PDA

View Full Version : 4 speed shifter removal

Jacket
08-22-2009, 06:43 PM
:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

I've read all the threads on Mud, then read them again, then looked at all the pictures...twice. I've read about the other guys that have spent all afternoon trying to get it off, and the ones that said "that was easy."

So I'm one of the guys that spent all afternoon trying to get my shift lever off, and I've got nothing but sweat to show for it. I've tried channel locks, screwdrivers, pliers, etc., but can't get the thing to budge. The up/down motion is good, so I'm able to push it down on the retaining cap, but when trying to turn it CCW it doesn't move. I can't get good grip or leverage on it, so I'm just trying to get something to catch and pull it around.

So in the picture below, the goal is to move the outer retaining cap (silver piece indicated by left arrow) by pushing down and CCW (indicated by right arrow). Do I have that right? I don't think I want to move the shift lever, and instead just the outer retaining cap?

So if anyone has a specific technique that works, please let me know. Or if anyone has the SST I'd love to borrow it. Thanks in advance...I'm going to get a beer.....

nuclearlemon
08-22-2009, 08:13 PM
yep, just the outer collar. and it's a pita. don't know why toyota had to use such a stiff spring.

Jacket
08-22-2009, 08:14 PM
By accepting defeat (this post), I guess I changed my luck. One has 2 choices for this project:

- FSM says rotate CW
- 95% of Mud posts say CCW

So after spending all afternoon trying to turn it CCW, I guess I should have stuck with the FSM - mine's a CW retainer. So the vice grip set to ~ 1 1/4" + latex for extra grip + CW rotation did the trick.

Nothing to see here - head on back to the Obama Time thread. :rolleyes:

RicardoJM
08-22-2009, 10:33 PM
I've seen them go both ways. One afternoon at Timm's, Subzali and I under Jeff's direction went through the same experienced you just had for about 30 minutes we were trying one direction - then we tried the other and it popped right out.

subzali
08-23-2009, 08:06 PM
I was just thinking about that Ricardo - it's really easy if you're turning it the RIGHT WAY! :doh:

And it seems as if there may be two different ways they were installed...

Hulk
08-23-2009, 11:57 PM
Nothing to see here - head on back to the Obama Time thread. :rolleyes:

:lmao:Now that was funny!

Rzeppa
08-24-2009, 10:13 PM
All of mine came off by going CW. Timm's came off CCW. I made an SST out of a chunk of pipe by cutting teeth on the edge so when I pressed down it would bite into the retainer. Picture teeth like teeth on a big A$$ saw.