PDA

View Full Version : Alignment Spec - FJ60 35's

rover67
09-02-2009, 09:51 AM
Hello All,

I thought I'd throw this out there since I am going to get the truck aligned professionally today... well if you can call a toe adjustment an alignment.

I just got done with the front axle rebuild and Hi Steer Install.

So, the truck is an Spring under FJ60 with 35's, Hi Steer, OME Heavies, and long shackles on it, and not a lot of Camber. The camber is not changing (already have the diff shimmed where I want it, and it tracked OK with the original alignment), but I want them to set the toe right.

So.. What should the toe be set at? I am sure they will look up the factory specs for an '85 FJ60 and set it at that, but I couldn't find the spec in the manual (looked for a while, but couldn't find it) so I don''t know what it is. I am also curious if the toe should be any different that factory since the truck is now obviuosly not factory.

I have zero experience with alignments on trucks like this and was just wondering if the toe needed to be different ot compensate or "help" with the bigger tires/lift.

Thanks!
Marco

Beater
09-02-2009, 09:56 AM
Tire's have no effect on allignment, as it is measured at the rim, as long as tire pressure is uniform.

Bikeman
09-02-2009, 10:16 AM
I think you are meaning caster and not camber. Camber is when your tires are like this: / \. Lift shackles will add caster, and shims under the spring perches bring it back down. My lifted Super Duty with lift shackles had to use a 2 degree shim under the leaf springs. Generally, trucks with bigger tires like 3-5 degrees of caster. Toe in on most anything is about 1/8", which I set mine to and have had my other vehicles set to whether it was an IFS, Superduty, etc.

rover67
09-02-2009, 10:24 AM
Oops yeah sorry meant caster, that's fixed where I want it. I am pretty used to adjusting camber.. musta slipped out.

Yup, I understand the tire size does not affect the alignment, just wondering if it should be different.

1/8" is where i had it set before on my backyard alignment, maybe that's where it'll stay!

Thanks!

Beater
09-02-2009, 10:40 AM
again, tire wont matter. the lift does effect alignment. a standard shop like a goodyear or firestone won't be your best shot. more like bear frame or something like that, and expect about 2.5 hours of labor on top of the normal alignment price

Chris
09-02-2009, 11:49 AM
Hey Marco, the biggest determination IMHO is how it drives. I never aligned mine after the shackle reversal and 35's and it's fine. As far as randomly picking a place you might run into trouble due to the knowledge of the person doing the work. I've used Big O on Havana in Aurora, the alignment guy wheels and know his stuff.

Oops, forgot to mention that I had the alignment checked before the SR which showed what shims I needed. Not the usual stated by the spring kit which I think was 6 degrees so I used what I was told I needed based on my truck. It's rock solid with 4 degree (I think) and I have no problems at any speed.