PDA

View Full Version : Welding stainless to low carbon steel

Red_Chili
08-28-2009, 01:52 PM
As the title suggests. Using a MIG .030 wire with argon/CO2 mix. Non-structural application.

What do I need to be aware of? Web searches don't reveal much besides, use TIG.

The stainless is about 3/8" thick, the low carbon is about 1/8".

rover67
08-28-2009, 01:55 PM
nothing, just use your wire you use for everything else and it'll be golden :)

Beater
08-28-2009, 03:08 PM
well, I would use stainless wire, and remember, stainless get's a lot hotter a lot quicker than mild steel. Also lot's less forgiving.

I have both ss rod and wire to trade for labor/advice on ball joint spacers or beer. just not that hoppy stuff you drink.

daisydog34
08-30-2009, 08:55 PM
Weld SS, carbon, cast all day long at work. As the internet says TIG would be best, but I would use SS wire if I had no access to a tig rig. Also some guys will say if it is possible put a little heat on the carbon before welding. Kind of like when you weld to cast, but not quite as hot. If you use SS wire you should be good though, just remember to pull the puddle from the carbon to the ss.

Red_Chili
08-31-2009, 07:11 AM
well, I would use stainless wire, and remember, stainless get's a lot hotter a lot quicker than mild steel. Also lot's less forgiving.

I have both ss rod and wire to trade for labor/advice on ball joint spacers or beer. just not that hoppy stuff you drink.
Yer on. Come by this afternoon after 3:30 or so?

Stainless wire even with half the material being low carbon steel eh? Huh. I might have to swing by GASES (south) and talk to Dave Rios too.

Me, hoppy stuff? I thought that was what YOU drank. I hate IPA for instance (except for a couple from Colorado IIRC that are light hops... but I still would rather have a Negra Modelo or Newcastle Brown. I think I have a couple left if my son hasn't grabbed them.).

Beater
08-31-2009, 07:27 AM
I am in the tech center today, so that may not work - call me.

Uncle Ben
08-31-2009, 08:05 AM
Think about exhaust shops. They weld stainless cat coverters to aluminized pipe all day long. It's not structural but it can't have any leaks!

Rzeppa
09-02-2009, 11:28 PM
Agreed on the stainless wire/TIG, and the pre-heating the low carbon first. CS dissipates heat far more readily than stainless due to the high chromium and nickel in the stainless.

daisydog34
09-03-2009, 12:14 PM
Think about exhaust shops. They weld stainless cat coverters to aluminized pipe all day long. It's not structural but it can't have any leaks!

Yes but they would typically use TIG or a spool gun...not exactly mig:)

Red_Chili
09-03-2009, 12:38 PM
Done. Doesn't look like it will fall off any time soon. :lmao:
I didn't pre-heat, I didn't use stainless wire, and I didn't TIG.
I liked Marco's approach. ;)
...just remember to pull the puddle from the carbon to the ss.
Yep, did that much at least.

daisydog34
09-03-2009, 01:18 PM
Done. Doesn't look like it will fall off any time soon. :lmao:
I didn't pre-heat, I didn't use stainless wire, and I didn't TIG.
I liked Marco's approach. ;)

Yep, did that much at least.

So what did you do?

Uncle Ben
09-03-2009, 02:46 PM
Yes but they would typically use TIG or a spool gun...not exactly mig:)

Never seen anyone tig at a muffler shop unless it is a complete SS system. Usually one mig does it all kind of thang

daisydog34
09-03-2009, 05:00 PM
ya I guess you could just mig weld aluminum with aluminum wire, I have just never done it, or seen it done with out a spool gun!

RockRunner
09-03-2009, 07:46 PM
Bill, is that what you called me about last Saturday? I had a missed call from you but no message. We were in Pueblo and had a sort of had a bad signal while on the lake.

Beater
09-03-2009, 08:29 PM
ya I guess you could just mig weld aluminum with aluminum wire, I have just never done it, or seen it done with out a spool gun!

almost all of the aluminum trailers you see on the road are done with spool guns.

I have the feed kit for my lincoln, but you really need a push/pull set up because of the wire softness.

(or a tig) :)

Uncle Ben
09-03-2009, 09:03 PM

The aluminum is just a coating. It burns off the weld joint immediately.

Red_Chili
09-03-2009, 11:01 PM
Bill, is that what you called me about last Saturday? I had a missed call from you but no message. We were in Pueblo and had a sort of had a bad signal while on the lake.
No, truck died in Elizabeth and I had exhausted my troubleshooting options with the onset of darkness. Cheeseman snagged a trailer and got me home... and 20 minutes with a schematic the next morning, problem solved. Unbelievably minor cause. Of course! :lmao:

Red_Chili
09-03-2009, 11:02 PM
So what did you do?
Simple MIG, .030 wire, argon/CO2.

daisydog34
09-04-2009, 08:51 AM
The aluminum is just a coating. It burns off the weld joint immediately.

Oh ya that makes sense. I failed to remember that aluminum exhaust is just an aluminumized coating:( Thanks for setting me straight :D

RockRunner
09-04-2009, 09:05 AM
Well I am glad you got it taken care of. I would have helped you out if we were in town so don't hesitate to call in the future............hopefully I will never hear from you ;)

I am sure it was one wire disconnected or a loose ground, so what was it???

No, truck died in Elizabeth and I had exhausted my troubleshooting options with the onset of darkness. Cheeseman snagged a trailer and got me home... and 20 minutes with a schematic the next morning, problem solved. Unbelievably minor cause. Of course! :lmao:

AxleIke
09-04-2009, 09:09 AM
So what did you have to weld?