PDA

View Full Version : Super Charger install -- what do I need to know?

Hulk
09-01-2009, 11:14 PM
A few months ago, I purchased a wrecked 1996 FZJ80 with a SC. Since purchasing the vehicle, it has sat in my garage collecting dust. That's about to change.

I've been reading up a bit on the super charger install and it look reasonably straightforward. However, I'm wondering if there are any items that I should be aware of, especially since I will be removing a used supercharger and installing it on my daily driver 80.

Rock Dog
09-01-2009, 11:52 PM
Let me know if you need to look at mine for reference!! and don't forget to get an extra SC belt to carry with you.. they take awhile to come by even at the dealer... Can't wait to see it up and running!!! mine also growls at idle, but works awsome...

Uncle Ben
09-02-2009, 08:16 AM
Matt, I have the TRD install instructions that came with mine if you want to use them for a referance. Pretty straight forward install. The only thing that might slow you down a tad is if the MAF wires are too short and you have to lengthen them. Great time to wrap the wire bundle with thermal wrap where it passes by the EGR too!

Crash
09-02-2009, 01:07 PM
Just this morning I had Scott at AA Performance Muffler on S. Broadway install a 2.5" cat back exhaust. Matt, that might be something you have to look for in the future as the stock system seems pretty restrictive with the SC addition. I think UB and Romer went with 3" systems but my truck probably will never be lifted so room over the frame rail, where the exhaust loops over, was a limiting factor in pipe diameter. At least that is what Scott told me. You will like the motor with boost.

treerootCO
09-02-2009, 02:40 PM
Pretty sure UB doesn't have a body lift....not that there is anything wrong with that....

Uncle Ben
09-02-2009, 03:52 PM
Just this morning I had Scott at AA Performance Muffler on S. Broadway install a 2.5" cat back exhaust. Matt, that might be something you have to look for in the future as the stock system seems pretty restrictive with the SC addition. I think UB and Romer went with 3" systems but my truck probably will never be lifted so room over the frame rail, where the exhaust loops over, was a limiting factor in pipe diameter. At least that is what Scott told me. You will like the motor with boost.

Root is correct, I do not have a body lift but I have a true 3" mandrel bent exhaust system that does fit over the frame rail. "Bud knows!" ;):thumb::thumb:

Shark Bait
09-02-2009, 05:21 PM
A few months ago, I purchased a wrecked 1996 FZJ80 with a SC. Since purchasing the vehicle, it has sat in my garage collecting dust. That's about to change.

I've been reading up a bit on the super charger install and it look reasonably straightforward. However, I'm wondering if there are any items that I should be aware of, especially since I will be removing a used supercharger and installing it on my daily driver 80.

Just give it to me, I'll take care of the rest. :bolt::D

powderpig
09-02-2009, 06:01 PM
I only cut the power wires(I think red/yellow, there are 2 of them in this bundle to the Idle air control). I do not cut the rest of the wires as they will move back in the bundle to provide enough room to get to where the throttle body is. Both sets of wires(TPS and IAC harness can be moved to above the egr pipe).
If you have a dual battery system and have moved the resisvor for the wiper fluid, you may need to get this out of the way for the install to work.
You may need to replace vacuum hoses, the orginal ones are not that great. Same with some of the other hose.
Did this Supercharger come with the blue hoses or the old black with green stripe? Older ones were a pain to work with, goodluck with this.
Unhook the battery when doing this job, as it will wipe the memory out and allow the computer to relearn this new thing you have attached to the engine.
You will need a big torque wrench to tighten the crank bolt down, it takes 305 ftlbs of torque. You can use a short 1/2 extension that is about 6 inches long as a brace to tighten the bolt. This will be placed at the back of the engine through the inspection plate, between the oil pan and the flex plate. IHMUD has some info on this and pic's.

I would replace the spark plugs with iridium spark plugs.
This is what my memory serves me at this time. Good luck with the project

Crash
09-02-2009, 06:34 PM
Root is correct, I do not have a body lift but I have a true 3" mandrel bent exhaust system that does fit over the frame rail. "Bud knows!" ;):thumb::thumb:

Okay, I'm ignorant, but especially so when it comes to FZJs. I was thinking that spring lift raised the body but now that I spend two seconds thinking about it, I see the error of my ways. Maybe the reason the AA Performance estimate was $200 cheaper than Bud's was because mandrel bends weren't used?

Uncle Ben
09-02-2009, 10:34 PM
Okay, I'm ignorant, but especially so when it comes to FZJs. I was thinking that spring lift raised the body but now that I spend two seconds thinking about it, I see the error of my ways. Maybe the reason the AA Performance estimate was $200 cheaper than Bud's was because mandrel bends weren't used?

Most likely. Took 1.5 guys all day to do mine which was unexpected as I waited. :rolleyes:

subzali
09-03-2009, 08:54 AM
Was the 1/2 guy the upper half or the lower half? :D

Uncle Ben
09-03-2009, 08:56 AM
Was the 1/2 guy the upper half or the lower half? :D

Hard to tell!

AxleIke
09-03-2009, 10:43 AM
"Bud knows!" ;):thumb::thumb:

No joke. If you want to see how much, come check mine out sometime.

Literally a work of art, and worth every penny.

Hulk
09-03-2009, 05:33 PM
For those who have done this, how do you remove the crank bolt? I hear there are two methods:

1. The 3/4" breaker bar up against the frame rail and bump the starter.
2. Chain wrench around the pulley against the fram rail and a very large wrench.

Uncle Ben
09-03-2009, 05:46 PM
For those who have done this, how do you remove the crank bolt? I hear there are two methods:

2. Chain wrench around the pulley against the fram rail and a very large wrench.

The breaker bar against the frame is easy and quick! Something that you can do now is try to get the two threaded plugs out of the head that hold the tag on. Mine were a be-atch on the first head but piece of cake on the head I ported later. I also ran into a small issue on the threaded holes on my crank pulley. Mine were not tapped deep enough so the new bolts that hold the Chrager pulley on bottomed out before they were tight! I ran a tap through them and then they were perfect.

corsair23
09-03-2009, 05:57 PM
I got no help for you other than a HUGE :thumb:s up for taking this on yourself - I still want to drive the SC truck but I can wait until you get the swap done now :D

Hulk
09-03-2009, 07:05 PM
Come over and drive it now -- pretty fun. I haven't had it out of the garage since I parked it in there. I couldn't get the battery to get enough of a charge to start the engine. Must be toast. It has to be jump started.

Hulk
09-03-2009, 09:06 PM
Cruiser Dan sent me the TRD installation instructions. Here they are, in case anyone else wants them in the future.

FZJ80_4.5_blowerT-AI-0388-D.pdf (http://rustybrain.com/cruisers/FZJ80/FZJ80_4.5_blowerT-AI-0388-D.pdf) PDF, 3.5 MB

RicardoJM
09-03-2009, 09:50 PM

3. TreeRoot approach (http://forum.ih8mud.com/225955-post11.html) worked great for me:thumb:

Hulk
09-03-2009, 11:09 PM
Tiedown = ratchet strap?

RicardoJM
09-04-2009, 07:46 AM
Tiedown = ratchet strap?

You know the 1" wide strap with a hook coupled with a ratchet to tighten things up. You can get it at Ace (http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1297464&kw=strap&origkw=strap&searchId=40996378003), Walmart, Harbor Freight for a few bucks - or likely already have it in the garage. You're welcome to borrow mine any time.