PDA

View Full Version : 8274 free spool?

subzali
08-30-2009, 12:59 PM
Any ideas why my otherwise working correctly 8274 doesn't free spool when I pull the knob out? What things can I start checking to find out?

Air Randy
08-30-2009, 06:18 PM
Have you tried running it forward and reverse with the knob pulled out? If you do, does the spool still turn or does the motor just run?

Do that to confirm that A-The gear train is disengaging and B-Sometimes that will free up the mechanism if its stuck. Also make sure the winch line isn't caught on itself on the spool. If it is you may need to attach the hook to something real solid, make sure the gear is in free spool, then gently back up. It usually only takes a tug or two to break it free.

Thats why I don't tighten my winch cable up snug so that it remains under tension in between uses.

60wag
08-30-2009, 08:45 PM
My 8274 brake was a bit sticky and wouldn't want to release completely to freespool. The forward/reverse move would help separate the brake disks - sometimes. Sometimes it would release, you then pulled out cable and the thing would go for 10-15 ft then suddenly brake again.

subzali
08-31-2009, 07:30 AM
Hm. If the knob is pulled out the drum does not turn. I guess I'll have to pull the brake assembly apart and check it to see if it's dirty or missing any parts...