View Full Version : Help! LX450 from Sheridan to Aurora with bad 1FZE

09-01-2009, 07:16 PM
My dad lives in Big Horn, Wyoming just south of Sheridan. His 1FZE has a knock in the lower portion of the engine. Toyota says he needs a new long block and quoted him a price higher than the whole vehicle is worth. Anyway, I began looking for an engine for him and ended up giving IRBIS a call and it sounds like that is the direction that makes the most sense for him to go. Oleg thinks he can drive it down to Aurora. It is 428 miles door to door according to Mapquest. This would be a little risky and my dad well he's not overly mechanical and I don't want him getting stuck on the side of the road. Is there anyone with a trailer who might be willing to take a road trip to fetch it for him? There would be compensation of course. His primary problem is that he's in the middle of no where. The chance of him catching a commercial outfit to haul it would be pretty slim I think.

My other idea was to chat with Robbie about a mobile install but doing a mobile install on an engine probably isn't something he would want to do. I did PM him just in case it was.

He's too far from me to get to and haul it down there for him and get back in just one weekend. And it would cost me a ton of money as I'd be looking at about 3k mile round trip.

Or anyone have any other ideas?

Oh and about the truck 97 LX450 with the original head gasket. No coolant leaks. Plenty of oil. It does have a minor rear main leak. Not even enough to put drops on the pavement though. 168k miles. It got hot while he was towing in the mountains and then started knocking. No previous overheating problems. This does not sound right to me as I've run mine to 240k and then sold them and they are both still going.

Eric V.

09-01-2009, 07:44 PM
AAA is only $100 or so... It will get you towed up to 100 miles a day...

Worth every penny...

09-01-2009, 10:27 PM

I met your Dad at BHCC and he told me all about the Pig you guys used to have when you were growing up.

I have no trailer, but if your Dad decides to drive down, I am in Fort Collins and will help out however I can...

09-01-2009, 10:29 PM
AAA is only $100 or so... It will get you towed up to 100 miles a day...

Worth every penny...

x2. They towed the Pig the full 100 miles in 2008 and then 20 or so miles in 2009. These days it doesn;t even matter how far they tow you to break even. Mobilization/fee to hook is getting high...

09-01-2009, 11:09 PM
My dad lives in Big Horn, Wyoming just south of Sheridan. His 1FZE has a knock in the lower portion of the engine.... Oleg thinks he can drive it down to Aurora. It is 428 miles door to door according to Mapquest.

Take a bunch of 2-lane roads and don't drive over 40 mph. Slow, but cheap. Also, good road trip potential. You could go with him on the trip down (one 12-hour day of driving), then fly back for a $100 plane ticket.

09-01-2009, 11:36 PM
I can't go and get him but you are more than welcome to my trailer. I won't need it till 9/10 so let me know.

Ron Helmuth
09-04-2009, 03:06 PM
glad to help sheep-herd him down to Oleg's at slow speed crawl. Perhaps he could just go 100 miles stop- do 100 next day and so on. Glad to help with a leg or two.

I run up that way frequently and would be glad to assist-run interference. Weekday not a problem with enough advance notice.

I am presuming the vehicle is too heavy or not able to be flat towed- and my Runner is not volunteering for that.

If it can be flat towed (disable a driveshaft?) then you just need a big-a$$ truck right?

I have access to dually diesel but no experience in this kind of heavy haul.

09-04-2009, 03:18 PM
He has it handled at this time. Thanks for all the suggestion for Eric Dad!

09-05-2009, 09:07 AM
Thanks for all the help.

He's decided to let it sit for now and is looking at new 4 door Tacomas. This has been a tough decision for him as he has loved his Land Cruisers. At his age and mechanical ability it makes sense for him to buy something new. And the new LCs are way out of reach. Buying a used 100 doesn't do him much good as he can't work on it himself and he has nobody local other than the dealer to work on it. So that makes having a used rig pretty expensive.

He doesn't know what to do with the LX. Investing 4k in putting a new motor in a truck worth 7k doesn't seem to make sense. Labor, Head Gasket (may as well), Used motor, new fluids and transportation to the Denver area add up to about 4k. And then he could need a new radiator or something else that would add to the expense. With all that said I think he is still thinking about fixing it. The timing for doing it right now is all wrong for him though.

He thought for awhile he should part it out. This would be a terrible idea for him. He already had a back surgery last year and his body just won't take it. Plus he's in the middle of nowhere for getting decent shipping rates. Selling it whole broke might be an option? Or waiting for a deal on a used motor might be another option? He's pretty bummed as we just installed OME lift springs, an ARB bullbar, a dual swingout rear bumper, sliders, and he bought new tires (of course he bought 32s :) ) all this year. So he made a big investment in it this year as he planned on driving it another 3-4 years.

FWIW he found a guy willing to pick it up and deliver it to Aurora for $400 and to Boulder for $450. He hauls cars from Billings, MT to Denver every week. My folks place is right on his way.

Robbie was super helpful. He really helped my folks out a lot. He really tried to help him get it back on the road ASAP. I really appreciate that. I just hope my dad didn't drive him nuts. He gets a little neurotic when it comes to making vehicle decisions. My cell phone battery has died every day this week. I appreciate his patience with them and his sound advice.

You guys are great! But I knew that already.

Thanks for all the help!