PDA

View Full Version : Live from Ouray, 2009

nakman
09-04-2009, 09:19 PM
Had a great drive in today, lots of friendly radio chatter, great weather. After a swim at the hot springs everyone is winding down now, Marco's got a fire going at his site. Haven't taken any pictures yet...

DaveInDenver
09-04-2009, 09:26 PM
Jealous!

Groucho
09-04-2009, 09:31 PM
Tim is a dork with a PC. Running through the 4J+1+1 network here and network is smokin...

Looking forward to BlackBear and Imogene tomorrow. Drinking out of a fresh Odells IPA keg, and had trapper50cal bring some fine brew from Durango. Already fixed his CB, convinced him to go HAM, and feeling St Lupulin.

Corbet
09-04-2009, 09:38 PM
Looking forward to BlackBear and Imogene tomorrow. Drinking out of a fresh Odells IPA keg, and had trapper50cal bring some fine brew from Durango. Already fixed his CB, convinced him to go HAM, and feeling St Lupulin.

Keep working on him and I will continue the subliminal HAM messaging when he returns.;)

bh4rnnr
09-04-2009, 09:50 PM
Had a great drive in today, lots of friendly radio chatter, great weather. After a swim at the hot springs everyone is winding down now, Marco's got a fire going at his site. Haven't taken any pictures yet...

Slacker!

Say Hello to Alison, Marco and Mead for me!, oh and get back to enjoying the country you big jerks! Hopefully i'll see you guys tomorrow night...

corsair23
09-04-2009, 11:59 PM
Jealous!

x2 :( - I might have to avoid the forum till Tuesday

At least I know now that my LX will not fit into the garage with a Thule rack and bike carriers on top...That's something right :rolleyes:

FJBRADY
09-05-2009, 06:50 AM
Bruce, 60Wag took me up on the P Gulch run Friday and we had a blast....great run!

Bruce navigating an early section.

Me giving the wall a try.

Not my day....had to winch.

Bruce's first try.

Bruce on his second try.....did he make it?

FJBRADY
09-05-2009, 06:55 AM
......yes Bruce makes it look easy.

Lending a helping hand to these three guys from OK.

Top of P Gulch looking back

Picture from the West side of Corkscrew pass.

DaveInDenver
09-05-2009, 09:17 AM
BTW, I'll have my radio on periodically on the CCR. I dunno if you will be able to reach the Grand Junction machine. Anyway, I'll keep it on in case.

Grand Junction
145.355 MHz
-600 KHz
123.0 Hz

Leadville
145.445 MHz
-600 KHz
123.0 Hz

Rifle
146.985 MHz
-600 KHz
123.0 Hz

Salida
147.285 MHz
+600 KHz
123.0 Hz

FJBRADY
09-07-2009, 07:57 AM
Black Bear on Saturday

FJBRADY
09-07-2009, 07:59 AM
Black Bear and Imogene Pass

DaveInDenver
09-07-2009, 08:08 AM
Pictures. Not. Helping. Jealousy.

Nice.

FJBRADY
09-07-2009, 08:15 AM
A few of us went back to Poughkeepsie Gultch.....totally different trail in the MUD :eek:

FJBRADY
09-07-2009, 08:17 AM
Few more pictures from Sunday.

Uncle Ben
09-07-2009, 08:23 AM
What....no wildflowers? Whew, that helps....now I'm glad I didn't go.....OK I'm lying..:( What is with the lack of water on Bridal Veil Falls?

Trapper50cal
09-07-2009, 10:41 AM
Here's a crude panoramic of our repair stop on Engineer on Sunday...

http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/4356/cheeserepairspotpano.jpgBy trapper50cal (http://profile.imageshack.us/user/trapper50cal) at 2009-09-07

nuclearlemon
09-07-2009, 10:59 AM
What is with the lack of water on Bridal Veil Falls?

apparently it was all on poughkeepsie;)

wesintl
09-07-2009, 06:06 PM
ugh... withdraw is setting in. No hot spring tonight :(

one of these days i'm not coming back to reality. I'll find a way to stay.

Caribou Sandstorm
09-07-2009, 06:58 PM
great pics..Thanks for posting up so soon! Wished we could have joined.

bh4rnnr
09-07-2009, 07:51 PM
Clearly there is not enough pictures for this thread, esp concidering how many vehicles where in attendance (I heard all about it sunday night on the drive home, thanks Ige!!!)

If you dont post up more pictures soon, i'm gonna have to start talking about my weekend fun (Proffitt's new shop, mountain cabin and that oh so sweet 09 LC:blah:)

nakman
09-07-2009, 08:11 PM
wonderful time, great group thanks everyone can't wait for next year, sad to see it all end. Took a bunch of pictures, mostly kids and flowers.. but here are a couple with trucks..

rover67
09-07-2009, 10:00 PM
Allison Mead and I had a great time! Thanks to the Millers for putting it all together and to everybody else that helped out!!

Here are some of the pictures that Allison took that we just ran through and thought would be nice to share. Not a lot of big action shots, just pics of us all having fun :) Some are from the Black Bear run, and the others are from Poughkepsie Gulch. We had fun trying the obstacle but the mud made it really slimey and we all ended up having to winch up it.

Allison and I saw a place selling Doggles on the way to Ouray from Pagosa springs and had to stop.. so a few shots of Mead wearing them. I think we laughed more at the sight of her wearing her doggles than anything else :)

Thanks again, and we'll be back next year!!!

-Allison, Mead, and Marco

1, Meeting up with Mike and Friend at Como Lake
2, Ige somewhere
3, Me Somewhere
4, Matt and Fam rolling up to Imogene pass as Farnham and Friend start to put downhill bikes together for the descent
5, Matt coming down Black Bear

rover67
09-07-2009, 10:05 PM
More Pics.

1, Sam at the top of Imogene saying hello!
2, Allison on the way down Black Bear having fun!
3, Doggles
4, More Doggles
5, Matt and Fam on the way up Imogene

rover67
09-07-2009, 10:09 PM
more pics.

1, Ige giving the Mud salute from the top of Imogene... I think that's Bill and Cheeseman down there..
2, Piggie for sale in Silverton
3, Dave (?) coming up Black Bear pre hub explosion
4, The Group airing down for Black Bear
5, Me Poking Sam in the ear while Matt wiggles up the waterfall on Poughkepsie Gulch. (Sorry Matt... we all winched.. you happened to be the one we got on film.. this pic was kinda funny I thought so I had to show it.)

MDH33
09-08-2009, 07:28 AM
Looks like fun. Sorry I missed you all, I ended up pulling ranger duty all weekend and backpacked rather than wheeled.

Jacket
09-08-2009, 08:03 AM
My wife and I have both commented in the past that after you've ascended enough Colorado passes, they start to look alike in many ways. It's a fortunate luxury those of us who call Colorado home get to test over and over again.

In the case of Black Bear, all those generalities go away - there's nothing else like it! Truly a pleasure to go up and over that pass, and with Telluride in plain site at the bottom, the reward for completing the pass is even more special.

1. A tight switchback on the decent
2. Marco and gang with Telluride starting to show
3. Just go straight, right?
4. Red Chili in the waterfall

Jacket
09-08-2009, 08:12 AM
A small group of 5 ran Poughkeepsie on Sunday. The wet, mud and slick rocks made it more challenging than usual (especially if you were on a two-wheeler). But the weather cleared up just in time for a nice lunch stop near Lake Como.

1. The group winds through the final section before the rock ledge
2. Ige trying to overcome the wet and mud
3. Above the ledge
4. The Brady's enjoy a peaceful lunch above Como.

Jacket
09-08-2009, 08:15 AM
And for those of you involved with the dog rescue on Imogene, here's the happy (and weary) couple reunited, along with the guy in the Jeep that drove the owner back up the pass to pick up the dog. It's hard to believe those two walked over the pass from Ouray to Telluride....

Another successful rescue from the Rising Sun crew. :cheers:

RedCreeper
09-08-2009, 10:03 AM
sniffle sniffle...... got to make next years.

We went to wyoming monday.... can believe folks lived on $15 a month!

Old40Dog
09-08-2009, 10:48 AM
Here are a couple of our pics from Ouray.

1) Black Bear - before the hub explosion!
2) Hub Explosion! (Only I could do this going downhill) Special thanks to Marco and Steve for helping get us back up and running - On to Imogene!
3) What is Bill looking at?
4) Starting up Cinimmon
5) From Cinimmon Pass Trail - Is this God's Country or What?

Already looking forward to next year!

AxleIke
09-08-2009, 11:12 AM
WOW!!!!!

Awesome pics and great reports guys! Thanks so much for sharing!

SOOOOO jealous!

wesintl
09-08-2009, 11:15 AM
Mine are on flickr. You'll have to skip the kid pics for wheelin ones.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10840246@N04/sets/72157622174408599/

Uncle Ben
09-08-2009, 11:44 AM
1) Black Bear - before the hub explosion!
2) Hub Explosion! (Only I could do this going downhill) Special thanks to Marco and Steve for helping get us back up and running - On to Imogene!

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/attachment.php?attachmentid=14559&stc=1&d=1252427342

Warn hub with bolts not studs and cones = fuse!

subzali
09-08-2009, 02:06 PM
Wow! Did someone have a spare or how did you fix it?

Seldom Seen
09-08-2009, 02:49 PM
:)

rover67
09-08-2009, 03:46 PM
Wow! Did someone have a spare or how did you fix it?

It broke right after the waterfall on Black Bear. he was halfway around a three point switchback and I winched him up out of it, then he drove it into Telluride. In town we tried putting one of Bill's spare hubs on it, but the axle stuck out a litle too far, so we took it off. One of the guys from Durango had a spare hub for an earlier 40 in his truck and it fit perfectly. We threw it on and called it a day. Still had a few broken bolts left in the hub, but it was good enough to run!

The Chili-Cheese Trail Welds on the front crossmember are impressive! I was not there for that one, but it sounded like quite an event... It blows me away sometimes what we are able to fix as a club on the trail.

Trapper50cal
09-08-2009, 04:50 PM
Steve Powers (the guy from Durango) so he gets proper props...

Chili-Cheese... :bowdown: Thats friggin HILARIOUS!

edit: and yes, danger IS his middle name...

rover67
09-08-2009, 04:59 PM
STEVE! That's his name! Thanks! Yes, and so he gets a hub back!

corsair23
09-08-2009, 05:18 PM
Marco,

The pics of Mead in the Doggles...Seriously :lmao: :D

Red_Chili
09-08-2009, 05:18 PM
Here are a couple of our pics from Ouray.
3) What is Bill looking at?
Ahem... there is some debate about the source, but seein' as how this here is right close to huntin' season, scat will always get a man's interest. And not a few sharpshootin' wimmen too.

Anyhow, since Farnham is closer to those childrearing years and undoubtedly therefore has superior skills in scatological analysis of all kinds... the world's largest elk dud it is.

Quite fresh too. In case the elk had no antlers, black fur, and looked kinda canine.

Uncle Ben
09-08-2009, 05:19 PM
Chili-Cheese... :bowdown: Thats friggin HILARIOUS!

That would be a Chili-Cheese Fry! :lmao::lmao:

FJBRADY
09-08-2009, 08:24 PM
Michele and I stayed an extra day Monday and ran up Engineer pass, down to Lake City and back via Cinnamon pass.

Picture above Carson ghost town on the way up Cinnamon.

Michele next to the truck on the overlook just before Engineer Pass.

Engineer Pass.

Quick pick at the Cinnamon pass sign.

Animas Forks well preserved building.

Big thanks to the Miller's for putting this event together.....great runs, great company. Look for us next year!

Cheeseman
09-09-2009, 04:46 PM
Great weekend. Big group. All went well.

As for my runner. I was lucky Bill Morgan and I were talking about Pitman arms. He saw the cracks. Actually broken welds. I didn't realize at first how severe they were. So now Bill is pretty good at trail welding frames back together. Glad to allow him the chance to practice.

I still have a spring pin center bolt from that day. Don't know whose it is.

Also could we label all the food at the next banquet. With all the sampling I did I still don't know all I ate. But is was good. As for the beer, well that already has a label.

Thanks to all of you for your friendship to my wife Jill. She has been absent from this group of friends I have for sometime. Other things to take care of in our family. I am glad to have her riding with me again. I know all of you mean alot to her and myself.
________
IOLITE VAPORIZER REVIEW (http://iolitevaporizer.net/)

Trapper50cal
09-09-2009, 05:45 PM
Spare center pin was mine, don't worry about it...I have another

Jethro
09-15-2009, 09:02 AM
My daughter, Kerry has (finally) put her pictures up. They are here:
http://kerensafannon.com/ouray_trip/black_bear/index.html

I'm just a very biased father, but I really like her stuff.
If you want to see more from other trips this year then:
http://kerensafannon.com/triplebypass/index.html
and
http://kerensafannon.com/ghost_town/

rover67
09-15-2009, 09:09 AM
Wow, sweet pictures. And sweet site. I love how fast they load and how I can just thumbwheel through them all.

Tell her thanks a million for posting them all up, really!!!

Really really cool!

corsair23
09-15-2009, 09:45 AM
Wow, sweet pictures. And sweet site. I love how fast they load and how I can just thumbwheel through them all.

Tell her thanks a million for posting them all up, really!!!

Really really cool!

x2 :thumb:

wesintl
09-15-2009, 09:50 AM
definitely awesome pics. I'd just like see a larger slide show on that site :)