a hole saw and plasma. Turned out pretty good. Started puting switches in it last night will post a pic tonight when i get some goodies in it.

subzali
08-19-2009, 07:22 AM
well besides the obvious (like LOOK! - it has a winch!) I'm not coming up with much. Can't tell what kind of lockers it's going to have (don't see any air lines or electric lines, so I'm guessing spool, Detroit or Lockright etc.), the only thing I'm not getting is the enclosure behind the rear shock towers. What is that? That almost looks like a winch fairlead on the front - I don't get it?

Uncle Ben
08-19-2009, 07:42 AM
well besides the obvious (like LOOK! - it has a winch!) I'm not coming up with much. Can't tell what kind of lockers it's going to have (don't see any air lines or electric lines, so I'm guessing spool, Detroit or Lockright etc.), the only thing I'm not getting is the enclosure behind the rear shock towers. What is that? That almost looks like a winch fairlead on the front - I don't get it?

I am sooooooo disappointed! :(

Look at this picture a bit....
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_HkHLvl_KE3U/SooSgzVtY0I/AAAAAAAAACQ/66n17ev2dYs/s800/IMG_0507.JPG

daisydog34
08-19-2009, 08:09 AM
Actually you can see it even better in this pic if you look at the floor ;)

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_HkHLvl_KE3U/SooStIluHgI/AAAAAAAAACo/PIWsSdDJ-Ng/s800/IMG_0511.JPG

That thing in the back is covering the fuel cell, with storage under it for birfs and axle shafts. Helps keep things together and the dogs off my aluminum fuel cell. You do see a roller fairlead in the back point towards the front that is the rear suck winch

subzali
08-19-2009, 08:41 AM
the rear of the frame is cut off?

The back part of the tub is angled in (think that has a name, but not sure what it's called)?

Uncle Ben
08-19-2009, 09:42 AM
the rear of the frame is cut off?

The back part of the tub is angled in (think that has a name, but not sure what it's called)?

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao: This is too funny! They always say the best place to hide things is right in plane view! :lmao::lmao::lmao:

daisydog34
08-19-2009, 09:49 AM
:D:D:D This is quite comical for those of us who know!

AxleIke
08-19-2009, 09:49 AM
Looks like a sucker winch for the rear axle to me. Helps to get the rear end over obstacles when extreme travel is hurting you rather than helping ie: undercut ledges.

EDIT Should've read the rest of the post above :o

Matt, the angled sides like that are generally called "boatsides".

subzali
08-19-2009, 10:01 AM
Looks like a sucker winch for the rear axle to me. Helps to get the rear end over obstacles when extreme travel is hurting you rather than helping ie: undercut ledges.

EDIT Should've read the rest of the post above :o

Matt, the angled sides like that are generally called "boatsides".

Oh that's cool, never knew that.

AxleIke
08-19-2009, 10:02 AM
:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao: This is too funny! They always say the best place to hide things is right in plane view! :lmao::lmao::lmao:

So visible from 30k feet? :D:D:D:D:D

AxleIke
08-19-2009, 10:07 AM
This must be funny to those in the know.

Only thing I'm seeing is that there is some original floor pan left, as well as it would appear that the outer sil is still intact and a hard top could be refitted possibly.

Questions on the drivetrain:

What year Taco did you get the R151 out of? I was unaware that anything but the turbo trucks had that tranny, as they needed the super low first gear to overcome the turbo lag and low compression motor when first starting off.

Obviously the turbo truck one would be more desirable since it doesn't need any sort of adapter to mate to an 80's xcase, but still, they are a popular tranny for the mini truck guys since they mate to the 3.4 so easily. If they are available on other trucks, that'd be HUGE.

Uncle Ben
08-19-2009, 10:08 AM
So visible from 30k feet? :D:D:D:D:D

Actually I bet you could see it 100' away! :D

Red_Chili
08-19-2009, 10:16 AM
What year Taco did you get the R151 out of? I was unaware that anything but the turbo trucks had that tranny, as they needed the super low first gear to overcome the turbo lag and low compression motor when first starting off.

'87 was the last year for the R151 from minitrucks, available only with the turbo trucks.

IIRC I remember seeing someone referring to an R151 from some offshore cruiser but I have no confidence in that info.

My hunch is he means R150 (Taco 5 spd) which originally mated to the Taco's chain tcase.

subzali
08-19-2009, 10:23 AM
so it's full-time 4-wheel drive?

subzali
08-19-2009, 10:24 AM
Oh I got it! Rear steer!

Uncle Ben
08-19-2009, 10:35 AM
Oh I got it! Rear steer!

You are thinking way too deep!

subzali
08-19-2009, 10:49 AM
EDIT: no that's not it...

Ok we've covered:
-cage
-engine/drivetrain (mostly)
-suspension
-fuel cell
-seats look like they fit like a body glove! :thumb:
-rear axle winch thingy

-I still don't understand what the rear part of the frame is doing sitting out cut off from everything else...

Is the bed bobbed? Looks like he raised the floor pan in the rear...and made it continue flat all the way across...

OH I GOT IT!! He didn't BOB the bed, he STRETCHED IT!!!

daisydog34
08-19-2009, 11:00 AM
'87 was the last year for the R151 from minitrucks, available only with the turbo trucks.

IIRC I remember seeing someone referring to an R151 from some offshore cruiser but I have no confidence in that info.

My hunch is he means R150 (Taco 5 spd) which originally mated to the Taco's chain tcase.

Thanks for the correction, thats what I ment to type last night. It is the R150 Stock 5spd. My bad.

You guys are getting too technical. And the rear frame rails are actually seperate from the front frame rails to make space for the rear coilovers. Thus one of the reasons for sooooooooo much tube, at this point it has become the frame for the vehicle. The actual frame basically just provides a mounting point for other components ie motor tranny, links....

daisydog34
08-19-2009, 11:40 AM

Ok we've covered:
-cage
-engine/drivetrain (mostly)
-suspension
-fuel cell
-seats look like they fit like a body glove! :thumb:
-rear axle winch thingy

-I still don't understand what the rear part of the frame is doing sitting out cut off from everything else...

Is the bed bobbed? Looks like he raised the floor pan in the rear...and made it continue flat all the way across...

GOOD JOB. Yes the rear is streached about 12 inches! The :Princess: wanted more room for the doggies.

Uncle Ben
08-19-2009, 11:43 AM

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao: ding ding ding....we have a winner! Thank you Matt for the big grin and hearty laugh! :thumb::thumb::lmao:

subzali
08-19-2009, 01:31 PM
just doin' my part ;)

:lmao:

Gives me a chance to web wheel :p:

daisydog34
08-19-2009, 01:42 PM
just doin' my part ;)

:lmao:

Gives me a chance to web wheel :p:

Web wheeling is great, but im really looking forward to getting this thing out on a shake down run :D

Uncle Ben
08-19-2009, 01:44 PM
Web wheeling is great, but im really looking forward to getting this thing out on a shake down run :D

How soon ya think? HC is the end of this month and some of us are headed to Penrose next month.

daisydog34
08-19-2009, 02:32 PM
As long as the wifey keeps the funds rollin im hoping for a shake down in a month maybe sooner maybe later. Its Colorado it may never snow...but if it does there is always snow bashing! Aaron (friend of mine) used to be the first one to break through holy cross every year, he wants to do it again, im thinkin that im a little heavier than his single seat though at 3500lbs total weight

daisydog34
08-19-2009, 10:40 PM
Thought I would post up some progress pics and add a link to the build up pics thus far. Beware this album has just over 200 pics in it and is quite time consuming. But might answer come questions people have been asking.

Didn't get a whole lot done tonight, got the main bat wiring done, wired the front winch, got the motor running again, and started to add connectors to the wiring.

Battery location:
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_HkHLvl_KE3U/Soy_MaMwE0I/AAAAAAAAAZ8/s36WAxAwucg/s800/IMG_0514.JPG

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_HkHLvl_KE3U/Soy_M-W7eOI/AAAAAAAAAaA/TejdYSpGH-8/s800/IMG_0515.JPG

Wiring:
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_HkHLvl_KE3U/Soy_N7sJh7I/AAAAAAAAAmM/n_XiNwuoHL8/s800/IMG_0516.JPG

Dash:
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_HkHLvl_KE3U/Soy_OTwRw1I/AAAAAAAAAaI/yAgm9z330_g/s800/IMG_0517.JPG

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_HkHLvl_KE3U/Soy_PBjZFsI/AAAAAAAAAaM/IqecFUWGULU/s800/IMG_0518.JPG

And the link to the build up album:
http://picasaweb.google.com/melow1984/20090131FJ40Buildup?feat=directlink

AxleIke
08-20-2009, 09:41 AM
Looks great!

daisydog34
08-24-2009, 08:52 PM
Has anyone on here had any experience with stainless steel braided brake line? All of my buddies that race at CNS have this and AN fittings ran for their entire brake systems. They opperate at higher temps and more pressure than we do and much higher speeds. But there is something about it that makes me cringe a bit. Just looking for past experience/opinions....

Also was looking on Pirate and the buggie guys are starting to use nylon (plastic) brake lines. They use compression fittings are are CHEAP...rated to 800 degrees and 1900 PSI. The guys that are running it have been for some time now with no issues, other than when other items, broken d-shaft, tear them. Easy to fix on the trail quickly...just another alternative to trying to bend and flare steel line

Link:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=778381&highlight=plumbing+brake+system

Uncle Ben
08-24-2009, 08:56 PM
Has anyone on here had any experience with stainless steel braided brake line? All of my buddies that race at CNS have this and AN fittings ran for their entire brake systems. They opperate at higher temps and more pressure than we do and much higher speeds. But there is something about it that makes me cringe a bit. Just looking for past experience/opinions....

All my flex lines and oil lines are SS. I am a firm follower of secured hardlines for anything that is of distance and loops and SS lines for flex and movement.

daisydog34
08-24-2009, 09:06 PM
Thats what I have usually thought...I have hard line running front to back, but with all the extra stuff that needs to be plumbed in (line lock, brake pressure switch, etc.) thats a lot of bending and flaring.

Uncle Ben
08-24-2009, 09:45 PM
Thats what I have usually thought...I have hard line running front to back, but with all the extra stuff that needs to be plumbed in (line lock, brake pressure switch, etc.) thats a lot of bending and flaring.

Yessir! But when the last drip drips no more you will be stylin'! :cool:;)

subzali
08-25-2009, 06:18 AM
I have been using SS braided brake lines from SOR on my 40 for about 3 years now, have had no leaks, I don't think the brakes really felt much different, but I have peace of mind that I have more resistance to cutting than before!

daisydog34
08-25-2009, 11:36 AM
I have been using SS braided brake lines from SOR on my 40 for about 3 years now, have had no leaks, I don't think the brakes really felt much different, but I have peace of mind that I have more resistance to cutting than before!

Ya have used those types of lines in the past as well if im thinking of the same thing you are. Those are made with a machine and come with the ends already on them. What im talking about is basically buying the SS hose and using re-useable ends that I put on

Uncle Ben
08-25-2009, 12:42 PM
Ya have used those types of lines in the past as well if im thinking of the same thing you are. Those are made with a machine and come with the ends already on them. What im talking about is basically buying the SS hose and using re-useable ends that I put on

I knew what you were talking about. On brakes the only "legal" method of flex lines is factory swagged ends with some type of sleeve or device that protects from folding at the fitting. I used pre-made DOT lines but the compression type to AN fittings work well and are cheaper in the long run if you need to make a bunch or need custom length..

subzali
08-25-2009, 01:14 PM
Learn something new every day...

daisydog34
08-25-2009, 02:11 PM
I knew what you were talking about. On brakes the only "legal" method of flex lines is factory swagged ends with some type of sleeve or device that protects from folding at the fitting. I used pre-made DOT lines but the compression type to AN fittings work well and are cheaper in the long run if you need to make a bunch or need custom length..

UB I know you knew what I was talking about :D I was explaining it to subzali. Im not too concerned about legalities, in the state of colorado it is also ilegal to modify the suspension from stock....most of us are WAY past that any way or at least I am and I know you are :) I think im going to use a mixture of hard line and SS braided hose with AN fittings. Hard line for the long runs mainly cause its already there, and SS braided for the short bendy sections like to the line lock

Uncle Ben
08-30-2009, 10:37 PM
So you about have that jungle gym on wheels rolling yet? ;)

daisydog34
08-31-2009, 06:23 AM
It is rolling...it moves under its own power, just need brakes and steering. The elecrical is about done, got all the gauges and most of the switches in the dash this weekend. Ill see about posting some progress pics later today! Ordered springs last night so hopefully the UPS man will bring those to me this week! Its getting close, still have a lot of piddly stuff to do.