PDA

View Full Version : too late to include 5th tire in rotation?

timmbuck2
08-20-2009, 09:28 AM
I have 35" Truxus tires on my 80 right now. They were borrowed from Thugmusk for Moab and so he could use my 33" tires for emission testing. If you had not heard, he totalled his 80 in NJ a few weeks ago, so I will not be changing back to 33's anytime soon. The tires are probably about 1/2 worn...no idea of how much tread is left, but the spare is brand spankin new. Is it too late to include the new tire in the rotation? Or should I just leave it off and that way I only need 4 new tires instead of 5 someday?

Hants
08-20-2009, 08:39 PM
The risk you run is seizing up your VC in the transfer case.

I ended up with 4 tires that were 1/2 worn by starting with 5, then one developed an irreparable leak (internal crack in the rubber). The new one went as the spare only. Then I staked a sidewall on Eagle Rock... now I have one new and one 1/2 worn on each axle, and the 'worst' as the spare.

To spare your VC, you want the both driveshafts spinning at the same rate. Dunno how much of a difference the VC can take without burning up and seizing. Might check Mud to see if anyone has positive experience with "less than x difference is ok".

60wag
08-20-2009, 08:50 PM
It's never too late to add a tire to the rotation, unless of coarse, the 4 on the road are shot. If 1 out of 4 is a little bigger than the rest, the size difference is averaged over the two wheels on that axle. So the difference between the front and rear should be pretty small. What I wouldn't do is to run a pair of tires on the front that are different from a pair of tires on the rear.

nakman
08-21-2009, 08:01 AM
I would do it also, and not worry about it. Different spin rates are what your diff is for. Heck if driveshafts had to always spin exactly the same then you'd never be allowed to turn corners. that's my opinion, do what you want! :beer:

nuclearlemon
08-21-2009, 08:21 AM
you may have issues with pulling if you put it on the front. i don't know if all 80s are finicky like mine, but i ran an almost new tire with an almost worn tire and i felt it in the wheel until i swapped

Tch2fly
08-21-2009, 08:37 AM
I have seen a lot discussion on the use of different size tires and the affect on the VC. When I was at Stevinson we usually advised owners to run a matched set of tires but unless you run 33s on one axle and 35s on the other I don't think it's an issue.
That said I have never seen a bad VC on a Land Cruiser but I have seen a AWD Previa with a bad VC. In that case it did appear to be caused by running different sized tires on the front and back. I have no idea if the Previa VC is in anyway "inferior" to the LC part.

If you want to put it in the rotation go ahead.
Personally I rotate 4 and keep the spare new, when I buy the next set I will buy 3, put the spare on the ground and run the best of the old tires as a spare ... the next set will be 5 tires again.:thumb:

timmbuck2
08-21-2009, 09:12 AM
Thanks for the info and advice everyone! I think I will toss the 5th wheel on in the rear when I rotate them this weekend.