PDA

View Full Version : Squeaky Tundra

subzali
09-03-2009, 11:23 AM
I think Marco pinpointed my squeak point on the Tundra. Torsion bar bushings...

What is the best way to lubricate them - oil, grease, silicone lube, jig a loo graphite (http://www.jigaloo.com/us/e_products_graphite-extreme.php)?

They're pretty easy to get to - four bolts and the sway bar drops down....
http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/654409-post10/

AxleIke
09-03-2009, 11:47 AM
I didn't know the Tundra HAD torsion bars! I assumed they were just a beefier CO like the tacos. Learn something new every day!

As for lubing them, I used plain old axle grease. Be sure you measure the rim to fender distance before you mess with them, and after you've put them back in, drive it around the block a few times to settle in everything, then re-measure.

Good plan to purchase new adjusting bolts. If you don't use them, you can take them back, but if you bust one (not sure how much rust you have), its nice to have a replacement right there to put in and get the rig back on the road.

I'd also recommend getting an alignment as well. You may be able to get it back to exactly the same height, but its easy to get something out of whack, and getting the alignment will insure you don't wreck your tires.

Good luck! I've messed with mine a bunch, so let me know if you have any other questions!

DaveInDenver
09-03-2009, 12:32 PM
I didn't know the Tundra HAD torsion bars! I assumed they were just a beefier CO like the tacos. Learn something new every day!
I think he's talking about the sway bar, since our IFS torsion bar springs don't have bushings per say (I also used moly chassis grease when I put mine in). AFAIK the Tundra is coils like the Taco, etc.

Not much to offer on the sway bar, I took mine off years ago and never put it back on. I'd use the same stuff you used on your FJ40 springs or otherwise, no need to over think it.

AxleIke
09-03-2009, 01:09 PM
I assumed he was talking about torsion bars, since he mentions the sway bar as a separate step.

I'm confused now.

DaveInDenver
09-03-2009, 01:14 PM
I assumed he was talking about torsion bars, since he mentions the sway bar as a separate step.

I'm confused now.
I agree, mixing terms I think is confusing the question. I'm fairly certain Matt means the sway bar bushings and I am 99.9995% sure that the Tundra in 2000 would have had coil sprung IFS.

subzali
09-03-2009, 01:18 PM
sorry, I'm the one who is confused :o

I don't know anything about IFS so I don't know all the terminology, but I think Dave is right I mean sway bar. I have coilovers in the front.

I'm just wondering if regular grease is okay since the bushings are rubber - will the rubber deteriorate or get soft with regular grease?

DaveInDenver
09-03-2009, 01:40 PM
I'm just wondering if regular grease is okay since the bushings are rubber - will the rubber deteriorate or get soft with regular grease?
That's why I say use whatever you used on your FJ40 springs, doesn't have to be some super special grease. White lithium, spring bushing grease, silicone grease, whatever. I use this stuff called Super Lube on my suspension mostly because it was the stuff that Northwest Offroad supplied when I put my springs on way back when. Usually about $12 per standard cartridge and I've seen little squeeze tubes for a few bucks of it at Pep Boys and stuff.

Seldom Seen
09-03-2009, 04:04 PM
I've used synthetic-snot, moly grease and white lithium grease, the only thing I found that doesn't wash out in a couple of months is Formula-5 (http://www.energysuspension.com/universal-products/formula-5-prelube-jack-strap-control-arm-bushing-half-sets.html)

ElliottB
09-03-2009, 07:48 PM
Jig-a-loo? :lmao:

corsair23
09-03-2009, 08:41 PM
Jig-a-loo? :lmao:

and synthetic snot....

Gotta love tech :D

subzali
10-25-2010, 01:15 PM
Been crawling under the truck and greased the sway bar bushings with silicone grease...still squeaking. Bad. Think it's the a-arm bushings. Are these hard to get to? Maybe rather than trying to grease them I should just replace them? How come new bushings don't squeak?

Either that or it's the Fabtech coilovers making funny noises. But I can't see what would be doing it.