PDA

View Full Version : The Turtle's under the knife

Jacket
08-23-2009, 09:06 PM
Like most of my projects, a long period of procrastination precedes a unplanned tear down to get things moving. Here we go...

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/Jacket/tranny_heater/tranny%20003.jpg

Gotta get to the bottom of this shifting issue, so I'll be tearing into the tranny for further troubleshooting.

Pulled the heater as well. I'm going to buy one of those rebuild kits from Shane on Mud and get it cleaned up and functional again.

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/Jacket/tranny_heater/tranny%20004.jpg

The good news is that I think I already fixed one known issue. The fuel gauge has had a short in it since I got the truck, and I think I figured out why. The wires from the sending unit were pinched between the gas tank cover and the tank itself, and there was exposed copper touching the cover. Fixed that one...:thumb:

Boulder Cruiser
08-23-2009, 10:54 PM
I remember reading you had trouble shifting into gear, i had the same thing going on in my 40 and it ended up being that two of the detent balls were missing, the springs were still there just no balls. Im not sure if thats the same problem your talking about but thought i would let you know. I would check it out before you drop the tranny.

Jacket
08-24-2009, 08:05 PM
Right you are, Mr Boulder Cruiser.

So what's missing here in the picture? Hint: There's nothing stuck in the shift retainer plate either.

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/Jacket/tranny_heater/detent%20001.jpg

There's a ball in each hole, but no detent springs to be found. There's also some misalignment of the reverse shift gate and the forward gates. And with no springs there's no pressure being applied to the detent balls from the top plate, thus I think there's a conclusion to be drawn here.....

rover67
08-24-2009, 08:14 PM
Wonder where the springs all went?

I guess the PO didn't put them in there..

Uncle Ben
08-24-2009, 08:34 PM
Where is all the grease and dirt build up? What ever ate the springs must eat road grit too!

Rezarf
08-24-2009, 11:10 PM
Where is all the grease and dirt build up? What ever ate the springs must eat road grit too!

Exactly, I don't see where the leaks that cause a 1/2" of dirt grease concrete on your tranny... there is your problem!

drew:eek:

Rezarf
08-24-2009, 11:17 PM
Matt I have a spare 4speed on the shelf if you get in a jam, or need to borrow above mentioned grime. ;)

Jacket
08-25-2009, 09:03 AM
Exactly, I don't see where the leaks that cause a 1/2" of dirt grease concrete on your tranny... there is your problem!

drew:eek:

The more I dig into this rig, the more I'm surprised at how clean and original it is. Maybe it actually has 55k original miles :dunno:

Jacket
08-25-2009, 09:07 AM
Wonder where the springs all went?

I guess the PO didn't put them in there..

Good question. Last week, I would have bet that no one had been inside the tranny before, but now that seems pretty unlikely...

RicardoJM
08-25-2009, 09:38 AM
I'm watching this thread with great interest. I have not popped the top on the 4speed in the garage. I have looked inside the t-case and all the gears were covered with a golden/rust tinted film of oil. The gears in your tranny look very clean and shiny. It is cool to see you digging into figuring out the shifting issues. You will have things back in order and better than before in no time:cheers:.

I picked up one of Shane's rebuild kits for my front heater and they are great. A couple of things worth mentioning, the first may not apply to you as your heater is a later model. Shane recommends that tighten the screws just to the point they lock washers close. I did this on the brackets that hold the pivot of the defrost deflect tab and there was not enough pressure for the defrost deflector tab to hold in position so I had to go back and tighten them just a bit more. You might want to consider replacing your front core with new, they are about $70 and available at the major auto parts store. I had mine checked at a radiator shop, it checked out fine but has since developed a leak at the hose connection. So, I'm going to be putting in a new one for this winter.

MDH33
08-25-2009, 10:17 AM
Glad to see you getting this taken care of Matt, hope to see you on the 40's Only Run this year. :)

subzali
09-04-2009, 12:01 AM
so where are you at with this Matt? Will you be driving the 40 more often once you get this fixed?

Jacket
09-08-2009, 09:38 AM
I drive it plenty - to work, to the liquor store, to Ace Hardware....

Indeed, I'm hoping it will see more trail time after these repairs. But with a family of 4 and a 1/2 ton of gear, the 40 trips will be continue to be limited...

Progress report:

1. New OEM detent springs and balls installed and transmission closed back up - check.
2. New fan belt and radiator hoses installed - check.
3. Radiator serviced and rebuilt - check.

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/Jacket/tranny_heater/newrad.jpg

4. Heater core serviced - check.
5. Heater valve cleaned and checked - check.
6. Heater unit rebuilt - check.

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/Jacket/tranny_heater/heater_done.jpg

That $30 rebuild kit from Shane is money well spent. I highly recommend it.

I've got a new shift lever cap and boot to install with the shift lever, and then I just need to reassemble the heating and cooling system before I can give it a test run and see how the shifting feels.

subzali
09-08-2009, 09:58 AM
Sweet! :clap:

AxleIke
09-08-2009, 10:15 AM
Dude, are you working on the dining table?

Looks dark outside, do you wait until the wife goes to bed so she won't know? LOL :D

Jacket
09-08-2009, 11:04 AM
LOL - Yes, and yes. My "free" time is typically after 10pm at night, after everyone is asleep. So I give up my beauty rest to tinker and wrench.....

RicardoJM
09-08-2009, 11:08 AM
Excellent, sounds like it will be all ready in time for the 40's Only Run:thumb:

Uncle Ben
09-08-2009, 11:21 AM
Nice Matt! :thumb::thumb: :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::zilla:

Jacket
09-14-2009, 01:29 PM
So the shift cap retainer on the left is my original part, and the one on the right is the Toyota replacement part. Now I know why the information varies between the FSM, Mud, etc.:rolleyes:

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/Jacket/tranny_heater/shifter%20001.jpg

The good news is that she's back on the road. The shifting feels tight and controlled, a vast improvement from before. I guess I didn't realize just how sloppy it was. I drove it around in Hi and Low range yesterday, trying to get it to lock itself in reverse or in neutral - no luck. :thumb: I guess the next trail run will be the true test.

MDH33
09-14-2009, 02:28 PM
Excellent news. Glad it's back on the road. Hope you can bring it out for the 40's Run. :thumb:

Uncle Ben
09-14-2009, 03:06 PM
Good on ya mate! Now get out there and enjoy the falling yellow leaves!!!!

Jacket
09-15-2009, 08:58 AM
Excellent news. Glad it's back on the road. Hope you can bring it out for the 40's Run. :thumb:

That's the plan. :cool:

corsair23
09-15-2009, 10:50 AM
So the shift cap retainer on the left is my original part, and the one on the right is the Toyota replacement part. Now I know why the information varies between the FSM, Mud, etc.:rolleyes:

Keep that pic in a safe place so next time you'll know which way to go :D - Great job btw :thumb: