PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Outlaws confirmation thread

bh4rnnr
08-23-2009, 12:28 PM
Please post up if you are a go for this years run. There are a few on the waiting list, plus i'd like to know the size of the groupe for the pre-run.

Here is the list I have so far, some folks are from Expidition Utah.com, there will either be a RS or EU behind your name.

1) Perry Loughridge-RS: Confirmed
2) Martin-RS: Confirmed
3) Daniel Markofsky-RS: Confirmed
4) Kurt Williams-EU: 95%
5) Cody-EU: waiting to see if house sells in time.
6)The Ferg (Ben H)-EU: Trying to get vehicle done, may ride passanger if there is an open seat
7) Marco-RS: Confirmed
8) Jethro-RS: Confirmed
9)John C-RS: Confirmed

MDH33
08-24-2009, 08:57 AM
I'm in. :guapo:

DaveInDenver
08-24-2009, 09:02 AM
The dates are October 19-24, right?

Convert
08-24-2009, 09:25 AM
I'm out

bh4rnnr
08-24-2009, 10:04 AM
The dates are October 19-24, right?

Yes, October 19-24, head home on the 25th (though there might be some exploring if we have any energy left:) )

DaveInDenver
08-24-2009, 10:48 AM
Yes, October 19-24, head home on the 25th (though there might be some exploring if we have any energy left:) )
Figured that out by using the search after I asked. Duh.

Probably have to back out, I have to take my vacation in September to go back to St. Louis for more family stuff.

bh4rnnr
08-24-2009, 05:20 PM
Figured that out by using the search after I asked. Duh.

Probably have to back out, I have to take my vacation in September to go back to St. Louis for more family stuff.

Bummer, hopefully the next time:)

Inukshuk
08-24-2009, 07:18 PM
Hard to believe its been 5 years since it all began... 4 rigs, 5 people, two dogs and Perry's vision.

Lets look over some maps this weekend at your cabin.

BTW, why start on a Monday?

bh4rnnr
08-24-2009, 08:11 PM
Hard to believe its been 5 years since it all began... 4 rigs, 5 people, two dogs and Perry's vision.

Lets look over some maps this weekend at your cabin.

BTW, why start on a Monday?

Were actually going on year number 6, but we will let this slide since you missed year number two, and wasnt it three dogs:confused:

I'll bring my Wyoming Benchmark Maps and Pass Patrol Book:)

Think it might be my way of fighting back and not having to go into work on monday. I mean what would you rather do, work on a monday or go wheel awesome places while hanging out with ubber cool people:confused::guapo:

Oh, so I take it this means your in:p:

:beer::beer:

Inukshuk
08-24-2009, 10:01 PM
1) 2004 + 5 = 2009
2) Why not start on the Saturday before that Monday? Or Friday night before that Monday.
3) I'm in unless you want everyone to get lost, someone has to keep you in line.

MDH33
08-25-2009, 07:42 AM
2) Why not start on the Saturday before that Monday? Or Friday night before that Monday.

It would take me a whole day just to drive to the starting point, so I'll probably head out Saturday the 17th and camp out for a couple of nights and sightsee along the way. I'm thinking Dinosaur NP area. :beer:

bh4rnnr
08-25-2009, 08:01 AM
1) 2004 + 5 = 2009
3) I'm in unless you want everyone to get lost, someone has to keep you in line.

1) Outlaws 04-06 was in the San Rafael Swell, 07 was in the Henry's, 08 was in Robbers Roost, Spanish Bottom and the Doll House. This year will be in Wyoming (making year number 6).

2) I get what your suggesting, and have thought about it. But I need to leave enough time for proffitts to get work done on the 4runner, so i'll be picking up the truck that weekend, and if I have time might try and visit family in SLC.

3) But that's half the fun, trying to figure out where we were supposed to be:hill:

MDH33
08-25-2009, 09:40 AM
I added some pics from along the possible route for this years Outlaw Run here (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showpost.php?p=116705&postcount=34).

:beer:

Jethro
08-25-2009, 08:21 PM
Count me in.:)

bh4rnnr
08-25-2009, 08:41 PM
Count me in.:)

:thumb::cool:

So is Odell going to be sponsering this years run:hill::brick::bowdown:

RockRunner
08-25-2009, 09:22 PM
Unfortunately I am out.............I will be three weeks post up after a total knee replacement. I think my last run this year will be Holy Cross depending on the dates. Wish I could go, should be a great trip.

Inukshuk
08-26-2009, 08:45 AM
1) Outlaws 04-06 was in the San Rafael Swell, 07 was in the Henry's, 08 was in Robbers Roost, Spanish Bottom and the Doll House. This year will be in Wyoming (making year number 6).

Grammar wars!! I will Win. Yes, this is the 6th annual, but still "its been 5 years since it all began". Dude, 04-05=1. 05-06=2. 06-07=3. 07-08=4. 08-09=5.

2) I get what your suggesting, and have thought about it. But I need to leave enough time for proffitts to get work done on the 4runner, so i'll be picking up the truck that weekend, and if I have time might try and visit family in SLC.

It would take me a whole day just to drive to the starting point, so I'll probably head out Saturday the 17th and camp out for a couple of nights and sightsee along the way. I'm thinking Dinosaur NP area. :beer:

Martin - I'll probably be up for that if you don't mind some company. I will have the dogs so NPs are tough for me. Otherwise, a few mellow days to unwind sound great, plus that's an area I have been wanting to see.

Ok, now must work or I'll be distracted by trip planning thoughts all day long!

MDH33
08-26-2009, 09:01 AM
Martin - I'll probably be up for that if you don't mind some company. I will have the dogs so NPs are tough for me. Otherwise, a few mellow days to unwind sound great, plus that's an area I have been wanting to see.

Ok, now must work or I'll be distracted by trip planning thoughts all day long!

Absolutely. Dinosaur allows pets if they are leashed, but not on trails.

Inukshuk
09-07-2009, 10:14 PM
Here are the GPS waypoints from the book.

bh4rnnr
09-09-2009, 07:26 PM
Here are the GPS waypoints from the book.

Thanks for this Daniel:thumb:

Oh and I updated the list for this years run:cool: Yeah, really lookig forward to this trip, esp now that I got the 4runner to Proffitts:D

MDH33
09-10-2009, 03:30 PM
1) Perry Loughridge-RS: Confirmed
2) Martin-RS: Confirmed
3) Daniel Markofsky-RS: Confirmed
4) Kurt Williams-EU: 95%
5) Cody-EU: waiting to see if house sells in time.
6)The Ferg (Ben H)-EU: Trying to get vehicle done, may ride passanger if there is an open seat
7) Marco-RS: Confirmed
8) Jethro-RS: Confirmed
9)John C-RS: Confirmed
10) Kcowyo-EU/EP

Marco is in? I thought he was bailing?

bh4rnnr
09-10-2009, 08:09 PM
Marco is in? I thought he was bailing?

Well I thought I got the OK when we talked up at the cabin. Guess we will just have to wait for the final answer:p:

jacdaw
09-10-2009, 09:24 PM
Hi guys, I have been really bad about regular forum reading the past month but I finally figured out we had two threads going at once. I'm really looking forward to this run! The Red Desert is one of my favorite fantasy places on the planet, and alas, it's right in our backyard.

I have a quick planning question regarding fuel. I'm gonna have 5 and half 20l NATO cans on board but do not want to fill them until the last possible moment. What's the planned departure point into the wilderness? I don't expect to need all this fuel, but since I have a long bed, it has been my tradition to carry more than enough and share it out as needed.

I recently purchased a Delorme USB GPS antenna and their mapping software. I have played with it just enough to seriously distract myself into nearly crashing into a curb. Having the 10" screen of my netbook in the truck makes GPS kind of a lot of geekfesty fun. If I can remember to save periodically, I'll be able to at least say for certain where we have become lost. :p:

Okay, I'm off to dig back to the start of this thread and see what info I've missed.

jacdaw
09-10-2009, 09:39 PM
It would take me a whole day just to drive to the starting point, so I'll probably head out Saturday the 17th and camp out for a couple of nights and sightsee along the way. I'm thinking Dinosaur NP area. :beer:This will likely end up being my plan of attack as well.

jacdaw
09-10-2009, 09:52 PM
Here are the GPS waypoints from the book.Man, I need to do some homework with my Delorme software and figure out how to load these as a route. There's so many tabs and poor documentation, and I just figured out that the 800x600 resolution required does fit my netbook's screen so the map scrolls off the edge. Annoying, but now that I know, some controls are no longer hidden. Grrrr. Maybe REI will have a GPS class before we leave? ;) I'm starting to feel like the proverbial old dog trying to learb new tricks.

Inukshuk
09-11-2009, 08:27 AM
If I can remember to save periodically, I'll be able to at least say for certain where we have become lost.

They are good for that! To load the waypoints I posted either 1) double-click the file and see if the Delorme software opens it automatically, and if not and if the computer asks you to select a program, find and select the Delorme executable or 2) in the Delorme software go to File --> Open.

Basic GPS use is not nearly as complex as HAM. As with anything it all depends how deep down the rabbit hole you want to go. I typically use the GPS to show me where I should be looking on paper maps! But as Perry can attest, I am the Inukshuk for a reason.
Welcome aboard.
D

jacdaw
09-11-2009, 10:15 AM
Thanks Daniel, oh mighty rock stacker and cairn placer (analog waypoint creator). I'm very much more comfortable in the analog world when it comes to maps. Every wall upstairs in my house is covered with maps. But using GPS just makes sense. This will be a fun exercise.

jacdaw
09-14-2009, 06:05 PM
To load the waypoints I posted either 1) double-click the file and see if the Delorme software opens it automatically, and if not and if the computer asks you to select a program, find and select the Delorme executable or 2) in the Delorme software go to File --> Open.
Is .GDP a Garmin file? Delorme can't see it. Opened it in my text editor to see if I could cull out lat/longs to no avail. Looks like I'm just along for the ride.:D

rover67
09-14-2009, 09:33 PM
Still working on whether or not I can make it.

Inukshuk
09-14-2009, 10:43 PM
Is .GDP a Garmin file? Delorme can't see it. Opened it in my text editor to see if I could cull out lat/longs to no avail. Looks like I'm just along for the ride.:D

Try these formats (.txt and .mps attached). The only other option I had was .gpx but the MapSource software (latest version) crashed every time I tried. There has to be an easy conversion that won't have you entering coordinates again.

jacdaw
09-14-2009, 11:36 PM
Try these formats (.txt and .mps attached). The only other option I had was .gpx but the MapSource software (latest version) crashed every time I tried. There has to be an easy conversion that won't have you entering coordinates again.I have a friend with a Garmin and he was able to convert your file to a .GPX, and presto! I can see a map now. Thanks!

Inukshuk
09-25-2009, 09:23 PM
Pre Trip meeting here:
* 39° 45.383' N
* 105° 00.55' W
* WGS84
2:00 PM in the Starbucks. Bring your maps!

MDH33
09-28-2009, 09:29 AM
How did the planning meeting go??

bh4rnnr
09-28-2009, 06:49 PM

:thumb:
All, here is the plan as of yesterday for this years run, well at least till Tuesday.

It looks like everybody from Rising Sun is going to head out early and do a little exploring. Those all planning on heading out then, are going to try and meet up in Rangely our Dinosaur ( Think I got that part right). Sunday those that are there early, are going to find a spot close to the “Gates of Loder”, the gates will also be our new meeting spot for Monday Morning on the 19th. Time is still the same, 9:30am. From our meeting spot, we will check out the Gates, and then head into Browns Park to do some exploring. Our planned camp for the night will be the Killpecker Dunes. Were gonna plan a stop in Rock Springs for any last minute supplies and any late comers.

Tuesday, we will spend some time playing in the dunes before making our way to South Pass City and Miners Delight. Camp number two is planned to be around Miners Delight.

We decided to keep Wednesday open since there is a lot to see, though the basic plan is to get to Hole in the Wall by Friday.

For any of you that haven’t, could you please send either myself our Daniel your contact/emergency info. We are going to have a list that we will hand out at the start of the run, just in case.

Think that’s about everything

Inukshuk
09-29-2009, 01:42 PM

It was great of you to volunteer to carry the toilet! We said "speak up if you don't want to carry the toilet," and you stayed quiet. Nice!

jacdaw
09-29-2009, 06:40 PM
It was great of you to volunteer to carry the toilet! We said "speak up if you don't want to carry the toilet," and you stayed quiet. Nice!Yes, thanks Martin. In all fairness, I offered to haul the gas, but thankfully your absence saved me.:D

We have a good, solid plan until Tuesday. I'm gonna be in Rangley/Dinosaur Saturday afternoon. Camping in DNP Sat and Sun., likely on the Lodore end (north) unless you have other ideas. I'm flexible on Saturday. Sunday night is Lodore for sure.

Inukshuk
09-29-2009, 06:44 PM
When I have time I'll add some more comments to what Perry wrote - he got it *mostly* :) right. We do have the entire route and days figured, we just ran out of time to go over it all Sunday, afterall, we will be in the :bowdown: Great American Outback for nine, count em, NINE days! :thumb:

MDH33
09-30-2009, 09:17 AM
It was great of you to volunteer to carry the toilet! We said "speak up if you don't want to carry the toilet," and you stayed quiet. Nice!

I'll be carrying my own, thanks. The community pot on last years run was gross enough to make me get my own this summer.

Sorry to miss the meeting. I'm only allowed one rising sun event per weekend and the 40's Run took up all of Saturday.