PDA

View Full Version : Why do carbs and dizzies go hand in hand?

subzali
08-27-2009, 02:08 PM
Jim C. - carb and dizzy guy
Marshall (Trollhole) - carb and dizzy guy
Mark Algazy - carb guy, not sure about dizzy

:confused:

nakman
08-27-2009, 02:27 PM
Interesting theory.. hey works in the other direction too!

Nakman- oblivious to both

:lmao:

corsair23
08-27-2009, 03:03 PM
Maybe all of the gas fumes from working on carbs makes them dizzy? :dunno:

Wait...the dizzy is a truck part right?

Nevermind :D

nakman
08-27-2009, 03:08 PM
corsair23 - also clueless. :D

corsair23
08-27-2009, 03:16 PM
corsair23 - also clueless. :D

HEY NOW, I resemble that remark :) :lmao: - Should we start the "Clueless Club"? I think Marco might want to join too...Although I think he is just claiming to be clueless at times to "fit in" :hill: - We could elect Perry as Commander of the "CC" - judging by his directions he'd fit right in!!

MDH33
08-27-2009, 03:17 PM
I'm not totally clueless. :hill: but I would say that it's becasue the distributor usually gets vacuum from the carb, so they need to be compatible in that sense. For example, if the distributor is the vacuum advance variety, then the carb must have the proper ported vacuum connection, etc.

Another reason that all those guys deal in both carbs and distributors is that most issues that cause a 40 to run poorly can be linked to either a carb or distributor. No 'puters to throw codes at you. :zilla:

corsair23
08-27-2009, 03:18 PM
Martin, you're obviously not nearly clueless enough to join the club

Sorry :(

MDH33
08-27-2009, 03:22 PM
Martin, you're obviously not nearly clueless enough to join the club

Sorry :(

At least when it comes to old rusty stuff. Uncle Ben had to teach me what OBD1 was when talking about 80's. :o

corsair23
08-27-2009, 03:33 PM
At least when it comes to old rusty stuff. Uncle Ben had to teach me what OBD1 was when talking about 80's. :o

Hmmm...that right there just might qualify you for the "CC"...:)

Beater
08-27-2009, 04:05 PM
just like engineer & nerd guy...

CardinalFJ60
08-27-2009, 04:12 PM
I'm also a part of this club..."birds of a feather..." :D

corsair23
08-27-2009, 04:29 PM
I'm also a part of this club..."birds of a feather..." :D

Excellent :thumb:

I think I found our Commander (sorry Perry) for the "CC"...This guy would fit right in. From a post on MUD today:

Higher Idle with AC on
My 91 3FE at typical idle is about 600-700rpm, i think this is low, but that's what it is. When I kick on the AC the idle jumps to 800-1000rpm. Anyone have this issue before or can help point me in the right direction? FSM is on its way, but slow in arriving.

The first response was, restrained :D...Obviously Romer has policed the 80s section well to keep the snide commenters away :)

That's normal. The A/C system kicks up the idle whenever the compressor's engaged. Further, if you're using your A/C and it's not super-hot out, your idle should cycle up and down every few minutes or so as the compressor engages/disengages.

Oh, and idle spec on a 3FE with engine warm, tranny in park, and A/C off is 650rpm.

Curtis

P.S. Sorry for hijacking your thread so badly Subzali but Nakman started it :hill:

60wag
08-27-2009, 05:49 PM
Back on topic...... Dizzies and carbs are both maintenance items on old engines. They wear, they clog, they leak. I'm not sure what would be similar on a newer motor. I guess anything with a diphragm vacuum motor is bound to fail eventually.

It'll be interesting to see what goes hand in hand when 80s are 30 years old.

Hey, can I be in the club?

RicardoJM
08-27-2009, 06:35 PM
I think it would be because of all the things that need to be just right the carb and dizzy have a very special relationship and of course the carb is a big $$$ (relative I know) item in the 40's - heck you can get an entire 1F or 2F for less money than a carb in tip top shape.

Also, can I be a charter member of the CC? I'm not looking for any officer position or any responsibility - just a badge to warn others who they are dealing with.

powderpig
08-27-2009, 09:51 PM
I know I am not clueless, but you guys make me laugh.