PDA

View Full Version : Oil galley plug - 1980 2F

SteveH
09-01-2009, 09:56 AM
Does anyone know the tap size for fixing the oil galley issue on a 1980 2F engine?

This is the oil passage between the #4 and 5 cyls on later 2Fs that has a plug that can leak or fall out (mine is leaking and the engine has been rebuilt). I presume you drill the hole to the correct dia., then tap it and install a straight or NPT plug, right?

Thanks for any info you can provide!

Steve

subzali
09-01-2009, 09:59 AM
there's info on MUD...

http://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/306382-no-oil-pressure-oil-all-over-freakin-place.html

Inukshuk
09-01-2009, 10:09 AM
8MM and yes. When I did mine I coated the threads in JB weld.

60wag
09-01-2009, 10:25 AM
I think I did mine with 1/8" NPT.

SteveH
09-01-2009, 12:10 PM
Thanks everyone - great info. My 'plug' looks like wadded up foil, hammered flat, and it's weeping ever so slightly. Time to get right on this. It looks like the rebuilder used whatever he found on his workbench.

subzali
09-01-2009, 01:00 PM
once it starts weeping it's only a matter of time before it lets go completely - then in about 2 minutes time you will no longer have any oil in your engine :(

FWIW when I had my head rebuilt at Gunn Automotive they replaced my plug with an NPT threaded plug without me even asking them to do it and without charging me - great guys and they knew exactly what they were doing! :thumb:

PabloCruise
09-01-2009, 06:19 PM
Thanks everyone - great info. My 'plug' looks like wadded up foil, hammered flat, and it's weeping ever so slightly. Time to get right on this. It looks like the rebuilder used whatever he found on his workbench.

"While My 2F Gently Weeps"

Rare B-side on a Beatles 45... :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

ElliottB
09-01-2009, 07:12 PM
FWIW when I had my head rebuilt at Gunn Automotive they replaced my plug with an NPT threaded plug without me even asking them to do it and without charging me - great guys and they knew exactly what they were doing! :thumb:

x2 on that! I specifically asked for it but they only charged me $20 or so. They are great guys to deal with.

Air Randy
09-01-2009, 09:23 PM
x2 on that! I specifically asked for it but they only charged me $20 or so. They are great guys to deal with.

Well, you and Subzali are quite welcome. I showed the plug to Mr. Gunn and provided him with the written explanation from MUD of why you tap that out when they rebuilt my head last year. They seem to do it routinely now on all F/2F heads. And they are great folks. I just hope Mr. Gunn doesn't decide to retire too soon.

subzali
09-02-2009, 08:19 AM
Um, I had my head rebuilt in Feb/March of 2007...

MDH33
09-02-2009, 09:01 AM
Anyone have Gunn rebuild a 2F short block? Curious what it might cost.

Air Randy
09-02-2009, 12:39 PM
Strange, Mr. Gunn acted like he had never heard of it before when I brought up the topic of replacing the press in plug with a tapped unit.

For a master rebuild parts set (pistons, rings, bearings, freeze plugs, oil pump, cam, lifters, timing gears, all seals and gaskets) plus all of the labor for the machine work (cylinder boring, over boring the rods, decking the block, full head rebuild, etc), it was $1500 from Gunn in May. The new cam and lifters (stock) were $400 so I had those items deleted and only paid $1100. I bought an after market RV cam instead.

They don't do assembly so you have to put it all back together

subzali
09-02-2009, 01:03 PM
did you have it balanced too?

Rzeppa
09-03-2009, 11:31 PM
I have always read that 1/8 NPT was the way to go on this.

SteveH
09-04-2009, 09:39 AM
I did my galley plug last night. Borrowed a right-angle Milwaukee drill from a neighbor, and drilled out the soft plug with a 7/32" bit. Then drilled out the hole with a greased 1/4" drill bit. At this point, I started the truck and let it dribble some oil out the hole to clear the metal bits. Then, I tapped it clear to the bottom of the hole with a greased 5/16 x18 tap.

With a mirror, you could see the head bolt at the back of the hole. I then started the truck again and let it flush with more oil. I took an headless hex (allen-head) screw, covered it with JB weld, and threaded it completely to the bottom of the hole. No leaks so far. See attached - look in the center of the photo. Thanks for all your advice and links on this!

And since most of you haven't seen my 'derelict body with a heart of gold' 1980 FJ, here's a photo of that, too. It was mustard yellow, and some clown painted it silver, top to bottom, inside and out. It WILL return to Mustard. Rebuilt 2F with headers, full emission controls, runs great. Bought it from a used-car lot. 100K miles, and the factory chrome package (yuck).

ElliottB
09-05-2009, 06:57 PM
That looks pretty much like mine.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a349/Puma297/CruiserMot/_MG_7795.jpg

Hulk
09-08-2009, 10:28 AM
Cool truck. Factory chrome = chrome square bezel? Never seen one.

SteveH
09-08-2009, 10:30 AM
Chrome bezel, running boards, and rear bumperettes. Every evidence of being 'factory'. I believe it should have had a chrome front bumper, but it has an 8274 and a fairly tasteful winch bumper on it.