PDA

View Full Version : Need Opinions on Tires

MountainGoat
08-26-2009, 07:25 AM
So yesterday the :Princess: got 2 huge nails through one of her back tires. The tires were pretty much done anyway and I was planning on getting her some BFG ATs before winter. Then I priced the BFGs :eek:.

So I did some research on potential options. I want an AT tire that will get very good traction on snow and ice, work for the occasional wheeling trip and will last a while. And the price ideally below $170 each. The truck is a 2000 4Runner.

I ran across these:

Hankook ATM RF-10 (http://www.discounttire.com/tireInfoHankookDynaproATMRF10.html)

http://www.clear-results.com/fj40/hanvl2.ang.jpg

The reviews look great on them and they are about $40 less per tire than the BFGs.

Anybody have any input on these or an alternative that meets my specs?

Air Randy
08-26-2009, 08:00 AM
One criteria I usually try to follow when putting tires on my daily driver vehicle is: They need to be sold by Goodyear, BFG or Big O. I end up doing trips all over the country. Just about any town has one of these tires dealers nearby so it's easy to get a road hazard replacement if you lose one.

If you don't travel out of town much then that maynot be a concern for you. It seems like with tires you get what you pay for. These are probably good tires but you may get slightly less miles out of them compared to other brands, but your up front cost is less.

MDH33
08-26-2009, 08:22 AM
Even though the BFG's are more pricey, they seem to last for a long, long time. I had 35000 miles on my last set of AT's (FJ60) and they still had good tread on them. However, for price, I went with the Big O XT's for my minitruck just because I didn't want to spend that much $. The tires seem great so far and they have the 3 year no questions replacement policy.

subzali
08-26-2009, 08:34 AM
I'm looking at the Toyo Open Country A/T and the Nitto Terra Grappler A/T for my Tundra. Squishy and Farnham have run the Nittos, my friend's dad has the Toyos on his work truck - both say that the tires are great.

Squishy!
08-26-2009, 08:47 AM
Squishy and Farnham have run the Nittos [Terragrappler A/T], my friend's dad has the Toyos on his work truck - both say that the tires are great.

Yup! I have been nothing but pleased with my Nittos on my 1999 Runner. They've been over Cliffhanger and all over CO trails and are quite capable in the snow and decent on ice. I will buy them from now on. I was able to get Discount to price match my tires at $173 per tire (285/60R18). So shop around with whatever you decide on and they'll price match it for sure.

Uncle Ben
08-26-2009, 08:58 AM
Nittos are awesome tires! The ProComp Extreme AT is also a very good all around tire that balances nicely. Right now there is a buy 3 get one free at 4WPW.

wesintl
08-26-2009, 10:03 AM
I put the nitto tg on my wifes 80. Since I don't drive it except for wheeling or family trips she hasn't complained about road noise. I seem to like em too. Road noise seems to be low, still higher than michelin ltx but not huge. A little bit more durable offroad. So far I'm impressed on and offroad with them and happy.

I generally do not like bfg at's :meh:

Crash
08-26-2009, 10:52 AM
I've have nothing but good things to say about the Yokohama Geolander ATs. I've had two sets on the 62 and one on the 80 and they last, work well on and off road and less expensive than the BFG ATs.

DaveInDenver
08-26-2009, 12:21 PM
We put Bridgestone Dueler AT Revos on the 4Runner, been happy enough with them, too. They weren't cheaper than BFG A/Ts, though, but did come in the right size for our truck. It has 17" wheels and BFG doesn't seem to make the stock size for it. Discount price matched Tire Rack for me, but I've purchased abut half a dozen sets of tires from the same store and that has translated into good pricing for me.

Crash
08-26-2009, 01:03 PM
Bought our Yoko's from Discount Tire too and they wouldn't match Tire Rack prices but they did drop the mounting and balancing charges when I told them I didn't want the Road Hazard Certificates. I learned that trick a while back as they really want you to buy the certs which I did. I've bought tires for all of our vehicles for the last ten years at the same shop so it all depends on the Discount Tire shop you go to.

We put Bridgestone Dueler AT Revos on the 4Runner, been happy enough with them, too. They weren't cheaper than BFG A/Ts, though, but did come in the right size for our truck. It has 17" wheels and BFG doesn't seem to make the stock size for it. Discount price matched Tire Rack for me, but I've purchased abut half a dozen sets of tires from the same store and that has translated into good pricing for me.

DaveInDenver
08-26-2009, 01:23 PM
Bought our Yoko's from Discount Tire too and they wouldn't match Tire Rack prices but they did drop the mounting and balancing charges when I told them I didn't want the Road Hazard Certificates. I learned that trick a while back as they really want you to buy the certs which I did. I've bought tires for all of our vehicles for the last ten years at the same shop so it all depends on the Discount Tire shop you go to.
They will match Tire Rack, but usually only the shipped price (it's I think about $25/tire from Tire Rack and that makes a big difference). Sometimes what they actually have there makes a difference. These Bridgestones were ordered for someone who I guess backed out and so there was certainly a non-trivial amount of luck of being in the right place, right time for sure. I was looking at the class of tire, you know Yokohama Geolander, BFG AT, Goodyear Wrangler and these Bridgestones, his offer swayed me. :-)

Crash
08-26-2009, 01:33 PM
Timing is everything and being lucky beats being good every time! Good job, Opie!

DaveInDenver
08-26-2009, 01:43 PM
Timing is everything and being lucky beats being good every time! Good job, Opie!
I must have done something good about then because as I recall we got those like a day or two before a big snow or something, too. They replaced the stock tires from Toyota, which were, to be delicate, utter poo in the snow. Had to drive around in 4WD (which having that center torsion diff is sooooo cool) most of the time with the OE tires that were only maybe 30,000 miles old.

MountainGoat
08-26-2009, 01:43 PM
Thanks for all the replies and tips! I discovered that I could get the BFGs a lot cheaper by varying the size slightly. I was looking at 265/75 16s for $202 each at Discount. Then I noticed that they have 235/85 16s for $162. They also have a $70 rebate going so I can get all 4 for around $700 out the door after rebate.

I have 255/85 16s on the 80 and I really like the skinnier tires for a couple of reasons. They feel lighter on the road, cut through slush berms better and have less rolling resistance so get better gas mileage. The 235/85s are about 9.4" x 31.7".

I really wanted the BFGs because I know they wear like iron on 4Runners and mini trucks. All in all I think these will work out well.

Thanks again guys! :thumb:

PabloCruise
08-26-2009, 02:44 PM
Try CostCo for BFG pricing - I have not seen anyone beat them. I am torn between getting 33x9.5 AT's from there or trying to stuff 33x10.5 MT's under the un-lifted Pig.

I have Toyo's on my Civic and I think I will probably replace them this fall. They still have plenty of tread on them. I just looked up when I put those tires on and I have over 70k on this set. No flats...

subzali
08-26-2009, 03:21 PM
TJ, if pigs are anything like FJ40s then a 10.50 will be too wide for the fender wells - guys with 31x10.50 tires on unlifted 40s have rubbed the rear fender when flexing and flared it out. We just had an argument over on MUD the other day about it...

Personally I don't understand stuffing huge tires under trucks with no lift - if you can't use all of the suspension flex (or at least most of it) without rubbing/interference what's the point?

MountainGoat
08-26-2009, 03:27 PM
Try CostCo for BFG pricing - I have not seen anyone beat them. I am torn between getting 33x9.5 AT's from there or trying to stuff 33x10.5 MT's under the un-lifted Pig.

I just checked the BFG website and they list MT KM2s in LT255/85R16/E (33.3x10). I run that size in an Interco TrXus on my 80 with no lift and they don't rub at all. They tuck right up!

subzali
08-26-2009, 03:33 PM
Hey Dan, I saw you in the King Soopers parking lot in Conifer a week or two ago. Wasn't able to catch you, but I was glad to finally see a 40 and recognize the driver! You'd think Rising Sun and TLCA hasn't absorbed ANY of the community with the way I see lifted 80s, 40s, etc. with drivers I don't recognize :(

MDH33
08-26-2009, 03:49 PM
TJ, if pigs are anything like FJ40s then a 10.50 will be too wide for the fender wells - guys with 31x10.50 tires on unlifted 40s have rubbed the rear fender when flexing and flared it out. We just had an argument over on MUD the other day about it...

Personally I don't understand stuffing huge tires under trucks with no lift - if you can't use all of the suspension flex (or at least most of it) without rubbing/interference what's the point?

If a pig is more similar in size to a 60, 31x10.50's fit great even on flat springs.

MountainGoat
08-26-2009, 04:24 PM
Hey Dan, I saw you in the King Soopers parking lot in Conifer a week or two ago. Wasn't able to catch you, but I was glad to finally see a 40 and recognize the driver! You'd think Rising Sun and TLCA hasn't absorbed ANY of the community with the way I see lifted 80s, 40s, etc. with drivers I don't recognize :(

That's okay Matt. Most people have a hard time trying to catch me with my racin F155 motor. :hill:

I know what you mean about the cruiser drivers. I need some kind of info pack to hand out to people. I make it a point to talk to people about their cruisers whenever I get a chance (except grocery gettin soccer moms - don't want to scare them!) and most of them never even heard of TLCA. They sure love those cruisers, though.

I really think that if I had something to hand people I could recruit a bunch of new TLCA members.

I just had a bright idea. I could at least keep a copy of Toyota Trails in my cruisers to show them and give them the web address for TLCA. :cool:

corsair23
08-26-2009, 04:59 PM
I really think that if I had something to hand people I could recruit a bunch of new TLCA members.

I just had a bright idea. I could at least keep a copy of Toyota Trails in my cruisers to show them and give them the web address for TLCA. :cool:

Talk to Zepp...He handed out some business card sized cards with information re: the TLCA on them at a past meeting :thumb: - That stapled to a current, or past, copy of Toyota Trails to hand out would be just the ticket!

PabloCruise
08-27-2009, 02:46 PM

I would be surprised by 31x10.5's messing up a 40 quarter panel. I am currently running 31x10.5's on the Pig and while the Pig does spend more time in the shop than on the trail, the 31's do not rub. Can you point me to the thread?

If I can fit 33's under the Pig with no rubbing/interference I am going for it. To help your understanding of my request, here are my reasons for wanting to do so:

1) Ride - I love the way the Pig rides on her factory springs. If I can get more ground clearance without losing ride quality, without rasing CG, why not?
2) Expense - if I don't have to buy a new set of springs, I don't want to! I'd rather buy the tires, or paint, or a headliner, or about a million other things.

PabloCruise
08-27-2009, 02:47 PM
I just checked the BFG website and they list MT KM2s in LT255/85R16/E (33.3x10). I run that size in an Interco TrXus on my 80 with no lift and they don't rub at all. They tuck right up!

Hmmm, good to know. I would need some 16 inch wheels for this option...

subzali
08-27-2009, 02:50 PM
http://forum.ih8mud.com/4717856-post13.html
http://forum.ih8mud.com/4717908-post15.html

http://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/306085-will-33x10-50r15s-fit-stock-78fj40-cant-find-answer.html

and I have seen some other threads on it too...

It sounds like the 33x9.50 will fit with no lift on a 40 - so maybe that would work too on the Piggy!

Of course it's also dependent on how wide of wheel you're running them on - if you have stock wheels it might not be a problem!

jettaglxdriver
08-27-2009, 02:51 PM
I have had 2 sets of Geolander ATs one on my Jeep XJ and they were perfect there and another set on the GFs Durango. They formed a funny wear pattern that no one could figure out including the tire place. We have since sold that Durango so I'm not worried about it.