PDA

View Full Version : 8th annual Spooky Night Run - October 24th

nakman
08-27-2009, 10:46 PM
Meet in the parking lot behind the Starbuck's at El Rancho.. that's up the hill a bit from McDonald's & Home Depot behind that car wash near the quicky lube, same side of the street. meet at 16:45, we'll try to be rolling by 5:00...

Bring warm clothes, including decent shoes, gloves, a jacket, and a hat.

-yes your truck can make it.
-yes you can come.
-yes, definitely bring the whole family.

The rest of the details are on a need to know basis, and well frankly, at this point you don't need to know. the is the Spooky Night Run, which is one of our biggest runs of the year, and the only one where you'll be led to the secret trail blind folded... ok not really.

But do start thinking about what you'd you'll contribute to the big potluck dinner, which as you all know has become very legendary in its own right. This year's dinner theme is "luau."

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e363/LeiLaniLuvsYou/HULA.gif http://www.hawaiipictures.com/pictures/gallery/luau/luau2-1%20copy.jpg http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a82/rafael_s/hula_girl.gif

Oh, and new trail this year :eek: :D:D laugh (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ns3M1Sj6x4o) :D:D

MDH33
08-28-2009, 08:23 AM
Bummer! that conflicts with the Outlaw Run. :(

subzali
08-28-2009, 09:06 AM
this sounds fun! Jacki and I will have been home for about a month from our hawaii honeymoon, so the luau is perfect! I'll see if we can make it!

nakman
08-28-2009, 09:13 AM
Almost impossible to not conflict with something anymore.. sorry Outlaws. But hey if you guys can hit the connection we'll talk to ya! http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/smileys/tinfoilhat4.gif

FJBRADY
08-28-2009, 09:16 AM
A mysterious spooky run:D

Air Randy
08-28-2009, 10:23 AM
this sounds fun! Jacki and I will have been home for about a month from our hawaii honeymoon, so the luau is perfect! I'll see if we can make it!

Just don't plan on bringing leftovers to the luau
:hill:

DaveInDenver
08-28-2009, 11:11 AM
Just don't plan on bringing leftovers to the luau
:hill:
I dunno, properly done Hawaiian pig-roast ham would be pretty nice.

Jacket
08-28-2009, 11:53 AM
But leave the poi at home!

nuclearlemon
08-28-2009, 12:47 PM
pineappple slices. i can handle those:D

Air Randy
08-28-2009, 04:21 PM
I dunno, properly done Hawaiian pig-roast ham would be pretty nice.

After a month? I sure hope it's cured properly................:p:

DaveInDenver
08-28-2009, 09:53 PM
After a month? I sure hope it's cured properly................:p:
Bummer, did sound good since I've never been to either a pig roast or Hawaii. Sorta assumed Matt has a freezer, tho. ;-)

pramjockey
09-03-2009, 10:49 PM
I'm a new guy who's hoping to join Rising Sun. Hopefully it's OK if I attend (and drag the wife along).

I'm a pretty darn good cook, so some guidance in what to bring would be great (if possible) since I've not attended one of these yet.

subzali
09-04-2009, 01:26 AM
Welcome! And absolutely come along! What kind of vehicle do you own and drive? Some guys here bring along crockpots for hot stuff, or they have engine manifold cookers for all kinds of things from burritos to hot dogs to chicken! Or there have been grills fired up in years past as well! Not sure if there is usually time for a dutch oven, but maybe!

MDH33
09-04-2009, 01:36 AM
Welcome! And absolutely come along! What kind of vehicle do you own and drive? Some guys here bring along crockpots for hot stuff, or they have engine manifold cookers for all kinds of things from burritos to hot dogs to chicken! Or there have been grills fired up in years past as well! Not sure if there is usually time for a dutch oven, but maybe!

What matt said, and also, no :beer: on the trail/road. :thumb: club rules.

Inukshuk
09-04-2009, 11:13 AM
Almost impossible to not conflict with something anymore.. sorry Outlaws. But hey if you guys can hit the connection we'll talk to ya! http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/smileys/tinfoilhat4.gif

As geeky as that sounds (is), it would be kinda cool. We'll be like 500 miles away near Kaycee Wyoming.

pramjockey
09-10-2009, 03:04 PM

:) Thanks! Driving a 2007 FJ Cruiser. It's mostly stock, but I'm working slowly on getting it ready for the serious stuff - just finished a tranny cooler and scuba mod last weekend.

Bringing up a grill probably makes the most sense. Of course, I haven't fired up the smoker all year, and with the inverter I could probably keep something warm on the way up.

Thanks for the tips!

What matt said, and also, no :beer: on the trail/road. :thumb: club rules.

Oh, never. blows my mind to see people drinking on the trail. My wife would kill me for breaking the FJ, but breaking it becasue I'd been :cheers: ? I'd shudder to think!

Dr. Schlegs
09-19-2009, 06:39 PM
Is run going to be Stock Land Cruiser Friendly?

nakman
09-21-2009, 09:29 AM
Is run going to be Stock Land Cruiser Friendly?

yup, you won't have a problem. :D

74fj40
09-22-2009, 08:16 PM
Will bring my family in the 4runner :D

RedCreeper
09-23-2009, 06:27 PM
going to try and make it. not sure with who yet. i will have another friend in a FJC with me maybe a third.

subzali
10-05-2009, 01:59 PM
I'm pretty sure I'm in. Thinking sweet and sour mahi mahi...

nuclearlemon
10-05-2009, 04:27 PM
I'm in...pineapple chunks or slices.

Bikeman
10-07-2009, 11:02 AM
I will most likely be there.

nakman
10-12-2009, 11:07 AM
Saturday's prerun was a complete success, this is going to be a great Spooky Night Run trail, with a large, flat, and protected cookout area very close to the start of the trail, then a fun optional loop further up for after dinner. Yes it will be an option to just do the dinner and not wheel further, or turn back if kids are cold, etc. The cookout area is literally 15 minutes from I-70... that's a nice bonus. In fact I'll likely suggest that no one even air down to get to the dinner site, there's only one "obstacle" and it's definitely doable in a stocker with good line selection, and there will be plenty of spotters on hand. If there's snow, then that changes things, only in the sense that we'll air down and may need a strap to get a couple of the smaller trucks up. In fact if there's snow, consider leaving the bald tires and unprepared vehicles at home please..

Kenny, yes there are tree branches. However you can get to the cookout site without touching any on the sides of your pristine little FJ, however one may want to touch your roof. Further up the trees get a little tighter, it's no tighter than last year's night run by any means... only thing worth suggesting is don't have a huge antenna on top of your roof, or it will get smacked by a branch. Beyond that don't worry.. :D

Things to bring:

flashlights & headlamps - makes cleanup easier after the cookout, plus fun for the kids
folding tables, if you have one
food to share
paper plates, paper towels, utensils, other random picnic supplies
warm clothes, kid and picnic-friendly dogs, great attitudes.

We will leave the Starbuck's parking lot at 5:00 pm on Saturday 10/24. Go up I-70, exit 252, turn left at the light by El Rancho, then turn right at the stop sign by the gas station, then down towards Home Depot until you see a road headed up to the right, take that uphill to Starbuck's, which is the strip mall that overlooks Home Depot, Walmart, and the car wash below.

Any more questions? post up! :thumb:

edit: Here is a picture of one of your trail leaders, and the cookout site. :camping:

FJBRADY
10-12-2009, 12:21 PM
:Princess: driving on this run......count us in :thumb:

treerootCO
10-12-2009, 01:23 PM
We will leave the Starbuck's parking lot at 5:00 pm on Saturday 10/24.
How many 80s do you expect on the run. We may want to ask the manager to bump up stock and staffing for Saturday. :hill:

timmbuck2
10-12-2009, 01:26 PM
How many 80s do you expect on the run. We may want to ask the manager to bump up stock and staffing for Saturday. :hill:

We Lexus owners will just use the onboard Espresso Machine/food processor/GPS system, thank you VERY much

nakman
10-12-2009, 04:02 PM
So who's going to bring the Loco Moco? :eek:

I think we'll go for sweet potatoes, and maybe some teriyaki flavored something..

subzali
10-12-2009, 04:06 PM
So who's going to bring the Loco Moco? :eek:

I think we'll go for sweet potatoes, and maybe some teriyaki flavored something..

You gonna get the purple Hawaiian sweet potatoes? :D

nakman
10-12-2009, 05:01 PM
Maybe if I can find them. Been reading about Poi too, but that sounds like a lot of work...

RedCreeper
10-12-2009, 05:10 PM
( Kenny, yes there are tree branches. However you can get to the cookout site without touching any on the sides of your pristine little FJ, however one may want to touch your roof. Further up the trees get a little tighter, it's no tighter than last year's night run by any means... only thing worth suggesting is don't have a huge antenna on top of your roof, or it will get smacked by a branch. Beyond that don't worry.. )

Tim be nice. Already have scratches i did not want to get so not so pristine. Groucho knows the story and some others do to. Don't want to sound like the chicken here by no means. Just don't need to beat the snaut out of the daily driver thank you. opps maybe to late. shhhhhhhh the bottom side is another story...... Trying to keep the body looking nice at least is not a crime. as nice as i can at least and keep peace in the house hold. not to worried about the roof and my antanee is not that tall. thanks for the update. looks like i know i will have one other FJ with me maybe one more. still waiting on the word from them. see everyone there. not sure what were brining yet.

Kenny

subzali
10-12-2009, 05:16 PM
Meh - poi isn't that great. It's a hawaiian thing I guess.

RedCreeper
10-12-2009, 05:56 PM
Tim,
What do you mean by "Fun Optional Route"? This can go many ways....

RedCreeper
10-12-2009, 05:58 PM
every budies vision of fun is different...

subzali
10-13-2009, 11:10 AM
Anybody planning on JUST going to the cookout? Jacki wouldn't mind driving the Tundra up to the cookout spot, but I want to make sure she gets back out ok 'cause I would like to continue on the full run with the Land Cruiser after the meal!

I don't want to send her back by herself, so if anybody is heading out right after the cookout let me know so I know she'll get back down and out safely!

corsair23
10-13-2009, 12:16 PM
Anybody planning on JUST going to the cookout? Jacki wouldn't mind driving the Tundra up to the cookout spot, but I want to make sure she gets back out ok 'cause I would like to continue on the full run with the Land Cruiser after the meal!

I don't want to send her back by herself, so if anybody is heading out right after the cookout let me know so I know she'll get back down and out safely!

Matt, if I don't get the LX back together before the run and we end up bringing the :Princess:'s 80 then we will probably be in and out...Stock 80 on crappy GY Wrangler RTS tires makes me :eek: :lmao: - Nothing set yet though

Jacket
10-13-2009, 12:58 PM
I'm planning on coming along - probably with Sam. Can't decide which rig to bring though....

subzali
10-13-2009, 01:36 PM
not a bad problem to have! :thumb:

nakman
10-13-2009, 03:28 PM
Matt, yes. Michele is going to drive our Taco up and plans to bail after dinner with Violet. Then Gavin & I are staying for the whole thing in the 80. So yeah if Jacki wanted to follow a Taco back down then you're all set, we'll be able to talk to them on 2m the whole way down as well.

Caribou Sandstorm
10-14-2009, 12:47 AM
I think we are in.

Bikeman
10-16-2009, 09:58 PM
Dang, I'm out, have to work 'til 5.

TIMZTOY
10-17-2009, 12:59 AM
I should be in. I'll be by my self. So if anyone needs or wants a ride I've technically got 3 emptys.
Is it acceptable to bring beer ? Or is it frowned apon ?
Not sure on the clubs alcohol policies

jacdaw
10-17-2009, 01:08 AM
Now that I'm out for the Outlaws Run :(, I think the :Princess: and I are in for the Spookedie Run, me for sure anyway. Having called Maui home once upon a time, I will definitely leave the poi at home, and will not be tasting it again if someone decides to bring it.

nakman
10-17-2009, 11:08 PM
Bummer, Mike! was looking forward to hanging out with you guys...

And happy to have you Tim, welcome. and yes the club's official policy is to frown on beer while on the trails, thanks for asking. But heck if you or anyone else wanted to camp up there after the run it should be perfect weather..

Glad you can come out too John, you'll like this run. :)

Dr. Schlegs
10-19-2009, 07:27 AM
I'm coming along with a couple of my friends. Anna (the dog) is itching to go as well, or maybe that is just fleas.

nakman
10-19-2009, 10:54 AM
spooky spooky... :eek:

74fj40
10-19-2009, 12:51 PM
Just found I work this saturday... Bummer. Maybe next year.

timmbuck2
10-19-2009, 12:57 PM

I might be headed back early....all depends on when/if I get the 80 back, when/if my parents decide they might be coming this weekend, etc etc. Amber might come along also then she would definitely head back early....

Bikeman
10-19-2009, 04:27 PM
I'm back in:thumb: and my buddy Jason. I thought it was this last weekend:doh:

nakman
10-19-2009, 04:27 PM
I might be headed back early....all depends on when/if I get the 80 back, when/if my parents decide they might be coming this weekend, etc etc. Amber might come along also then she would definitely head back early....

Call us on the radio, we'll talk you in. :cool:

FJBRADY
10-20-2009, 08:58 AM
Looking forward to it....I am bringing a gas grill for anybody who would like to use it!

Uncle Ben
10-20-2009, 09:11 AM
It now appears I might be coming on this after all! Woooo hoooo!

nakman
10-20-2009, 09:18 AM
spooooooooooooooooooooooooooooookyyyyyy.......

Uncle Ben
10-20-2009, 10:21 AM
spooooooooooooooooooooooooooooookyyyyyy.......

What is really spoooooooooooooookyyyyy is there is a chance my wife might go! :eek:
:bowdown::Princess:

Shark Bait
10-20-2009, 11:01 AM
I saw this last night. I'm home this weekend. Not teaching scuba. No hockey game to go to Saturday night. Jeanette sounds interested. We may be there. :eek::D

nakman
10-20-2009, 11:04 AM
I saw this last night. I'm home this weekend. Not teaching scuba. No hockey game to go to Saturday night. Jeanette sounds interested. We may be there. :eek::D

Now THAT'S spooky! Even more spooky if you take the 40... :D hope to see you both..

subzali
10-20-2009, 02:39 PM

Okay, I guess there's going to be a girl's night at our new apartment so no longer any need here! :thumb:

My dad's going to come with me again, this is going to be fun! In '05 he got sick for two weeks after the run because the weather stripping wasn't all that great and he froze his butt off over in the passenger seat the whole way home! :( But I just got done rebuilding the passenger side door with new paint, new weatherstripping, and I fixed it so it can be operated from the outside! First time in 4 1/2 years the pass. door is operable from outside! Yay! Heater works good (enough) so I'm pretty excited! My old boss Gary with his FJ60 "Ol' Grateful" will be there too! His FJ60 wasn't passing emissions and he took it to Joe Calleja's place to have them check it out and they found a red shop rag stuffed in the intake to the point that his HC and CO readings were way high! :lmao: He's been driving it for 2 years with a red shop rag stuck in the intake (got it to pass emissions a couple times :confused: but couldn't this time and he's been complaining about how stinky it is...:lmao:); he's pretty stoked to drive it again and feel what kind of power difference there's going to be! :lmao:

Not sure what I'm going to bring...hmm....

rover67
10-21-2009, 12:17 PM
I should be in. It'll just be me and the dog this year.

RedCreeper
10-21-2009, 01:59 PM
Looks like i am in also. Just me and the dog. nobody wants to ride with me. sniffle sniffle. Steven (ocr15a) will be there also. Waiting to hear if another is still coming.

ocr14a
10-22-2009, 08:37 AM
Yep, Karen's coming too. See you guys on Sat.
Thanks for the heads-up, Kenny. :thumb:

Bikeman
10-22-2009, 08:39 AM
Spooky Night Snow Run?

RedCreeper
10-22-2009, 10:14 AM
Yep, Karen's coming too. See you guys on Sat.
Thanks for the heads-up, Kenny. :thumb:

Oops missed by a number. sorry dude. no problem see you guys sat.

Caribou Sandstorm
10-22-2009, 10:39 AM
We are in a forsure also!

ocr14a
10-22-2009, 11:53 AM
Oops missed by a number. sorry dude.

No prob. :)
I'm sure that particular county road doesn't get offended when we spell it's name wrong :P

We are in a forsure also!

Cool. Haven't seen you for a long time (:eek::mad::rant:....:confused: ....:o ....:p::) ....:D)....it'll be nice to see you again.

Caribou Sandstorm
10-22-2009, 03:23 PM
Same here Steve!

Mendocino
10-22-2009, 03:27 PM
We are coming with the entire family and bringing Claire's award wining hot wings. We will have a side of pineapple to keep with the Hawaiian theme and to "cool down" the wings.:D

nuclearlemon
10-22-2009, 04:57 PM
We are coming with the entire family and bringing Claire's award wining hot wings. We will have a side of pineapple to keep with the Hawaiian theme and to "cool down" the wings.:D

hey!!! you stealing my side?;)

Caribou Sandstorm
10-22-2009, 05:38 PM
We are bringing some kind of vegetable salad...It is really good just had it last night...Don't worry will make a new batch for Saturday night..haha

ocr14a
10-22-2009, 06:34 PM
I know this is probably a stupid question, and may already have been answered (though not in the OP), but where will the pot luck be; outside on the trail somewhere, or in a warmed building (if it's earlier in the thread, just say so...I'll read through it more carefully)?

I'm not asking because it really matters much....mostly just curious.

nuclearlemon
10-22-2009, 06:52 PM
I know this is probably a stupid question, and may already have been answered (though not in the OP), but where will the pot luck be; outside on the trail somewhere, or in a warmed building (if it's earlier in the thread, just say so...I'll read through it more carefully)?

I'm not asking because it really matters much....mostly just curious.

on the trail

TIMZTOY
10-23-2009, 12:34 AM
Are we suposed to bring food ?

ocr14a
10-23-2009, 09:45 AM
Are we suposed to bring food ?

It's implied in the OP, but not strictly stated that way.
However, since it's a 'pot luck' (which usually means that people bring things to share with each other), we're bringing something.....just not 100% sure what that will be yet.

Karen wanted to bring some "Chicken &/or Pork Tenderloin Kabobs, with Hawaaian Marinade" and keep them warm in the crockpot connected to the FJ's inverter, but I had to put the kibosh on the kabobs.

I just can't imagine me being OK with having a bucket of steamy, gooey, odorous food sloshing around in my Sandi as we're going over rocks, bumps, dips, etc on a night run.....and no amount of attempts to reassure me that it would be OK will help...so sorry guys, you're gonna just have to come over sometime for the kabobs. :cheers:

subzali
10-23-2009, 10:49 AM
Just put the crockpot in a plastic tub! It'll be fine! ;)

rover67
10-23-2009, 10:51 AM
A little bungee works great on a crock pot. especially if it is one of the ones with a rubber gasket.

DaveInDenver
10-23-2009, 10:53 AM
I just can't imagine me being OK with having a bucket of steamy, gooey, odorous food sloshing around in my Sandi as we're going over rocks, bumps, dips, etc on a night run.....and no amount of attempts to reassure me that it would be OK will help...so sorry guys, you're gonna just have to come over sometime for the kabobs. :cheers:
Uncle Ben drove the Rubicon with a brisket in a Crock Pot, I'm sure yours is a solvable problem. :-)

ocr14a
10-23-2009, 11:02 AM
:lmao:

Thanks, guys, but...

...no amount of attempts to reassure me that it would be OK will help...so sorry guys, you're gonna just have to come over sometime for the kabobs. :cheers:

:thumb:

subzali
10-23-2009, 11:09 AM
Don't FJCruisers have washdown interiors? :confused:

RicardoJM
10-23-2009, 11:33 AM
What size inverter is needed to run a crock pot?

rover67
10-23-2009, 12:00 PM
I have a 750 watt cheapie from ace that will run ours on high. Have no idea what "high" is...

RicardoJM
10-23-2009, 12:09 PM

I have a 750 watt cheapie from ace that will run ours on high. Have no idea what "high" is...

Is a 100w too small for low?

Uncle Ben
10-23-2009, 12:14 PM
Is a 100w too small for low?

Crocks (at least mine) draw around 40-65 watts on low. I would think a 100w would get dang hot supply a constant load like that for very long.

ocr14a
10-23-2009, 12:27 PM
Don't FJCruisers have washdown interiors? :confused:

I'll assume you're just jabbing me for kicks :)
On a serious note though (just in case any FJCers out there are thinking of it), no, the FJC does not have a washdown interior. The interior was made to be more user friendly from a maintenance standpoint, and as such, is much more resistant to getting messed up from dirty things and spills, etc.

However, there are holes and slits and other types of openings in the floor under the seats which allow water (if poured wrecklessly over the floor like you would over the exterior) to pass through, down into some critical wiring areas as well as into some fabric which, once wet, stinks mightily for a long time and is almost impossible to clean out.

There are many threads on FJCF about all of this that I could post if you're interested in hearing more about it (some have tried washing the FJC out at those manual wash places and ended up with a nasty situation).

It is very nice to be able to wash mine out with buckets of warm water and rags and not worry about getting anything wet, but I'd never pour it in there or spray it like some have done.

Besides all of that, even if it were indestructable, that says nothing for everyting else that I have in my vehicle.

Call me a pretty-boy or whatever, but sorry, I'm just not going to do it. Hopefully the issue can :rip: :wav:

It depends on a number of issues. I actually just did a relatively extensive search on FJCF and got a few good points.

First off, the inverter needs to be able to handle the power requirements of the crockpot device. In my case (a 250 watt crockpot), since the FJC's built-in inverter runs at 400 while parked and down to 120 while moving, the inverter could not power the crockpot the whole time we're on our way to meet up or for the entire trail run. [of course, there may be enough heat in the pot to keep the kabobs warm enough, but in light of my earlier comments, that's irrelevant]

Next (and more importantly), you need to know how much aperage will be needed by the vehicle's electrical system by the inverter of choice. You can't just go out and buy a gigantic inverter and think it will be fine. You need to know how it will effect the battery.

Contrary to popular opinion, apparently the real problem with inverters stressing the electrical system is not with the alternator (at least not in modern Toyotas), but the battery. The alternator has built-in mechanisms to prevent it self from becoming damaged by too much of a draw. However, the battery has no such mechanism. If you discharge the battery too low (to wherever 'too low' is for each given battery), it is most likely ruined (though I have heard there is a special kind of battery that might survive better than most).

Since I'm just passing on second and third-hand info on much of this, I will leave the details of the rest up to others and to your own ability to search the forums, etc.

DaveInDenver
10-23-2009, 12:29 PM
Crocks (at least mine) draw around 40-65 watts on low. I would think a 100w would get dang hot supply a constant load like that for very long.
The biggest Crocks (like 6 quart) are ~250W on high. So these numbers make sense for a 3 quart on low.

subzali
10-23-2009, 01:18 PM
ocr14a,

we're not into name-calling much round here (except in some friendly situations), it's just that chicken kabobs sound SO GOOD that we were trying to find a way to get them to come along on the trip ;) We'll miss them for sure :(

And thanks for the clarification on the interior. I knew the FJC was more cleaning-friendly than other fully carpeted vehicles, but yeah the washdown interior was kinda tongue-in-cheek. All in good fun. Looking forward to it! :thumb:

Uncle Ben
10-23-2009, 01:43 PM
Next (and more importantly), you need to know how much aperage will be needed by the vehicle's electrical system by the inverter of choice. You can't just go out and buy a gigantic inverter and think it will be fine. You need to know how it will effect the battery.

Contrary to popular opinion, apparently the real problem with inverters stressing the electrical system is not with the alternator (at least not in modern Toyotas), but the battery. The alternator has built-in mechanisms to prevent it self from becoming damaged by too much of a draw. However, the battery has no such mechanism. If you discharge the battery too low (to wherever 'too low' is for each given battery), it is most likely ruined (though I have heard there is a special kind of battery that might survive better than most).

My solution....
http://www.smithae.com/deka_battery.jpg + http://www.rooftent.co.uk/images/nl-sel.jpg + http://www.batteriesdirect.com.au/shop/sc_images/products/836_large_image.jpg + http://www.man-a-fre.com/pa/pictures/MG1379.jpg + http://salestores.com/stores/images/images_747/ML150024.jpg = :bowdown::bowdown::kevin:

60wag
10-23-2009, 01:47 PM
You got a pallet of batteries?

RicardoJM
10-23-2009, 01:47 PM
My solution....

Do you really have 8 batteries in the back? :eek:

Uncle Ben
10-23-2009, 01:53 PM
You got a pallet of batteries?

It's my version of Hybrid! :thumb::thumb:

Uncle Ben
10-23-2009, 01:56 PM
Do you really have 8 batteries in the back? :eek:

How quick the masses turn on ya.... :rolleyes: :lmao::lmao:

nakman
10-23-2009, 01:57 PM
Ok so it's obvious to you new guys that everyone's bringing food now, right? :) see you tomorrow. :bolt:

rover67
10-23-2009, 02:28 PM
Hey ricardo, I'll make ya a deal.

If you want to run a crock pot you can throw it in my truck.

subzali
10-23-2009, 02:28 PM
Spooky!

FJBRADY
10-23-2009, 02:32 PM
ocr14a...............don't let these guys get to you. I also own a FJC which I am very fond of. This group is all about safe 4 wheeling and the spooky run is a great family event.

I look forward to meeting you. I am the bald guy that answers to Steve. :hill:

Hey Nakman, am I suppose to bring something or are you going to feed me?:confused:

Jacket
10-23-2009, 02:37 PM
I ran my crock at the GTR for about 2 hours on low and high using my 400w inverter - worked fine. But if you're running a single battery you may kill it...YMMV :)

DaveInDenver
10-23-2009, 03:07 PM
Hey Nakman, am I suppose to bring something or are you going to feed me?:confused:
I banking on being a mooch, unless a box of Tic-Tacs and a bottle of Sprite count as pot luck. I'm hoping to get together something, but I have a lot to do tomorrow around the house and so it comes down to just trying to make the run at all, much less have time to make food. I'm doing tile work tomorrow and that always ends up taking a lot longer than I plan.

RicardoJM
10-23-2009, 03:14 PM
Hey ricardo, I'll make ya a deal.

If you want to run a crock pot you can throw it in my truck.

Thanks Marco. I'm still trying to figure out what I'm bringing, but with all the crock pot talk it got me to thinking. If I end up with a crock pot dish, I'll PM you on logistics for getting it in your truck.

FJBRADY
10-23-2009, 03:19 PM
I banking on being a mooch.

Nice Dave, I like the way you roll. :thumb:

Jacket
10-23-2009, 03:48 PM
I'll be bringing some Hawaiian feral pig balls that I'll gladly share with Dave and Steve.

And of course some of this:

http://www.foodservicedirect.com/productimages/hawailans.jpg

Uncle Ben
10-23-2009, 03:52 PM
I'll be bringing some Hawaiian feral pig balls that I'll gladly share with Dave and Steve.

But haven't you heard?

http://silkenhut.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/swine-flu.png

DaveInDenver
http://www.foodservicedirect.com/productimages/hawailans.jpg
Dang it, now my surprise is out of the bag. Well, maybe I can guarantee that my jungle juice will be the mostest favoritest.

RedCreeper
Since there was a call for a aloha theme guess sushi is out....... mmmmm

the whole house is sick so looks like i may just bring a few cans of pinapple. Have to see what i can bring. what is the tally on what is being brung?

Steven, come on over tomorrow and i am sure i can figure out a way to bring the crock pot. hehe. a tarp , duct tape and bungee cords come to mind. i would do it but Fritz would eat it all before it even gets to the dinner spot. After all that is his area.

Jacket
10-23-2009, 03:55 PM
Since there was a call for a aloha theme guess sushi is out....... mmmmm

You're kidding, right? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spam_musubi)

DaveInDenver
10-23-2009, 04:41 PM
Spam sushi? Um, OK.

ocr14a
10-23-2009, 11:28 PM
...chicken kabobs sound SO GOOD that we were trying to find a way to get them to come along on the trip ;) We'll miss them for sure :(

Well....
wifie says that if one of you takie the crockie, we bringie the kabobies.
So, let me know as soon as you can.

My solution....
http://www.smithae.com/deka_battery.jpg + http://www.rooftent.co.uk/images/nl-sel.jpg + http://www.batteriesdirect.com.au/shop/sc_images/products/836_large_image.jpg + http://www.man-a-fre.com/pa/pictures/MG1379.jpg + http://salestores.com/stores/images/images_747/ML150024.jpg = :bowdown::bowdown::kevin:

:):lmao::):lmao:

oops....I really mean... :bowdown:

Do I get to see this tomorrow night? :thumb:

ocr14a...............don't let these guys get to you. I also own a FJC which I am very fond of. This group is all about safe 4 wheeling and the spooky run is a great family event.

I look forward to meeting you. I am the bald guy that answers to Steve. :hill:

No prob. I know it's all about good fun here in this group. I actually feel a bit more at home when I get this kind of ribbing. It feels like friends having fun with each other. See you tomorrow night. :cheers:

Dang it, now my surprise is out of the bag. Well, maybe I can guarantee that my jungle juice will be the mostest favoritest.

Doh! :P

Steven, come on over tomorrow and i am sure i can figure out a way to bring the crock pot. hehe. a tarp , duct tape and bungee cords come to mind. i would do it but Fritz would eat it all before it even gets to the dinner spot. After all that is his area.

Hahaha! :D
Thanks, Kenny. I appreciate your enthusiasum. However, my problem isn't enthusiasum (I've got plenty of that).

Dude, I can't even handle it when the ladies at work cook various kinds of otherwise reasonable food items (really, there's nothing wrong with what they eat at all) in the microwave and sit and eat them in their own cubicles surrounding my desk at work. I certainly am not going to go for this kind of thing in my poor Sandi.

No...if someone speaks up and says they'll take the crockpot at the meeting place, we'll bring the kababos. Otherwise, it will be something a little less on the gooey and odorous side of life. :-)

rover67
10-23-2009, 11:39 PM
ORC14a,

I'll take it for ya. Ricardo, if you bring yours, we'll plug it into my truck too. maybe we can burn up the inverter. I'm all for trying, it means i get to buy a real one.

tan 60 looks like the one in the avitar, see ya there,

-Marco

TIMZTOY
10-24-2009, 12:09 AM
If we pluged it Into my 40 the truck would probly blow up. Lol:lmao::lmao::lol::lol::clap:

corsair23
10-24-2009, 02:17 AM
Just FYI for those going if you have not heard:

WEEKEND TRAFFIC ALERT: EB I-70 Closed on the west side of Denver starting Friday at 8pm.

Eastbound will be routed off at C470 or 6th Ave. Trucks will be taken off at the Genesee Exit. The road closure is from 8:00 p.m. Friday until 5:30 a.m. Monday for light rail construction into Golden

We unfortunately won't be able to make it...Soccer game at 4pm and the LX is kicking my a$$ on the front axle :(

ocr14a
10-24-2009, 06:50 AM
ORC14a,

I'll take it for ya. Ricardo, if you bring yours, we'll plug it into my truck too. maybe we can burn up the inverter. I'm all for trying, it means i get to buy a real one.

tan 60 looks like the one in the avitar, see ya there,

-Marco

Will do.
Thanks, Marco.

See you there.
steven

60wag
10-24-2009, 08:28 AM

You spoiled my plan - Spam Musubi was going to be my appetizer.

RicardoJM
10-24-2009, 09:09 AM
TheBoomBoom and I are in. We are going to bring imported Hawaiian chicken and coleslaw, so no crock pot required. Rick works until 4:30 so we will be late to the meeting spot. I've PMd Nakman for directions/coordinates for the pot luck site-if they don't arrive we'll monitor 145.460 and hopefully can get talked on in.

Mendocino
10-24-2009, 09:36 AM
If we pluged it Into my 40 the truck would probly blow up. Lol:lmao::lmao::lol::lol::clap:

Or at minimum you would kill the ECM circuit.:rolleyes:

ocr14a
10-24-2009, 10:50 AM
Hey guys,
sorry, but I just realized what an idiot I'm being with this whole thing.....I'm actually sick right now. I don't think I have the flu, but I do have a cold, and it really doesn't make sense that I'd bring a pot of anything for others to eat. Sorry that I didn't think of it before.

On that note.... I was still going to come to the event even though I have a cold, but now that I think of it (with what's going on in our society right now), I better check with you... Would you prefer that I don't come along if I have a cold (for the sake of not spreading it), or would it be OK if I just played the limited-contact role and still enjoyed the run with you?

pramjockey
10-24-2009, 12:04 PM
I'm bringing enough to feed 6 or 7 - got to go fire up the smoker.

I'm sure there'll be plenty up there.

Caribou Sandstorm
10-24-2009, 12:57 PM
Hi Steven,

Bring a note from your Dr. that you can come out an play...jk..Your call on coming. As long as you don't have a fever, you shouldn't be too contagous..

But if you feel like being a couch potato, we understand and we will have lots of events to join in on..

Shark Bait
10-24-2009, 12:57 PM
We're working on pumpkin soup to bring. :)

Uncle Ben
10-24-2009, 01:04 PM
Spoke to the other Kevin this morning on Face Book and it seems we are both bringing similar things. Kevin S is bringing Chicken Adobo and I'm bringing Pork Adobo. Our rice cooker is also only 650watt so I will steam/cook the rice up there. Yum! Who's bringing the fresh Mango and Papaya? :lmao: Hopefully someone is doing drinks with the little umbrellas! (Non-alcoholic of course) :thumb::thumb: :homer:

Uncle Ben
10-24-2009, 01:06 PM
For those who haven't done a Spooky Night Run before it is customary to have a few vehicles dressed in Halloween decorations/lights!

powderpig
10-24-2009, 01:17 PM
Robin and ty will bring some goodies.
I am heading up in a couple of hours to cut wood for:campfire: and make the fire ring better. hoping the wind is in the right direction for :campfire:
Looking forward to the fun

ocr14a
10-24-2009, 01:31 PM
Hi Steven,

Bring a note from your Dr. that you can come out an play...jk..Your call on coming. As long as you don't have a fever, you shouldn't be too contagous..

But if you feel like being a couch potato, we understand and we will have lots of events to join in on..

Cool.
We'll be there then....just won't bring anything to share......unless you want us to pitch in some cash or firewood or whatever.

We're going to do soe climbing this afternoon first, and I'll try to check here again before we take off.

DaveInDenver
10-24-2009, 01:40 PM
Hopefully someone is doing drinks with the little umbrellas! (Non-alcoholic of course) :thumb::thumb: :homer:
I wasn't kidding about it... Virgin Mai-Tai and Pina-Colada drinks just don't seem right. Never been to Hawai'i, heck never on an ocean beach for that matter, so I hope I get them right since the only way I've ever tried them was, uh, the 'right' way (i.e. heavy on the rum)!

Bikeman
10-24-2009, 01:55 PM
Great idea on the virgin's.

Uncle Ben
10-24-2009, 01:56 PM
I wasn't kidding about it... Virgin Mai-Tai and Pina-Colada drinks just don't seem right. Never been to Hawai'i, heck never on an ocean beach for that matter, so I hope I get them right since the only way I've ever tried them was, uh, the 'right' way (i.e. heavy on the rum)!

Hawaii is easy to plan for! Set a budget for an extravagant get-away then double it and you are ready! :rolleyes: You think I'm kidding? Japanese big money fed tourist trap that is one of the prettiest places on earth! :thumb:

Uncle Ben
10-24-2009, 01:58 PM
Great idea on the virgin's.

Who's bringing the Virgins? Finally get my wife to go with me and now this...... :rant: :lmao::bowdown::Princess:

wesintl
10-24-2009, 02:22 PM
I'm bringing enough to feed 6 or 7 - got to go fire up the smoker.

I'm sure there'll be plenty up there.

sweet!

I think i'm just bringing a desert so i'm lookin forward to the main meals :eek:

nakman
10-24-2009, 03:41 PM
This is shaping up nicely... look for some Hawaiian style ribs on the grill from me, and mac & cheese on the engine if you're under 4...

and for anyone who can't get out of town in time to meet the group, here you go:

We're doing Barbour Fork- I-70 to the first Idaho Springs exit, then past Safeway take the left fork at the "Y" which is Miner street. Take that up the little hill and then left at the sign that says to Indian Springs Hot Springs, which is Soda Creek Road, which goes back under I-70. From there you just stay on the main road and in just a few miles the pavement ends and the trail begins...

The cookout site is literally 10-15 minutes from I-70. CB4 if you're close, 146.460 and 145.310 on 2m otherwise and someone can talk you in. I'm out the door now, one stop at the store then of to pick up my friend Brent, then will see most of you up at El Rancho by 5:00. Any questions at this point hit me on the radio... see you soon.

rover67
10-24-2009, 04:33 PM
hey guys, looks like i'm gonna be late. still gotta put the front bunper on the truck and get the compressor on it.

nakman
10-24-2009, 04:43 PM
No prob marco see you up there

rover67
10-24-2009, 04:47 PM
NM I'm taking the 40. the 60 is just too far away from being done. departing in 30.

pramjockey
10-24-2009, 10:34 PM
BRRRRR!

Took most of the drive down to warm back up. Next time I'll plan a little better (and have the legs done more quickly).

Mendocino
10-24-2009, 11:08 PM
I made it to the parking lot at the trail head, went to put the 40 on two wheel drive and my t-case linkage came off in my hand!:mad: My wife just said "its time for me to go now.":o

Anyway, I managed to get it into 2 low after much consternation since I have a full belly skid plate. I went from Idaho Springs to Golden at 40 mph at 3000 rpm.:rolleyes: Anyway, I spent some quality time in Golden with Vise Grips, a flashlight and the broken linkage stub and finally found 2 wheel high.:hill:

This was the first official voyage of the Camo Crusier at a RS event so I was pretty happy overall. Thanks Nakman for putting together such a nice event and thanks to everyone for bringing the great food.

ocr14a
10-25-2009, 01:15 AM
Redcreeper and I are home now (well, we're home, and he lives basically just down the street).

Thanks a lot, folks. I enjoyed it.

It was actually a little more like a Minnesota Luau (having lived there for my first 30 years, it was a striking resemblence), but still a great time. :thumb:

The :campfire: made a HUGE difference. Thanks there.

I took a few photos here and there tonight and will post them up soon (I know, I know, it took me a while to get the Feb. Switzerland Trail photos (http://www.everyforkintheroad.org/backroading/sandi/20090201_Risingsun_SwtzTrl/) up there, and I still owe somebody a video or two, but still...:)).

Again, thanks. Great time. :clap:

60wag
10-25-2009, 08:38 AM
We had a good time up there last night. Thanks Tim for putting it together and thanks Robbie for the fire and the mountain of cut firewood.

Rotorgeek
10-25-2009, 08:41 AM
Thanks to everyone and BIG thanks to the orginizers, I had a great time. Yes the BBQ grill stayed in the truck and upright the whole whay home =P.

ocr14a
10-25-2009, 09:56 AM
...sorry to hear about the beakdown. I'm glad there were a bunch of good folks to stick around and help them. So, how did that all turn out?

Thanks to Marco for going all the way down in front of me so I could feel comfortable getting out last night. It definitely helped.

rover67
10-25-2009, 10:05 AM
Hey no problem Steven, It was slick! Im glad we were able to get the lower group turned around and down, it was tight in the woods up there. Thanks Kevin for the help in coordinating that whole event. Kenny, I didn't realize you were following us the rest of the way down... misunderstanding on my part... sorry about that!

Air Randy
10-25-2009, 11:04 AM
So when did the rescue crew get off of the hill? I never did catch the name or forum handle for the 40 owner that broke down. Let him know I have a spare stock 40 diff if he needs to pick one up.

DaveInDenver
10-25-2009, 11:22 AM
Subzali, Treeroot, John and I made it back to Idaho Springs about 2. I got home and in bed about 3:15. The 40 driver's name is Dave, dunno his forum name. I know he got to the trailhead fine (with a lot of help from Subzali, pat yourself on the back Matt!) and thought he was going to park it for the night. Matt and his pop worked Matt's truck and winch very hard getting him down the hill. They pretty much winched him down about 500 feet and Matt's winch was not happy a couple of times. Matt and Gary (right?) chained up their trucks and walked the FWD 40 down the toboggan run to the trailhead.

But Matt was talking like he was going to try and drive it home to Evergreen. Not sure what he decided to do there. They got the diff back together well enough to roll and it probably would have done fine going slow. The repair spot ended up being lousy because the truck was pointed uphill and the guys were fighting gravity big time. Turns out that pulling the third would have been a better choice since two sets of cold hands and a heavy 40 diff don't work well pushing uphill thru the inspection plate! They ended up getting the driver's side bearing adjuster cocked and probably goobered it up a little. The bearings where loaded alright and they got it together well enough to move. The diff should be fine to rebuild, though I think.

Snowrun
10-25-2009, 11:45 AM
Thanks to everyone. BTW did anyone behind me see the mountain lion cross the road between me and Treeroot right in front of the Indian Springs resort?

subzali
10-25-2009, 12:14 PM
No but it added to the SPOOKINESS of the night!

RedCreeper
10-25-2009, 04:51 PM
No problem marco, i know RS was around if need be. but it made it SPOOKY!!!! put a post up in the other forum. think i may look at a HAM. To many here have them and the CB guys get forgoten. glad all went well. thanks steven for getting me home, was lost till about 70. till next time.

OH and i seen a coyote cross my path in frederick just before i got home. SSSPPPOOOKKKYYY!!!!

Kenny

TIMZTOY
10-25-2009, 10:10 PM
The broken rigs owner name is Dave. And online name is old40dog

ocr14a
10-26-2009, 11:09 AM
It's neither great, nor exhaustive, but here's a page with some photos from the other night...

http://www.everyforkintheroad.org/backroading/sandi/20091024_RisingSunSpooky/

FJBRADY
10-26-2009, 01:51 PM
It's neither great, nor exhaustive, but here's a page with some photos from the other night...

Very good, nicely done :thumb:

nakman
10-26-2009, 02:00 PM

Real cool! I like all the headlights through the trees at the end.

JammerGirl meeting someone new (new to us, anyway....name please).

That would be Jeanette Hatfield, wife of Shark Bait. ;)

pramjockey
10-26-2009, 11:20 PM

Lots of pics of the back of the short bus there at first.

:)

I wish I'd taken some shots, but I clearly wasn't prepared for the cold. They'd have been nothing but blur from my shivering!