PDA

View Full Version : Need Gas Tank for 1968 FJ40

Old40Dog
08-19-2009, 08:40 PM
My 40's gas tank has worn a hole through itself after 41 years of vibration so I need a replacement. Pre-1973 preferred so I don't have to do the emissions mods to the tank, but will consider later model at the right $.

As always thanks :beer: to everyone in advance for your help!

Hulk
08-19-2009, 09:46 PM
Have you contacted your favorite Toyota parts guy at your favorite local dealership? If it was me, this would be the first thing I would do. I'd much rather replace a gas tank with a NEW tank so it will last another 40 years.

If not, you might see if Cool Cruisers of Texas has a new aftermarket tank.

Air Randy
08-20-2009, 02:21 PM
I just bought one of the CCOT OEM replica tanks for $200 plus that included a new sending unit. They have the exact replacement available for your year. You can buy a new one from Toyota for about $320.00

Rzeppa
08-20-2009, 07:20 PM
My 40's gas tank has worn a hole through itself after 41 years of vibration so I need a replacement. Pre-1973 preferred so I don't have to do the emissions mods to the tank, but will consider later model at the right $.

As always thanks :beer: to everyone in advance for your help!

I bought a new OEM one for my '71 a couple years back from $OR for around $200. Stevinson said they were discontinued, I would guess Marv bought up their remaining North American inventory. No experience with the CCOT one, other than I have generally good experience with their parts and they are a huge TLCA and Rising Sun supporter (as is SOR).

I have my old one you can have for free to take to a radiator shop to have repaired if you'd like, might save a few $$.

Old40Dog
08-25-2009, 10:08 PM
Thanks for all of the suggestions! :)

Unfortunately, We're living in the throws of an economic :eek: recession up here and $300+ for a gas tank at this time is out of the question :bowdown:thank you :D....as we can travel to Ouray for less than that $$$.$$ and at this point at least for us...that's much more important:beer:.

So....I did some research and discovered that a $3.47 for a set of JB Weld epoxy at the Home Depot that was gas resistant repair alternative and made the move. It's worked great at this point & I'll review the replacement alternatives suggested this winter if things improve for us economically.

See ya next week at the monthly meeting:blah: if not in Ouray, Labor Day!

nuclearlemon
08-25-2009, 10:39 PM
Thanks for all of the suggestions! :)

Unfortunately, We're living in the throws of an economic :eek: recession up here and $300+ for a gas tank at this time is out of the question :bowdown:thank you :D.y!

a good shop can weld it and coat the inside.

Uncle Ben
08-25-2009, 11:11 PM
a good shop can weld it and coat the inside.

Ditto reply! I had my leaky tank lined 15 years ago....still leak free!