View Full Version : 40's Only Run

MDH33
08-31-2009, 08:18 PM
Who:

FJ40 Owners!

What:

Just what it says, a run for Only FJ40's! :bowdown::zilla:

When:

Saturday September 26. Meet at 8:30 in the Staples/Margaritas parking lot in Conifer/Aspen Park off 285. This is a little further up the road past the King Soopers area. The Exit is right when you see the Bradley/Sinclair gas station.

Where:

Georgia Pass, Glacier Ridge, Middle Fork of the Swan, maybe Webster (?) or anywhere else we decide to go - there's a lot of trails in the area.

Why:

Because there aren't enough 40's on the trail anymore and all our club runs are crowded with 80's, 100's, FJCruisers and other assorted luxury rigs. :p: Plus it's fun to wheel with a bunch of old-school rigs once in awhile. ;)

How:

Dust off your 40, add some oil, grab your tool bag, spares, lunch, a jacket and let's go.

This is the third annual Rising Sun "40's Only Run". The plan is to meet up in Conifer and head down to Jefferson along 285. We'll head up Georgia Pass and explore some of the trails. These trails should be mellow for any stock FJ40. There a lot of routes we can take, but we can decide depending on the rigs that show up. I hope all the 40 owners can make it. If you don't have a 40, you're welcome to ride along. :)

:thumb:

http://mdhuber.smugmug.com/photos/196787952_ceU4Y-S.jpg

http://mdhuber.smugmug.com/photos/196787188_t2PN5-S.jpg

http://mdhuber.smugmug.com/photos/344492686_9pTMA-S.jpg

http://mdhuber.smugmug.com/photos/344489090_fH3ML-S.jpg

corsair23
08-31-2009, 11:05 PM
Sounds like it should be a GREAT time and I'd be there for sure if it wasn't for the fact that I'll be in Germany doing some of this :D

The 40 could have used a good stretching on its legs...You guys have a great time :thumb:

60wag
09-01-2009, 06:53 AM
Anyone got a 40 I can borrow? :)

MountainGoat
09-01-2009, 07:36 AM
I'm in! :cool: This is gonna be awesome. (Although the beer and bewbers ARE tempting.)

http://www.clear-results.com/fj40/67fj40/cascade1.jpg

Hopefully the air will be cool enough to prevent vapor lock! :hill:

subzali
09-01-2009, 07:40 AM
Bruce, you could borrow mine since I'll be recovering from jet lag that day...

RicardoJM
09-01-2009, 07:56 AM
:cool: I'm in. :thumb:

FJBRADY
09-01-2009, 08:16 AM
I should be able to make this.

Jacket
09-01-2009, 08:34 AM
If I can get her put back together and tested out in time for this, then I'm in.

MDH33
09-01-2009, 09:05 AM
Sounds like it should be a GREAT time and I'd be there for sure if it wasn't for the fact that I'll be in Germany doing some of this :D

You're off the hook, but bring some back to share. :D

I'm in! :cool: This is gonna be awesome. (Although the beer and bewbers ARE tempting.
Hopefully the air will be cool enough to prevent vapor lock! :hill:

I think the route we'll take shouldn't have any big rock piles like we encountered on Cascade Creek. ;)

No better cure than to head to the mountains. :thumb:

:cool: I'm in. :thumb:
I should be able to make this.

:headbang:

If I can get her put back together and tested out in time for this, then I'm in.

Let us know if you need a hand.

Hulk
09-01-2009, 02:38 PM
Sounds good. I'm putting it on my calendar.

timmbuck2
09-01-2009, 02:47 PM
Going to spend all weekend going over the 65 to get her ready for the run...anyone really bored this weekend and wants some beer and BBQ (smoker will be going all weekend...ribs and pulled pork) just let me know...

T

CardinalFJ60
09-01-2009, 03:11 PM
If I can find the time and money to get the muffler replaced (thanks AA exhaust!), I'm in. The floor is currently heating up to about 175 degrees with a heat sheild and wrapped...time to replace it.

timmbuck2
09-01-2009, 03:34 PM
If I can find the time and money to get the muffler replaced (thanks AA exhaust!), I'm in. The floor is currently heating up to about 175 degrees with a heat sheild and wrapped...time to replace it.

well if not we can always cook our food for lunch on your floor!! :lmao:

CardinalFJ60
09-01-2009, 04:54 PM
I've been looking at the engine bay for a good place for the hot-dogger...I've got a "griddle" right behind the DS! :lmao: Who's up for fried eggs and pancakes!?

ttubb
09-01-2009, 05:05 PM
Looks like I will be able to make it. In spite of the four hour drive each way...Terry

ttubb
09-01-2009, 05:32 PM

Aw c'mon Matt! Wouldn't be the same without you! :thumb:

Mendocino
09-01-2009, 08:55 PM
I ordered new headers for the camo 40 and went to install them tonight and the DS bank header has two big dings in the tube!:banghead:

I called Jegs and they said I could warranty them, but they do it UPS Ground both ways! I leave the country on the 9th and don't get back to the 25th. It looks like I'm out of the 40s run in one of my 40s.:mad:

Caribou Sandstorm
09-01-2009, 09:20 PM
I hate this run...because I don't have a 40 yet....Can I hitch a ride with anyone??

Air Randy
09-01-2009, 09:27 PM
Tentatively count the Blue Mule in. How much of this will be paved driving versus offroad? I'm trying to figure out from your trail description if I can trailer up from Franktown to Conifer and if we'll end up back near Conifer to reload for the trip home.

Air Randy
09-01-2009, 09:29 PM
Oops, hang on, I just realized the trip to Moab is Sept 26 through Oct 1. I think Dee has gotten PTO time off from work so we can go.

bh4rnnr
09-01-2009, 09:46 PM
I hate this run...because I don't have a 40 yet....Can I hitch a ride with anyone??

If theres any seats left open after Chris i'd love to join. Be happy to take plenty of pics for a TT artical;)

ttubb
09-02-2009, 07:24 AM

Chris, I don't think my wife is going to go on this so you are welcome to ride with me. I will likely meet the group at Jefferson on 285 rather than drive to the meeting point. If you can meet me there I would love to have you ride along. Terry

MDH33
09-02-2009, 08:46 AM
Sounds good. I'm putting it on my calendar.

glad you can make it :headbang:

Going to spend all weekend going over the 65 to get her ready for the run...anyone really bored this weekend and wants some beer and BBQ (smoker will be going all weekend...ribs and pulled pork) just let me know...

T

Get 'em fixed! :thumb:

MDH33
09-02-2009, 08:48 AM
I ordered new headers for the camo 40 and went to install them tonight and the DS bank header has two big dings in the tube!:banghead:

I called Jegs and they said I could warranty them, but they do it UPS Ground both ways! I leave the country on the 9th and don't get back to the 25th. It looks like I'm out of the 40s run in one of my 40s.:mad:

That's a drag. Was it damaged in shipping?

MDH33
09-02-2009, 08:49 AM
Looks like I will be able to make it. In spite of the four hour drive each way...Terry

You'll get the iron butt award, Terry. :thumb: The area we are going to be wheeling has some good camping if you don't want to make the drive home the same day.

MDH33
09-02-2009, 08:51 AM
Oops, hang on, I just realized the trip to Moab is Sept 26 through Oct 1. I think Dee has gotten PTO time off from work so we can go.

Yeah, September weekends were filling up with events, so I had to overlap a little with the Moab run. Have a great time! I'm sure the wheeling out there will be great this time of year.

MDH33
09-02-2009, 08:52 AM
If theres any seats left open after Chris i'd love to join. Be happy to take plenty of pics for a TT artical;)

Right on, Perry. I'll likely have an extra seat.

Mendocino
09-02-2009, 08:53 AM
That's a drag. Was it damaged in shipping?

I think it was damaged in production. So much for the "100% inspected" claim.:rolleyes:

MDH33
09-02-2009, 08:53 AM

You have three weeks to find a 40. :cool:

Old40Dog
09-02-2009, 09:00 AM
If there's still room, my wife and I would like to do join in. It's on our calendar. Anyone planning to camp overnight?

MDH33
09-02-2009, 09:05 AM
If there's still room, my wife and I would like to do join in. It's on our calendar. Anyone planning to camp overnight?

You're more than welcome. Where in Evergreen are you? I think I might have seen your 40 a couple of times. I'm usually rolling around in a red FJ60 with a rack and RTT on it.

Rzeppa
09-03-2009, 11:29 PM
I can't wait! We have always enjoyed this run.

Bruiser
09-04-2009, 09:54 PM
My wife and I are goning to try to make it. We are supposedly going to the Rockies game that night but I think we should be able to squeeze in both. See Randy, I am going to go on a run.

Old40Dog
09-07-2009, 09:12 PM
I live about 5 miles out Brook Forest Road.

Just got her back this evening from the Ouray run. :cheers: It was GREAT! :thumb: I'll try to get some photos up tomorrow.

Gotta little work now to do before I can take her out again. Hope to get to it next weekend. Hope to be ready for the 26th!

FJ40zen
09-07-2009, 09:44 PM
Hmmmmmmm.... Do you folks mind if one or two of us from the Horsetooth club show up with 40's? :beer:

Uncle Ben
09-07-2009, 09:46 PM
Hmmmmmmm.... Do you folks mind if one or two of us from the Horsetooth club show up with 40's? :beer:

We would be offended if you did not come! :thumb::thumb: :bowdown::zilla:

TIMZTOY
09-09-2009, 12:48 AM

I think hell be making it. We got the Camo running it just has a slight idle issue. Should be rather easy to work out the bugs.

MDH33
09-09-2009, 08:19 AM
Sounds like it's shaping up to be a good run. I'll be pre-running the trail sometime in the next couple of weeks to try and nail down a specific route. :thumb:

MDH33
09-09-2009, 08:22 AM
I live about 5 miles out Brook Forest Road.

I live about 4 miles down Brook Forest, so we are practically neighbors. :hill: I'm up Blue Spruce, on the other side of the road from the Lower Maxwell Falls Trailhead.

LETSROLL
09-11-2009, 01:04 AM
I have the same question as AIR RANDY
How much of this is road vs trail and how muc of the trail riding is doable in a very stock 40 that isn't lifted or have big tires?

MDH33
09-11-2009, 08:22 AM
I have the same question as AIR RANDY
How much of this is road vs trail and how muc of the trail riding is doable in a very stock 40 that isn't lifted or have big tires?

A stock 40 will have no problem. As for the route, I haven't nailed down the specifics yet, but ideally we would do a loop that begins and ends on 285. However, if someone needed to exit via I-70, that would be possible as well.

Hope you can make it. :thumb:

LETSROLL
09-11-2009, 12:02 PM
Should I get my CB installed for this trip?

MDH33
09-11-2009, 12:06 PM
Should I get my CB installed for this trip?

It's always a good idea to have a CB on club trail runs. Even better, get a HAM :yagi:

Bruiser
09-11-2009, 01:39 PM
Unfortunately I do not have a HAM or a CB yet but I am pretty sure I can learn to honk morris code :D. I am looking into buying something now but not sure I could make up my mind before the trip.

Looking forward to the run.:cheers:

MDH33
09-11-2009, 02:04 PM
Unfortunately I do not have a HAM or a CB yet but I am pretty sure I can learn to honk morris code :D. I am looking into buying something now but not sure I could make up my mind before the trip.

Looking forward to the run.:cheers:

I highly recommend this unit for a 40.

http://www.walcottcb.com/uniden-pro520xl-compact-cb-radio-with-pa-jack-p-532.html?cPath=340_377

It sounds good, it's cheap and it's small. Takes 20 minutes to install and that's only if you're persnickety about how carefully you route the wires to your battery. I've ordered a bunch from WalcottCB, good site. I also have purchased stuff from Radio Service Center on Sheridan.

Plenty of time to get something purchased and installed. However, if you don't get something before the run, that's ok too.

Hulk
09-11-2009, 02:11 PM
That's the same one I have. Works great.

Bruiser
09-11-2009, 02:28 PM
Thanks guys. Wouldn't want to be that guy everyone makes fun of over the air because they now you're not listening. :(

Seems like you almost have to have a HAM and a CB given that people in the club use both. Is that your experience?

MDH33
09-11-2009, 02:31 PM
Thanks guys. Wouldn't want to be that guy everyone makes fun of over the air because they now you're not listening. :(

Seems like you almost have to have a HAM and a CB given that people in the club use both. Is that your experience?

It sure seems like the club is moving in the direction where HAMS outnumber CB's on trail runs. I have both in my 40 now. :)

Hulk
09-11-2009, 03:34 PM
I only have a CB in my 40. I have a handheld ham radio that I can take though.
I have both ham and CB in my 80.

RicardoJM
09-11-2009, 03:46 PM

I installed ham first, and installed the CB a month or so ago. The Uniden 510xl is the model just below what Martin and Matt have - it is less than $35 with free shipping (http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=uniden+510xl&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=3503385765&ref=pd_sl_8lgaxt2n3d_e) at Amazon. I picked up the antenna, cable and mount at Radio Service Center along with a SWR meter. Installation and tuning was very straigtforward. You can easily get this done between now and the run.

Either way the cost for good equipment and a solid installation will be close to the same. That is to say a solid radio (2 meter ham or CB) that will last many years in harsh environments will be about $120-150 initial investment. I went with the cheap CB knowing that in all likelihood it will break after a couple of years.

If this is a one or the other type of decision, I would recommend you go ham. Getting licensed is a fairly straight forward process. There is an exam next Wednesday night at Front Range Community College in Westminster. :thumb:

Bruiser
09-11-2009, 08:17 PM
Thanks Ricardo and everyone else. I will probably get a CB between now and the run and then get a HAM later.

MDH33
09-12-2009, 08:29 PM
Notice: I edited the first post because I changed the meeting location. Still in Conifer, but different spot.

74fj40
09-13-2009, 09:46 AM
I'm in, see you guys there :)

FJBRADY
09-13-2009, 11:03 AM
I'm out....cracked my frame on Holy cross yesterday:(

ttubb
09-13-2009, 03:33 PM

Where did the crack appear, Steve? How did it happen? Sorry to hear about this and sorry you won't make the run. Terry :(

Uncle Ben
09-13-2009, 04:47 PM
Where did the crack appear, Steve? How did it happen? Sorry to hear about this and sorry you won't make the run. Terry :(

Steve,
The crack was probably started quite a while back but took till now to crack far enough to peel the perch away. It happens! Clean the metal with a wire brush, use a narrow grinding disc to make a "ditch" along the entire crack and weld it back together. When welding only weld about an inch at a time. Move to a differant place and do the same. The goal is to not over case harden the whole damage zone which simply create more places for cracks to happen. If possible add a gusset or scab plate. Check the other perches too very close as there is a good possibility there might be more hidden cracks.

MDH33
09-13-2009, 06:25 PM

That's a serious drag. :( I was hoping you might lead the more built rigs down SOB hill while I lead the stockers. ;)

Hope you can get it fixed up. :thumb:

74fj40
09-13-2009, 09:57 PM
Just remembered that I work that saturday. :( I guess i'll have to miss out this year.

AxleIke
09-13-2009, 10:16 PM
Steve,
The crack was probably started quite a while back but took till now to crack far enough to peel the perch away. It happens! Weld clean the metal with a wire brush, use a narrow grinding disc to make a "ditch" along the entire crack and weld it back together. When welding only weld about an inch at a time. Move to a differant place and do the same. The goal is to not over harden the whole damage zone which simply create more places for cracks to happen. If possible at a gusset or scab plate. Check the other perches too very close as there is a good possibility there might be more hidden cracks.

x2

When I cut my rear xmember out and put in the new one, I found a spot that had rusted and then cracked in the frame.

I did almost exactly as UB recommended, but, since I made the ditch and then fill-welded the crack, I had plenty of weld in line with the metal. I ground what little weld stuck up smooth, and then plated over with a piece of 3/16" plated in a diamond shape.

FJBRADY
09-13-2009, 10:43 PM

I was trying to climb out of French Creek on the Holy Cross run when I heard a pop sound, next thing I know someone outside the rig brought it to my attention. The crack is on the passenger rear where the front of the leaf spring meets the frame.

FJBRADY
09-13-2009, 10:46 PM
Steve,
The crack was probably started quite a while back but took till now to crack far enough to peel the perch away. It happens! Clean the metal with a wire brush, use a narrow grinding disc to make a "ditch" along the entire crack and weld it back together. When welding only weld about an inch at a time. Move to a differant place and do the same. The goal is to not over case harden the whole damage zone which simply create more places for cracks to happen. If possible add a gusset or scab plate. Check the other perches too very close as there is a good possibility there might be more hidden cracks.

Thank you for the advice, Kevin!

Air Randy
09-14-2009, 02:49 PM
Not to worry, Steve is gonna come over this weekend. We'll get him fixed up in time to make the 40's run.

Uncle Ben
09-14-2009, 02:59 PM
Not to worry, Steve is gonna come over this weekend. We'll get him fixed up in time to make the 40's run.

:thumb::thumb::bowdown::zilla:

FJBRADY
09-15-2009, 11:30 AM
40 only run check list.

Brakes fixed.......................done.

Frame weld........................done.

Transfer case leak reseal......rescheduled.

Looks like I am on schedule to make this run :thumb:

Uncle Ben
09-15-2009, 11:35 AM
40 only run check list.

Brakes fixed.......................done.

Frame weld........................9/19

Transfer case leak reseal......9/22

Looks like I am on schedule to make this run :thumb:

:thumb::thumb::bowdown::zilla:

timmbuck2
09-15-2009, 12:16 PM
I think I can I think I can I think I can

wesintl
09-15-2009, 12:50 PM
Sorry I won't be able to make this one Martin. I'll be in Durango for a wedding. The 40 needs to stretch is legs too.

066wally
09-16-2009, 12:05 AM
I'm tempted to make the run this year, read about last years run and wished I had gone. It has been years since my 40 has hauled me to the hills, but I have been weeding out the trouble spots on it the last two years and want to give it a try.
I'm not a member, not lifted, not locked, no power steering, no top, fairly experienced, know my limitations. '70, 2F, 4 speed.
I'm tempted to see if the ol' 40 can make it up the hill, offroad doesn't scare me, on highway does a little bit.
Can I come?
What else would I need, besides what is listed in the invite?

P.S. I can add BLUE to the M&M colors scheme.

MDH33
09-16-2009, 10:38 AM
Glad to have you along. :thumb:

I'm tempted to make the run this year, read about last years run and wished I had gone. It has been years since my 40 has hauled me to the hills, but I have been weeding out the trouble spots on it the last two years and want to give it a try.
I'm not a member, not lifted, not locked, no power steering, no top, fairly experienced, know my limitations. '70, 2F, 4 speed.
I'm tempted to see if the ol' 40 can make it up the hill, offroad doesn't scare me, on highway does a little bit.
Can I come?
What else would I need, besides what is listed in the invite?

P.S. I can add BLUE to the M&M colors scheme.

Zero1
09-16-2009, 02:22 PM
I'm interested in coming along to photograph if I can catch a ride with someone :beer:

timmbuck2
09-16-2009, 02:23 PM
out due to DMV issues

theRash
09-16-2009, 02:44 PM
I am planning on going.

It depends on how quickly I can get my cruiser to idle. Should be taken care of in the next day or two. Either way I think I have time to get it all handled.

Old40Dog
09-16-2009, 09:44 PM
What happened to I think I can...I think I can... Ithink I can?:D We need more 40's!!!!:thumb: 40's rule!!!!:bowdown: Don;t let 'em get you down:blah:

timmbuck2
09-17-2009, 01:58 PM
I think I can...and I did get a 60 day permit. I will be there! :)

MDH33
09-17-2009, 07:28 PM
Looks like we have good group shaping up. Here's who I have so far:

Martin (MDH33)
Dan (MountainGoat)
Ricardo (RicardoJM)
Steve (FJBrady)
Matt (Jacket)
Matt (Hulk)
Timm (timmbuck2)
Shawn (Cardinal FJ60)
Terry (ttubb)
Jeff (Mendocino)
Dave (Old40Dog)
Jeff (Rzeppa)
(Bruiser)
(FJ40Zen)
(LetsRoll)
(066wally)
Scott (theRash)

Passengers

Chris (Chris sandstorm FJ)
Perry (bh4rnnr)
(Zero1)

I left a blank if I didn't know your first name, sorry 'bout that.

timmbuck2
09-17-2009, 11:06 PM
Timztoy will be a passenger in Jeff or my rig, or might scrounge up a 40 to drive. One of my new neighbors has a 40, think he will be joining us also.

17 rigs?! we need some coooool pics! and a write up for Toyota Trails

MDH33
09-18-2009, 09:45 AM
17 rigs?! we need some coooool pics! and a write up for Toyota Trails

That's the plan. ;)

rover67
09-18-2009, 05:01 PM
Martin, put me down for the 40's only run. I'm planning on making this one this year ;)

more to come..

Uncle Ben
09-18-2009, 05:06 PM
Martin, put me down for the 40's only run. I'm planning on making this one this year ;)

more to come..

So do tell wagon man.....how do you think your gonna pull that one off? ;)

corsair23
09-18-2009, 05:24 PM

more to come..

Marco,

Do you need the code to get the 40 out of the garage? :D - Or does this mean you have found a 40? :thumb:

Kenon698
09-18-2009, 09:06 PM
I found out today that I can make it.:)

MDH33
09-18-2009, 09:29 PM
Great to hear Marco and Ken, I'll add you guys to the list. :thumb:

Martin (MDH33)
Dan (MountainGoat)
Ricardo (RicardoJM)
Steve (FJBrady)
Matt (Jacket)
Matt (Hulk)
Timm (timmbuck2)
Shawn (Cardinal FJ60)
Terry (ttubb)
Dave (Old40Dog)
Jeff (Rzeppa)
(Bruiser)
(FJ40Zen)
(LetsRoll)
(066wally)
Scott (theRash)
Marco (Rover67)
Ken (Kenon698)
Paul & Julie (toplessfj)
Chris (Chris sandstorm FJ)
(AFA FJ40)

Passengers

Perry (bh4rnnr)
(Zero1)
Tim (Timztoy)

toplessfj
09-19-2009, 03:39 PM
Hey guys we're Paul and Julie from the Horsetooth 4 wheelers we're planning on tagging along if it's OK :);)

FJBRADY
09-19-2009, 03:53 PM
Huge thanks to Randy for welding up the 40.....found a bigger crack in the front cross member :eek:

Ricardo made a cameo appearance and fixed my heater :bowdown: Now I am ready for the snow run :thumb:

Thanks to both for getting me back on trail for the 40 only run!!!!

MDH33
09-19-2009, 05:23 PM
Hey guys we're Paul and Julie from the Horsetooth 4 wheelers we're planning on tagging along if it's OK :);)

Absolutely. as long as you're driving a 40, of course ;)

Huge thanks to Randy for welding up the 40.....found a bigger crack in the front cross member :eek:

Ricardo made a cameo appearance and fixed my heater :bowdown: Now I am ready for the snow run :thumb:

Thanks to both for getting me back on trail for the 40 only run!!!!

Great to hear you got it patched up Steve. :thumb:

Bruiser
09-19-2009, 08:55 PM
Man, 21 40's on a run. This is going to be a great run.

AFA FJ40
09-20-2009, 08:31 PM
Any chance a Military guy with an FJ40 from Colorado Springs can get an invite to this chindig? Not a member but am a member of TLCA and have a call "N7RKS"....:)

1982 FJ40 4" lift on 33x12.5x15

TIMZTOY
09-20-2009, 08:43 PM
Sweet I thought I was out due to jeff said he can't make it. Then confirmed with timm so I'm in.

P.s. ( bruiser = justin )

MDH33
09-20-2009, 10:07 PM
Any chance a Military guy with an FJ40 from Colorado Springs can get an invite to this chindig? Not a member but am a member of TLCA and have a call "N7RKS"....:)

1982 FJ40 4" lift on 33x12.5x15

Sure. How did you hear about the run?

Caribou Sandstorm
09-20-2009, 11:00 PM
I am coming with my buddy Kirk's blue FJ40...

AFA FJ40
09-20-2009, 11:09 PM
Sure. How did you hear about the run?

I'm not really sure, I think I was looking at clubs in the area and the Colorado Springs club web page was and is dead (any idea why?) so I went to the rising sun to see what was going on. I just happened to look at the yellow box on the main page "Recently in the rising sun forums" and BAM...there it was.

I have some muffler work to do on the FJ40, but I'm sure I can get er done before Saturday...You would not imagine what I've done just to get to the muffler work...:rolleyes:...well if you have an FJ40 then you might know!?

Thanks for the invite...:cheers:

MDH33
09-21-2009, 08:54 AM
I'm not really sure, I think I was looking at clubs in the area and the Colorado Springs club web page was and is dead (any idea why?) so I went to the rising sun to see what was going on. I just happened to look at the yellow box on the main page "Recently in the rising sun forums" and BAM...there it was.

I have some muffler work to do on the FJ40, but I'm sure I can get er done before Saturday...You would not imagine what I've done just to get to the muffler work...:rolleyes:...well if you have an FJ40 then you might know!?

I believe Colorado Land Cruisers (CLC) is the CO Springs club. They have a forum through the TLCA and Ih8mud. Here's the link:

http://forum.ih8mud.com/co-colorado-land-cruisers/

Just a note, if you're driving from the Springs, it will take you about 2 hours to get to the meeting spot in Conifer if you drive I-25 to 470 to 285. If you have a HAM/CB in your rig, we'll be on Simplex 146.460 and CB channel 4. I'll also monitor the Denver and Breck CCR's. See you Saturday.

FJBRADY
09-21-2009, 09:09 AM

Since Sat. is an early start, if you want you can spend the night at my place....I live in Highlands Ranch. Michele and I have the room since my kids are with their mom this week. PM me if this is something you would like to do.

MDH33
09-21-2009, 09:41 AM
Just a note to everyone: It's snowing up here in Evergreen right now and yesterday as I drove through Fairplay and Jefferson, all the mountains were topped with snow as well. It could be a wet, cold, snowy day, so bring the appropriate gear. The trails we will be on are fairly high elevation and exposed in some places. Hopefully things will change by the end of the week and we'll have a nice, clear, sunny day, but be prepared. :thumb:

Jacket
09-21-2009, 09:48 AM
Should we put the moderators on high alert to change the thread title to "40's Only Snow Run"? :)

MDH33
09-21-2009, 10:01 AM
I am coming with my buddy Kirk's blue FJ40...

That's a good friend to let You drive his rig on the trail. :D

Have you ever driven a 40 before?? :bolt:

Jacket
09-21-2009, 12:19 PM
If anyone has a spare HT 2 meter radio that I could borrow on Saturday for the run, I'd appreciate it. http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/smileys/tinfoilhat2.gif

Uncle Ben
09-21-2009, 12:21 PM
If anyone has a spare HT 2 meter radio that I could borrow on Saturday for the run, I'd appreciate it. http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/smileys/tinfoilhat2.gif

Matt,
You are welcome to use my VX-7 if ya want.

Jacket
09-21-2009, 12:59 PM
Thanks UB. I guess that means WR won't be making an appearance this year?

I'll be in touch.

TIMZTOY
09-21-2009, 02:16 PM
Damn stright

Should we put the moderators on high alert to change the thread title to "40's Only Snow Run"? :)

MDH33
09-21-2009, 07:19 PM

Damn stright

Well, I have about 6 inches of heavy wet snow in my yard and on the trees right now, so it may be a snow run. I imagine a lot more at higher elevation. But who can say, this IS Colorado. It might be 80 and sunny Saturday. ;)

ttubb
09-21-2009, 07:43 PM
Well, I have about 6 inches of heavy wet snow in my yard and on the trees right now, so it may be a snow run. I imagine a lot more at higher elevation. But who can say, this IS Colorado. It might be 80 and sunny Saturday. ;)

Forecast is for mid 70s and sunny on Sat. T:beer:

bh4rnnr
09-21-2009, 10:44 PM
So any of you central folk have an open seat to and from the trailhead and mind if I tag along?

AFA FJ40
09-22-2009, 01:04 AM
I believe Colorado Land Cruisers (CLC) is the CO Springs club. They have a forum through the TLCA and Ih8mud. Here's the link:

http://forum.ih8mud.com/co-colorado-land-cruisers/

Just a note, if you're driving from the Springs, it will take you about 2 hours to get to the meeting spot in Conifer if you drive I-25 to 470 to 285. If you have a HAM/CB in your rig, we'll be on Simplex 146.460 and CB channel 4. I'll also monitor the Denver and Breck CCR's. See you Saturday.

Thanks! I just found this out myself also, I went to google and looked at the "cached" version and followed the forum link...there I found out, the credit card they use to pay the monthly bill for the web page to be displayed ...expired :(. But as you mentioned I the forum is still active...I will try and post some questions...

I will put the radio on 146.460, might have to go with the HT, the 40 is not setup for an external antenna yet (might be able to make a bracket and mount the 1/4 wave to the HT, give it a little more kick)., was gona put the "Outbacker" on it and maybe get some HF out of it also...but time is getting short....thanks for the info...:cheers:

AFA FJ40
09-22-2009, 01:11 AM
Since Sat. is an early start, if you want you can spend the night at my place....I live in Highlands Ranch. Michele and I have the room since my kids are with their mom this week. PM me if this is something you would like to do.

Thanks, we (wife and I) will probably get an early start and get there without much problems, at the house here we can get the last minute stuff packed in the 40...I'm sure we will take you up on the offer next time when we find out how long the ride really is...:lmao:

Hope the weather keeps up...would not want to pack the chains in the 40 also....:eek:...or should I?????

AFA FJ40
09-22-2009, 01:23 AM
Do we have a # of all the Hams on the trip?
Having a list before the trip always helps, I'm not to good at keeping calls in my head...just my :twocents:

RicardoJM
09-22-2009, 07:59 AM
Do we have a # of all the Hams on the trip?
Having a list before the trip always helps, I'm not to good at keeping calls in my head...just my :twocents:

A quick run through the list from a couple of pages back in the thread, so it may not be complete.

Martin (MDH33)- KD0GWM
Ricardo (RicardoJM)- KD0CAW
Matt (Hulk) - W0RDY
Ken (Kenon698) - KDGWP
Chris (Chris sandstorm FJ)- KD0IFE
Timm (timmbuck2)- KDTIM
Marco (Rover67)- KDGWX
Terry (ttubb) - KA7TLT
Rui (AFA FJ40) - N7RKS

rover67
09-22-2009, 08:39 AM
Can somebody bring a car charger for a VX-7R?

Matt, if you get UB's stuff, I think he has one....

Uncle Ben
09-22-2009, 08:56 AM

"he" does!

theRash
09-22-2009, 09:16 AM
I am planning on going.

It depends on how quickly I can get my cruiser to idle. Should be taken care of in the next day or two. Either way I think I have time to get it all handled.

I'm in. Got my cruiser to idle. (Thanks to Dmaddox) Nothing that a FJ60 coil, dizzy (had a points dizzy in it), carb, and fuel pump can't fix. Now I'm getting a muffler put on it so I don't inhale exhaust as I drive and I'm golden.

corsair23
09-22-2009, 11:16 AM

Marco,

Just remember you can't transmit while it is plugged in...You can receive, but not transmit, or so the directions say as I've never actually tried it.

That said, a fully charged battery in a VX-7R will last ~2 days with typical transmitting...I charged mine before the GTR, used it on the drive down for 4+ hours including chats with you, used it all day on Saturday, and then most of Sunday. It finally died somewhere between Johnson Village and Bailey on the drive home.

Uncle Ben
09-22-2009, 11:20 AM
Marco,

Just remember you can't transmit while it is plugged in...You can receive, but not transmit, or so the directions say as I've never actually tried it.

That said, a fully charged battery in a VX-7R will last ~2 days with typical transmitting...I charged mine before the GTR, used it on the drive down for 4+ hours including chats with you, used it all day on Saturday, and then most of Sunday. It finally died somewhere between Johnson Village and Bailey on the drive home.

I'm glad I haven't read the instructions! I often have it plugged in if using it in the vehicle and it transmits just fine!

corsair23
09-22-2009, 11:45 AM
I'm glad I haven't read the instructions! I often have it plugged in if using it in the vehicle and it transmits just fine!

:lmao: - Good to know!!

rover67
09-22-2009, 12:05 PM
Yeah, we have transmitted with it plugged in too! It got hot though....

I just totally spaced and realized I had a charger at home.. i'll just charge it up there. I was worried because Art had my car charger from the GTR and for some reason I thought I couldn't charge it without it!

I'll just use the wall wart for it.. again, for some reason I forgot I had it.

jettaglxdriver
09-22-2009, 03:16 PM
I'd be interested in riding along with someone if there is room and someone is looking for a passenger.

FJ40zen
09-22-2009, 06:33 PM
Hey Martin,

I will be out on this run due to a blown headgasket a couple weeks ago. I thought I could get everything together, but I need to take time on this repair to do it right so I can make it to the RS snow run & pizza later on (if you are having it again)...

Head is at the machine shop, OEM Gasket set in my hands and rings need to be ordered.

Looks like Paul and Julie posted up back on page 9 (toplessfj) of this thread and will be joining you in their white 40 at least. :D Hope you all have a good time!

AFA FJ40
09-22-2009, 10:24 PM
A quick run through the list from a couple of pages back in the thread, so it may not be complete.

Martin (MDH33)- KD0GWM
Ricardo (RicardoJM)- KD0CAW
Matt (Hulk) - W0RDY
Ken (Kenon698) - KDGWP
Chris (Chris sandstorm FJ)- KD0IFE
Timm (timmbuck2)- KDTIM
Marco (Rover67)- KDGWX
Terry (ttubb) - KA7TLT
Rui (AFA FJ40) - N7RKS

Great,
Just a cut/paste and print...and one less thing to take care of...thanks a bunch.

Caribou Sandstorm
09-22-2009, 11:11 PM
Looks like I am out, story of my off-road life this summer...

Forgot about the Van Morrison concert and gotta be around on Saturday..

I need my own 40 anyway, gonna have to do something about that soon.

MDH33
09-22-2009, 11:32 PM
Hey Martin,

I will be out on this run due to a blown headgasket a couple weeks ago. I thought I could get everything together, but I need to take time on this repair to do it right so I can make it to the RS snow run & pizza later on (if you are having it again)...

Head is at the machine shop, OEM Gasket set in my hands and rings need to be ordered.

Looks like Paul and Julie posted up back on page 9 (toplessfj) of this thread and will be joining you in their white 40 at least. :D Hope you all have a good time!

Looks like I am out, story of my off-road life this summer...

Forgot about the Van Morrison concert and gotta be around on Saturday..

I need my own 40 anyway, gonna have to do something about that soon.

Next year! :thumb:

timmbuck2
09-23-2009, 01:33 AM
I don't have a HAM in my 40 right now...

treerootCO
09-23-2009, 09:28 AM
I am going....KDGWY:thumb:

MDH33
09-23-2009, 10:15 AM
I am going....KDGWY:thumb:

Great to hear you can make it, Mike. :) Will you be trailering your 40? If so, we could meet you in Jefferson if you didn't want to drive it from Conifer to the trails.

treerootCO
09-23-2009, 10:24 AM
Great to hear you can make it, Mike. :) Will you be trailering your 40? If so, we could meet you in Jefferson if you didn't want to drive it from Conifer to the trails.

I went up to Jenny Creek last Sunday and my 468,000 mile 2F is tired. First time she couldn't make it up the hill in 1st gear. I ran out of power... I will probably drive it instead of trailering her in the spirit of the 40 only run though ;)

MDH33
09-24-2009, 10:13 AM
This Weekend! :headbang:

Saturday September 26. Meet at 8:30 (we roll at 9:00) in the Staples/Checkers/Margaritas parking lot in Conifer/Aspen Park off 285. This is a little further up the road past the King Soopers area. The Exit is right when you see the Bradley/Sinclair gas station which is on the right if you're driving West up the hill.

I'll be monitoring 146.460 and the CCR repeaters if you have HAM, or channel 4 if you have CB. (hopefully you all have one or the other or both).

Right now the plan is to go up Georgia Pass, down the South Fork of the Swan, then a loop on the North and Middle Forks. We'll head over to breck, then return to 285 over Boreas Pass. I have no idea how much snow there will be, but if it's deep, we likely won't be able to loop the North and Middle forks, which means we can head over to Montezuma and I-70 via the Saints John trail, or retrace our steps back to Tiger road. We'll play it as we see it. The weather is supposed to be nice, but it will be cold up there, so bring appropriate gear. It could be a long day with so many rigs, so bring food, water, etc.

ttubb
09-25-2009, 07:55 AM
This Weekend! :headbang:

Saturday September 26. Meet at 8:30 (we roll at 9:00) in the Staples/Checkers/Margaritas parking lot in Conifer/Aspen Park off 285. This is a little further up the road past the King Soopers area. The Exit is right when you see the Bradley/Sinclair gas station which is on the right if you're driving West up the hill.

I'll be monitoring 146.460 and the CCR repeaters if you have HAM, or channel 4 if you have CB. (hopefully you all have one or the other or both).

Right now the plan is to go up Georgia Pass, down the South Fork of the Swan, then a loop on the North and Middle Forks. We'll head over to breck, then return to 285 over Boreas Pass. I have no idea how much snow there will be, but if it's deep, we likely won't be able to loop the North and Middle forks, which means we can head over to Montezuma and I-70 via the Saints John trail, or retrace our steps back to Tiger road. We'll play it as we see it. The weather is supposed to be nice, but it will be cold up there, so bring appropriate gear. It could be a long day with so many rigs, so bring food, water, etc.

Martin, I will plan on meeting the group at Jefferson about 9:30. I will be monitoring 146.46 and Ch 4. See you then. Terry

RicardoJM
09-25-2009, 08:00 AM
Both boys have obligations tomorrow that prevent them from joining me on the run. I have an open seat available. There were a couple of folks looking to ride along, but I've lost track of who. Let me know if you want to ride along.

treerootCO
09-25-2009, 08:14 AM
Ok, now I am not going....have to work :(

mtncrsr
09-25-2009, 08:31 AM
I might be able to make it. I have a meeting that will go late tonight so I am not sure if I can get everything together in time.

rover67
09-25-2009, 08:56 AM
Damn Mike, that sucks... I was looking forward to getting more lessons on what the 82 is supposed to look like!

Jacket
09-25-2009, 08:58 AM
Looking forward to it. I'll pack my tele skis just in case.;)

MDH33
09-25-2009, 09:15 AM
Martin, I will plan on meeting the group at Jefferson about 9:30. I will be monitoring 146.46 and Ch 4. See you then. Terry

Sounds good Terry. We'll be going North on the Michigan Creek Rd in Jefferson.

Ok, now I am not going....have to work :(

Bummer dude. :( But next year we'll be doing a more difficult trail. ;) :thumb:

I might be able to make it. I have a meeting that will go late tonight so I am not sure if I can get everything together in time.

Right on Loren, hope to see you there.

timmbuck2
09-25-2009, 09:54 AM
Took a little shakedown run last night and everything looks good. Even the heater works. :) And somehow replacing one of the dash lights so I can see the speedometer fixed the turn signal issue. Hmmm....

I will want to bug out earlier than most...need to get the boy back home for nap and spend some time with the other little guy before they head out. I was thinking right after lunch or so. Hope that is cool. Tim is meeting us there in his truck, he might want to ride with someone else after I leave.

timmbuck2
09-25-2009, 09:56 AM
Both boys have obligations tomorrow that prevent them from joining me on the run. I have an open seat available. There were a couple of folks looking to ride along, but I've lost track of who. Let me know if you want to ride along.

Hmm......nice *black and white* picture on your avatar Ricardo.......

nakman
09-25-2009, 10:53 AM
Hmm......nice *black and white* picture on your avatar Ricardo.......

yeah truck sure seems shiny too. :rolleyes:

treerootCO
09-25-2009, 01:06 PM
Thought I might offer up my truck for any 80 owners and maybe mini truck owners that want to go. It burns a little oil but other than that, she's cherry.

http://www.root45.com/upload/Bio/CM06.jpg

bh4rnnr
09-25-2009, 07:22 PM
Thought I might offer up my truck for any 80 owners and maybe mini truck owners that want to go. It burns a little oil but other than that, she's cherry.

http://www.root45.com/upload/Bio/CM06.jpg

Youre a gracious man:bowdown:.

Very tempting, but have to pass since I told Martin Id take pictures of the run. Maybe Sean (Cardinal)?

:beer::beer:

TIMZTOY
09-25-2009, 09:31 PM
is anyone planning in camping saturday night ? Mind if I join ya ? I'dike to go campingg after the run but don't want to camp by my lonesome. It's kinds boreing

theRash
09-25-2009, 09:49 PM
Now I am not going, muffler shop still has it and won't be ready until noon. Don't like to drive it stinging my eyes and lungs with exhaust.
Have fun.

MDH33
09-25-2009, 10:07 PM
I will want to bug out earlier than most...need to get the boy back home for nap and spend some time with the other little guy before they head out. I was thinking right after lunch or so. Hope that is cool. Tim is meeting us there in his truck, he might want to ride with someone else after I leave.

No problem, not sure where we'll be at lunch, but probably not too far in.

Thanks for being so generous Mike. Hope someone takes you up on it.

is anyone planning in camping saturday night ? Mind if I join ya ? I'dike to go campingg after the run but don't want to camp by my lonesome. It's kinds boreing

I was, but plans changed. It's supposed to be a really nice weekend too.

Now I am not going, muffler shop still has it and won't be ready until noon. Don't like to drive it stinging my eyes and lungs with exhaust.
Have fun.

Next year! :thumb:

MDH33
09-25-2009, 10:11 PM
http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/image.php?u=1007&dateline=1253934413

WoaH!! :eek: No more Siberian camo??

I think this is the updated list of those planning to attend:

Martin (MDH33)
Dan (MountainGoat)
Ricardo (RicardoJM)
Steve (FJBrady)
Matt (Jacket)
Matt (Hulk)
Timm (timmbuck2)
Shawn (Cardinal FJ60)
Terry (ttubb)
Dave (Old40Dog)
Jeff (Rzeppa)
Justin (Bruiser)
(LetsRoll)
(066wally)
Marco (Rover67)
Ken (Kenon698)
Paul & Julie (toplessfj)
(AFA FJ40)
Loren (mtncrsr)

Passengers

Perry (bh4rnnr)
Tim (Timztoy)
(jettaglxdriver)

See you all Saturday :zilla:

TIMZTOY
09-25-2009, 11:05 PM
I've got a taco I'll trade ya

MDH33
09-26-2009, 08:17 AM

treerootCO
09-26-2009, 03:30 PM
Trip update...the 40s hit snow and are breaking drifts now.

:insert 80s are better in snow comment here: :lmao:

Looks like they are 3 miles from Deer Creek.

timmbuck2
09-26-2009, 03:44 PM
I made it home safely. Turned around about 12:30, did not want to push Ty or the 40 too much. Was great to see 17 FJ40's all at once!

Uncle Ben
09-26-2009, 08:46 PM
Come awn slackers......put up or shut up!

treerootCO
09-26-2009, 09:07 PM
Come awn slackers......put up or shut up!
Pics from the run:

TIMZTOY
09-26-2009, 09:14 PM
I too am home. Had no problems with the taco. LOL

Uncle Ben
09-26-2009, 09:40 PM
Pics from the run:

You had to work sucker.....you don't know 'nuttin.....do you? :homer:

Kenon698
09-26-2009, 10:19 PM
Thanks Martin for a great run! I am already looking forward to next years run.
Thanks EVERYONE who helped with the fan belts. Great weather and Great people.

Old40Dog
09-26-2009, 10:28 PM
Thanks for everything Martin! Special thanks to Ricardo and expecially Tim for the vacuum line repair. Worked great!

Great day everyone, lots of fun...:blah: Nice relaxed pace! Great for us old guys :rolleyes:

Home, shower and now a :beer: or three

RicardoJM
09-26-2009, 10:30 PM
I'm home as well, had to watch the Rockies game. I'll post up on the trip report in the morning. Martin, thanks so much for putting this together. Everyone I spoke with had a very good time today. :D

bh4rnnr
09-26-2009, 11:42 PM
Fun day, great trail weather and people. Thanks all:cool:. And thanks to Matt, Martin and Jacket for the rides:thumb:.

Kinda wishing I was back up there, downtown is just packed....

subzali
09-27-2009, 12:12 AM
you guys suck - five or six posts, a couple hours, and no (detailed) pictures or full writeup? WTF mate!?!?!?!?

Bruiser
09-27-2009, 01:08 AM
I made it home too, barely. The 40 ran hot all the way home and certainly seemed to lack some power that it had before. I hope nothing is toast in the guts but we'll see. Cross your fingers. If I don't drive it to the October meeting, you will know why.

Thanks trip everyone. It was a great time. Time to sleep now, I've earned it tonight.

subzali
09-27-2009, 01:53 AM
so what's the story with the paint on Ricardo's truck? I've been gone for 2 weeks...

How did Jacket's 40 do with the shifting and all?

:rant:

Jacket
09-27-2009, 09:28 AM
you guys suck - five or six posts, a couple hours, and no (detailed) pictures or full writeup? WTF mate!?!?!?!?

Back atcha buddy! Write-up and pics from the honeymoon? ;)

so what's the story with the paint on Ricardo's truck? I've been gone for 2 weeks...

How did Jacket's 40 do with the shifting and all?

:rant:

I'll let Bluebell answer the first question, but mine shifted like a dream on the trails - never popped out of gear, never got stuck in or out of gear. I'm very pleased.

TIMZTOY
09-27-2009, 11:17 AM
I thought we decided on the "more manly name" blueballs. LOL.

timmbuck2
09-27-2009, 11:38 AM
hmm...I posted up pics last night but now my post is gone????

MDH33
09-27-2009, 11:41 AM
hmm...I posted up pics last night but now my post is gone????

I saw them in the Trip Report. Thanks for posting them up and sorry I didn't get a chance to say hi and check out your new rig before you guys had to go. :beer: