PDA

View Full Version : FZJ 80 brake service

60wag
08-23-2009, 04:27 PM
What's the current preference on 80 series brake pads and rotors? Are OE 100 series pads a drop in replacement? If I have a shop do the work for me, will they install a pad not listed as made for my truck?

My rotors are below 30mm so they need to be replaced. OE or aftermarket? Slotted or not? I konw this has been discussed at length both here and on MUD but its hard to filter through all the chit chat to get some decent rec'.

wesintl
08-23-2009, 04:31 PM
I put on rotors from carquest and toyota 80 pads. The 100 pads won't fit with new rotors. Tried that.

That's my :twocents:

nakman
08-23-2009, 10:09 PM
Wes I'm surprised you couldn't get the 100 pads to fit, did you try with those shims removed? You do have to grind a little part of it off or it will get stuck, but seems like those are essentially the norm now, they should fit. :confused:

I run the slotted/drilled DBA's, and while I do like to complain about the drilled holes' ability to collect small pieces of Kane creek and bring it back to Colorado, I can't deny the performance. My next rotors will be slotted only, not drilled... these boys right here: http://www.man-a-fre.com/parts_accessories/DBA%204000%20SERIES%20BRAKE%20KIT%20FZJ80.htm

but here's my story: YMMV, obviously.. :rolleyes: In November of 2002 (about 2 months into 80 ownership) I took my truck to Slee Offroad because I had a check engine light and crappy brakes... and they had a cool looking built yellow 80 outside so I figured that must be the place to go. So in addition to some new O2 sensors, I got caliper rebuilds on both sides in front. I did a front axle service myself the spring of 2003, which included taking the front rotors to AutoZone for some turning, since they were shaking. At the start of 2004, I had a leaking booster. I would hear a hiss if I pushed on the brake while at a stoplight, and could make it worse by pushing harder. also the brakes shook again. I was also annoyed with recurring shaky brakes, turned rotors, seems like the 80 always had a brake issue. So fed up and credit card in hand, I took it down to what has become one of my favorite places in the whole world Sleeoffroad (http://www.sleeoffroad.com/) and said, with some pun intended, "MAKE IT STOP!"

I'm looking at the invoice now... march 4, 2004, it's 4 digits but $650 of that was the booster & booster install, which you probably don't need. What I got was DBA rotors, stainless lines (http://www.sleeoffroad.com/products/products_drivetrain_brakes.htm), 100 series pads, some labor, including an adjustment of the LSPV.

mileage then was 121,460. My current mileage is 165,267. I just did a semi-full front axle service (my spindle fiasco) and there is at least .25" of pad still left on the front pads. I do get a little shaking when coming down long steep descents, especially when a trailer is pushing me, like when coming down Monarch pass towards Gunnison I had some shakes going... still nothing compared to what those stockers felt like. Prior to CM 2008 I was bleeding my brakes and wasn't satisfied, so I went to Martin's house and bled them again, and still not satisfied took my truck to CTS in Aspen Park (was local at the time eh) and asked Joe & his guys to take a look at it. They spent an hour on it and "power bled" it, not exactly sure what that means but it made me feel better, but they also said they really didn't do anything and I just have a big heavy truck that requires a long stopping distance. Ok I guess I knew that, but never hurts to get a few other opinions right before you haul the family to Cruise Moab...

So that's it- 5.5 years and 45,000 miles on the DBA's and 100 pads, and heck the last half of that rolling on arguably the heaviest 35's known to mankind. that bill from Slee is probably some of the best money I've ever spent on the 80.... to not even really think about the brakes for 5 years has in some ways been priceless, I'll probably go another year or so then do new pads and those slotted-only rotors.

So long story short my advice is DBA slotted, 100 pads, and if you're too busy have either :robbie: or Sleeoffroad (http://www.sleeoffroad.com/) do all the work. :beer:

Romer
08-23-2009, 10:27 PM
I use 100 series pads. Remove the shim and you still may need to spread the caliper a bit. I used a big screw driver screwdriver with a towel at the end so I wouldnt scratch anything.

I use OEM rotors, lots of options here.

Hulk
08-23-2009, 10:46 PM
I have some no name rotors with 100 series pads. I got the guys over at my local brake shop to install them for me. Worked just fine.

corsair23
08-23-2009, 10:49 PM
New OEM rotors with 100 series pads...Wouldn't fit with the shims but just squeeked in without the shims...

I'm betting that now, a yr + later that the shims would fit and maybe I'll slap them in there when I do my front axle service but frankly they don't make that much noise...

If I had it to do over again (i.e. more time to wait for parts to arrive) I'd go with the slotted DBA's Nakman linked to. Cost wise they're comparable to OEM and Nakman seems to really like them :D

In reality though, the OEM rotors with 100 series pad (bedded in and a good bleeding of the system with 100% new fluid) work great and the LX stops good...In fact, I did the install just before CM08 and on the way back traffic came to a sudden standstill in Glenwood canyon. The brakes stopped the LX and a camper about 5' shy of the read end of a little sedan :eek: from 45 in what seemed to me an unbelievably short distance.

SteveH
08-24-2009, 06:18 AM
I use OEM 80 series pads, and go through them rather quickly. I installed 'cheap Chinese rotors' ($34? each) last time around, at 165K miles, and they have worked fine so far - no warping, stops well, etc. I should probably use 100-series pads.

Corbet
08-24-2009, 06:52 AM
I'm getting close to needing a brake service myself and have been researching this too.

If you read the fine print on DBA's website you will see that the gold drilled and slotted rotors that many people are running on MUD and here, are only recommending for STREET use. The slotted only is the offroad rotor. This is the one I plan to use. (4000 series 6x6 wiper slot)

http://www.dba.com.au/2006/products_4000.asp

As far as pads I've been looking at the EBC Brakes "Green Stuff 6000 series" pads.

http://www.ebcbrakes.com/automotive/greenstuff_brake_pads/greenstuff_brake_pads_6000.shtml

I have not done this yet so I can not comment on the overall performance. Nor did I find someone on MUD running this exact combo, but after reading through all the threads there and doing my own research this is the way I plan to go at this time. So take it for what it is :cheers:

wesintl
08-24-2009, 07:57 AM
Wes I'm surprised you couldn't get the 100 pads to fit, did you try with those shims removed? You do have to grind a little part of it off or it will get stuck, but seems like those are essentially the norm now, they should fit. :confused:

I didn't want to remove the shims and go through the other hassle. The 100 series pads are a little thicker and last a little longer :meh: I'll put them on next time when the rotor is worn down and it's alot easier. It's not like the 100 series pads are some major upgrade.

rover67
08-24-2009, 08:11 AM
Do most of you guys use OEM pads?

nakman
08-24-2009, 08:15 AM
Do most of you guys use OEM pads?

I do, Toyota pads all around.

corsair23
08-24-2009, 10:25 AM
The 100 series pads are a little thicker and last a little longer :meh: I'll put them on next time when the rotor is worn down and it's alot easier. It's not like the 100 series pads are some major upgrade.

I won't say you cannot do that but from what I have read, the reason the "experts" state to go with new rotors when switching to 100 series pads is that the wear pattern is quite a bit different between the 80 series and 100 series pads. Not only are the 100 series pads thicker, but they are larger as well...

If I didn't pull the popup pretty regularly I wouldn't have given much thought to the change...But I can honestly say my LX, armored and all, stops as well if not better than the :Princess:'s stock 80. The only difference between the two besides all the extra weight I carry is that I have 100 series pads in the front and she has new rotors in the rear :o

60wag
08-24-2009, 01:04 PM
Ok, slotted DBAs on order and 100 pads and a caliper rebuild kit ordered at Boulder Toyota. Robbie has offered his service to do the install. I'll let you know how it turns out.