PDA

View Full Version : 4.0 Liter V6 in a FJ40

FJ 432
08-27-2009, 04:18 PM
Hello,

I have a 1980 FJ40 that I'm considering doing an engine swap. I guess anything is possible but how hard would it be to place a newer 4 liter V6 (Tacoma, FJC, etc.). Any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks

Randy Zepp

Seldom Seen
08-27-2009, 04:23 PM
3.4 has been done, don't see why a 4.0 would be any harder

http://irbisoffroad.com/fj401%20(Medium).JPG

Contact Oleg and bounce the Idea off of him.

FJ 432
08-27-2009, 04:33 PM
3.4 has been done, don't see why a 4.0 would be any harder

Contact Oleg and bounce the Idea off of him.

Thanks. Is the 3.4 yours and if so how do you like it? Ron at Rocky Mountain Cruisers was doing one last year and I thought that would be good also. My concern with a 4.0 is the electrical. Oleg?

corsair23
08-27-2009, 04:36 PM
Oleg?

http://irbisoffroad.com/

Zepp huh? Any relation to Jeff Zepp, el Presidente of the TLCA?

FJ 432
08-27-2009, 04:42 PM
http://irbisoffroad.com/

Zepp huh? Any relation to Jeff Zepp, el Presidente of the TLCA?

I checked with him on his name origins and I believe his name is from a step grandfather, so no. Just two Zepp's that share the same love for the same vehicles.

I am the dumb Zepp:)

MDH33
08-27-2009, 05:01 PM
The 40 with the 3.4 pictured that Oleg was working on belongs to a friend of mine. It was never completed by Oleg's shop and my friend is looking for help to get it done.

Romer
08-27-2009, 07:02 PM
I am Zepp, this is my brother Zepp and this is my other brother Zettl :D

FJ 432
08-27-2009, 07:10 PM
I am Zepp, this is my brother Zepp and this is my other brother Zettl :D

Yeah really. We're coming out of the wood works. The real shame is the last "p". It's that letter that keeps me (and Jeff btw) from becoming the heirs to Zep Manufacturing:D

CBone
08-27-2009, 09:19 PM
I know Art Volmer was helping some guy in his neighborhood do that engine install in a 40. I don't know all the details but some shop in the Springs started on the work and went out of business before it was done. You may want to PM him for details.

powderpig
08-27-2009, 09:47 PM
The 4.0 would be a killer swap. it is compact and comes in many flavors(auto, manual, etc). Just need to find the right wrecked truck to take all the bits and pieces from. Any how then it time and money after wards.
Best case if you are doing it your self is to take your time. Get the EWD's from both trucks and the FSM to help you out. Create your own Wiring harness if needed.
The power of the 4.0 is great(even better with some Forced induction). I love the power we have with the 07 runner we have. I think in time this will prove to be a better power plant then the 3.4.

FJ 432
08-28-2009, 09:07 AM
The power of the 4.0 is great(even better with some Forced induction). I love the power we have with the 07 runner we have. I think in time this will prove to be a better power plant then the 3.4.

Yes. I totally agree. I have a 07 FJ Cruiser and this is what got me thinking about this type of swap. I would love to find an FJC that was smashed up and use this as a jumping off point. The motor is more than enough .Maybe even use the bucket seats...

Randy

Art Volmer
08-28-2009, 12:17 PM
I know Art Volmer was helping some guy in his neighborhood do that engine install in a 40. I don't know all the details but some shop in the Springs started on the work and went out of business before it was done. You may want to PM him for details.

I am helping Will W. with his 4.0L Fj40 and I know he has had many small problems with the install but it is coming along and will be an awesome ride when complete. I got involved after the motor and auto transmission were in the truck so I not sure of all the challenges you will face but I know one problem he had was a clearance issue with the oil pan and Differential. The shop made him a custom pan but I don't know if there are other solutions to this problem? Good luck in the decision process. Art

FJ 432
08-28-2009, 01:34 PM
I am helping Will W. with his 4.0L Fj40 and I know he has had many small problems with the install but it is coming along and will be an awesome ride when complete. I got involved after the motor and auto transmission were in the truck so I not sure of all the challenges you will face but I know one problem he had was a clearance issue with the oil pan and Differential. The shop made him a custom pan but I don't know if there are other solutions to this problem? Good luck in the decision process. Art

Thanks for your input. My project is off in the future, when time and money becomes more available. I sure would be interested in seeing Will's 40 maybe sometime in the future. I just think that the 4.0 is a perfect combination with a 40. Although IMHO nothing sounds quite like a 2F. Happy Friday.

daisydog34
08-30-2009, 09:59 PM
Just finished putting the 3.4 in my 40. Went smooth for me, the wiring would be an issue if your not really good with wiring and how engine management systems work. Would be a cool swap though!!