PDA

View Full Version : Smog Testing Older Cars

pmccumber
08-18-2009, 10:14 PM
If a guy were thinking of getting a '76 280Z and he lived in Boulder County, how tough would it be to get that thing through emissions testing? Do they lower the bar at all for older cars?

MDH33
08-18-2009, 10:17 PM
yes. '81 and older only requires a sniffer test rather than the full blown dyno test. Also, in Colorado, it's the sellers responsibility to have the vehicle smogged prior to sale.

SteveH
08-19-2009, 08:36 AM
Yes - and they have lowered the limits a few times, making it considerably harder for older cars to pass at all. So, they have raised the bar over the years. On car of that age and style, I'd sure make the seller get it to pass, or pay a lot less for it, if it doesn't.

The allowable standards for my '66 Mustang dropped in the 1990s such that it was not just a casual tuneup to get it to pass. I can see the day when you'll have to put a cat and an air pump on such vehicles to get them to pass.

pmccumber
08-19-2009, 08:46 AM
So it is the seller's responsibility, even if they live in a rural jurisdiction, to get the car to pass?

I'm pretty sure a '76 280Z had a cat and an air pump. I'll hafta make sure that stuff is still intact. A "sniffer" test is relatively tough then eh?

treerootCO
08-19-2009, 09:08 AM
What is tough is dealing with the government operated monopoly called Colorado Air Care Inc.

http://www.aircarecolorado.com/

Air Randy
08-19-2009, 09:35 AM
Yes - and they have lowered the limits a few times, making it considerably harder for older cars to pass at all. So, they have raised the bar over the years. On car of that age and style, I'd sure make the seller get it to pass, or pay a lot less for it, if it doesn't.

The allowable standards for my '66 Mustang dropped in the 1990s such that it was not just a casual tuneup to get it to pass. I can see the day when you'll have to put a cat and an air pump on such vehicles to get them to pass.

I'm not sure I agree. When I took my 40 in for smog test last year it barely ran well enough to get to the testing station. It hadn't ran in 10 years, the #5 cylinder had 0 compression and all the smog equipment had been removed. They did a tailpipe sniff test at idle and it passed with flying colors. As long as it isn't pumping out black or blue smoke it will probably pass. I do agree however that you need to get the seller to get it to pass or the price goes down a ton.

Hulk
08-19-2009, 09:55 AM
What is tough is dealing with the government operated monopoly called Colorado Air Care Inc.

For 1981 and older, there are other places that can do the tailpipe test.

Uncle Ben
08-19-2009, 10:15 AM
For 1981 and older, there are other places that can do the tailpipe test.

There is new cat that is now available for those middle class folks who are getting beat up by the new administration will help you keep your "clunker" out of the crusher. I am serious! The new cat that will make you older car pass the new regs is 1 2" biscuit and 1 4"biscuit impregnated with precious metals vrs the one your car was designed with that had 2 2" biscuits. BTW the new cash exemption limit is now set at $725. "He is fixing it!" :mad: Your emission level will be cut in half but so will your mileage!

Red_Chili
08-19-2009, 10:26 AM

If it really was government run (by Colorado) it would be much better actually. I had long conversations with the guy with the state gov. who administers the contract with EnviroTest. He hates them. He can list off the contractual violations, but for one reason or another he can't do anything about it.

He did want me to go to every one with my 35" tires (measuring 34" and therefore they are contractually required to test using them), and have them refuse me, and write a letter so that he could follow up... sheesh, I got tired of it and put 33s on.

It is outsourced/privatized.

Hulk
08-19-2009, 11:12 AM
There is new cat that is now available for those middle class folks who are getting beat up by the new administration will help you keep your "clunker" out of the crusher. I am serious! The new cat that will make you older car pass the new regs is 1 2" biscuit and 1 4"biscuit impregnated with precious metals vrs the one your car was designed with that had 2 2" biscuits.

I don't know much about catalytic converters so I don't know how to read this. Is this new cat more restrictive or less?

Uncle Ben
08-19-2009, 11:46 AM
I don't know much about catalytic converters so I don't know how to read this. Is this new cat more restrictive or less?

More substrait to force exhaust gas through definatly is more restrictive! :(

SteveH
08-19-2009, 12:12 PM
>>I'm not sure I agree.

I meant (only) that the allowable limits have dropped, as published by the state. The older cars were allowed 7% CO, many years ago, and that dropped to 5, and then 4. Many old cars without cats or air pumps were never designed to do a whole lot better than that. This is simply legislating old cars out of existence.

I won't disagree that sometimes the rankest engines can still pass for somewhat unknown reasons.

corsair23
08-19-2009, 02:15 PM
So it is the seller's responsibility, even if they live in a rural jurisdiction, to get the car to pass?

I don't believe so :( - We bought my LX from a place in Grand Junction and no dice on getting them to get the test done nor getting a voucher for it to be done...Bought the 80 here locally and a voucher was included for the test. I believe brokers/dealers just need to provide you with a voucher covering the cost if they do business in, and you live in, an area that requires the test. For a private seller I believe the rule is the same.

That aside, I don't think I'd buy a vehicle from a private seller that I was not 100% sure would pass the test, whether the car is old or new.

Mendocino
08-19-2009, 03:51 PM
The seller is responsible for te emmissions compliance. I bought my 75 40 from a guy in Fort Collins and it would not Pass Broomfiled smog. He had to pay ~$1500 to get it to pass or he had to buy it back from me (again pursuant to state law).

Dealers are held to the same standard. If they are in GJ and you are in Denver it has to pass Denver. I had a long discussion about this with the state in November of 2007.

pmccumber
08-19-2009, 04:54 PM
The seller is responsible for te emmissions compliance. I bought my 75 40 from a guy in Fort Collins and it would not Pass Broomfiled smog. He had to pay ~$1500 to get it to pass or he had to buy it back from me (again pursuant to state law).

Dealers are held to the same standard. If they are in GJ and you are in Denver it has to pass Denver. I had a long discussion about this with the state in November of 2007.

Wow! Now that is some extremely powerful information that I am glad has been conveyed to me. That is quite a responsibility on the seller.

jacdaw
08-19-2009, 05:29 PM
When I bought my 78 MGB I was told to take it to a shop in wheat ridge on 44th iirc (Steve's?). They are not the smog nazis that the state operates. The tailpipe test was modem'ed to the state upon passing. The guy is required to not have tools on site but he turned his head as I adjusted the timing. I wish I could remember his shop's name and exact address. It' just so. Of 70 between kipling and wadsworth.

Uncle Ben
08-19-2009, 08:22 PM
Sill- paranoid me, but names and iffy solutions are best kept off the public side of a forum! IMNSHO