PDA

View Full Version : off to music pass

Beater
09-04-2009, 10:51 PM
heading out with cal for a two day backpack - wish me luck. hopefully he won't be disgruntled and argumentative the WHOLE way....

wheelin to the trailhead, then about 2 miles in to the best greenback territory in the state. This is the creek that ends up in the sand dunes fyi...

I am only taking the blackberry, so those pics will have to do..

corsair23
09-05-2009, 12:58 AM
Have a great time and make sure Cal practices those fire starting skills :thumb:

Beater
09-07-2009, 04:47 PM
we survived...

RicardoJM
09-07-2009, 07:11 PM
Post up those blackberry photos of the green backs when you get the chance.

JadeRunner
09-07-2009, 08:25 PM
Way to go John! Those cuts can be hard to catch. The rainbows are taking over but then they're all large so no biggie. Which lake did to hit and how did you do?

Upper Sand is my all time favorite lake. Been there twice this year (one w\ the wife) and am going again in two weeks on my return trip from the Wheeler Geological area.

I'll post one of mine to help pressure you into posting some of yours.:thumb:

Beater
09-08-2009, 08:03 AM
well, we didn't do the lakes. We (well I) tend to avoid lakes at all costs... I like to stay on top of the water, and high mountain lakes need perfect presentation. Plus the mosquitoes and too many people usually.

We got to the trail head around 10:30 only to find it packed with boy scouts (not what you want to see after 3.5 plus hours of driving). There was also a group of couples and dogs at the trailhead (around 6 people) heading out with fishing gear as well. :(

Luckily, they were hitting the lakes. We hiked up to the pass, chatted with the ranger who I was VERY glad to see on a holiday weekend, as there can be so many people who are not exactly prepared or experienced on holidays. When he heard we were going down canyon, he started asking some technical questions (again - good show, as he asked them in a way as to not offend if I didn't know the answers) before he let us go.

We went down canyon around a mile, to where the two creeks, lower and upper, converge. Beautiful slot canyon, with some great pools and eddies. Took some bush-wacking and bouldering to get in, but was really worth it. One pool was amazing. around 45 feet across and about 10 feet deep at the focal point, after about a 50 foot waterfall.

The bad, my trusted and favorite reel died. I decided to bring my packable 9' 6wt, so my cal could use my 7' packable 4-5wt. (my other bush rod is only a two piece) The mounting holes stripped. It's only about 2.5yrs old, and has been coming loose, so I am not surprised, just bummed as I don't have the receipt. The store should warrant it, but who knows.

The other bad. trash leaving morons are not limited to 4wheeling. In the pristine canyon, we found remnants of junk. a 11" long bbq lighter, a pair of not too worn size 11 nike running shoes. WORM CONTAINERS! and assorted other junk.. grrrrr.

All and all, my son now sees the joy of fly fishing finally, (he has hated it as most streams/rivers around denver see so much pressure and are hard to get results on for a newbie) as well as learned that he can hike over three miles with 2k of elevation and not only survive, but enjoy it.

oh and I don't know about "hard to catch" snicker snicker, cal probably caught close to twenty, and I lost track after 30 or so....