PDA

View Full Version : Holy Cross Planning

Uncle Ben
09-06-2009, 10:52 AM
Moved to.... (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showpost.php?p=118208&postcount=19)

AxleIke
09-06-2009, 06:54 PM
Plans to firm up over the week, but should be in for Friday night to Saturday.

J Kimmel
09-06-2009, 09:53 PM
where are you guys camping? I might go, if I do its friday night...I am running carnage in BV sunday so I might make a weekend of it :)

Uncle Ben
09-06-2009, 10:27 PM
where are you guys camping? I might go, if I do its friday night...I am running carnage in BV sunday so I might make a weekend of it :)

The meadow on the west side of Homestake road close to the trail head.

EWheeler
09-07-2009, 09:15 AM
The meadow on the west side of Homestake road close to the trail head.

Is this true for Saturday night as well?

Uncle Ben
09-07-2009, 11:54 AM
Is this true for Saturday night as well?

I would assume as some are planning on staying from Friday through Sunday.

EWheeler
09-07-2009, 12:18 PM
Well that makes it a lot easier for me to make it Saturday evening. Finding a bunch of Yoters in a field off the road to the trailhead is much more doable than me making a solo trip up an unkown trail in the middle of the night. Pending a safe ascent & descent of North Maroon Peak earlier in the day, keep an eye out for a stranger in a red 40 Saturday evening.

Uncle Ben
09-07-2009, 12:39 PM
Well that makes it a lot easier for me to make it Saturday evening. Finding a bunch of Yoters in a field off the road to the trailhead is much more doable than me making a solo trip up an unkown trail in the middle of the night. Pending a safe ascent & descent of North Maroon Peak earlier in the day, keep an eye out for a stranger in a red 40 Saturday evening.

Uncle Ben CB channel 4 and K0UBN simplex 146.460 :thumb::thumb:

bigbluefj
09-07-2009, 04:55 PM
darn only if i didn't have to golf this weekend i would drive to denver to go with you guy's oh well..

Uncle Ben
09-07-2009, 08:39 PM
darn only if i didn't have to golf this weekend i would drive to denver to go with you guy's oh well..

Vail is nearby and has beautiful links! ;) Dayem.....you haven't even picked up your 80 yet and your wearing white golf shoes and most likely have a Starbucks card in your wallet!

J Kimmel
09-07-2009, 08:47 PM
put me down for possibly. Pulling a trailer, 85 pickup camping Friday night. What time are you guys getting up there?

Uncle Ben
09-07-2009, 08:55 PM
put me down for possibly. Pulling a trailer, 85 pickup camping Friday night. What time are you guys getting up there?

I plan on late afternoon early evening.

bigbluefj
09-07-2009, 08:59 PM
Vail is nearby and has beautiful links! ;) Dayem.....you haven't even picked up your 80 yet and your wearing white golf shoes and most likely have a Starbucks card in your wallet!

Golf Shoe's?? can't stand Starbucks i was told to go or else hiking boot's and camo short's is about dressed up as i get for golf...

Uncle Ben
09-07-2009, 09:14 PM
Golf Shoe's?? can't stand Starbucks i was told to go or else hiking boot's and camo short's is about dressed up as i get for golf...

Ahhhh....so you're just an 80 owner in training... :lmao:

bigbluefj
09-07-2009, 09:19 PM
Trying to find the portable coffee machine to put in with the fridge...:D:D

rover67
09-07-2009, 09:22 PM
http://www.brunton.com/product.php?id=616

:)

Air Randy
09-08-2009, 11:54 AM
Can someone confirm what the correct directions are to get to the trailhead from Denver and what time we are planning to start out from the trailhead?

FJBRADY
09-08-2009, 08:32 PM
UB, count Michele and I in. We will be staying overnight Friday in Vail and meeting everyone at the trail head or the campsite time permitting on Sat. morning.

Look for the birthday girl :Princess: and I in the 40 Saturday morning.

Uncle Ben
09-08-2009, 10:26 PM
Who, what, when and how long? ....as of 9/10 16:30

RS
Uncle Ben +1? , 80&40, 11th and 12th, Thinking of bringing pork ribs...
RockRunner +1?, Runner, 11th and 12th,
Air Randy +1, 40, 12th
nuclearlemon, 80, 11th&12th
AxleIke, runner, 11th&12th , Macaroni Salad
farnhamstj, 100, ??????
J Kimmel, mini, 1th&12th
FJBRADY +, FJC, 12th

CLC
Trevor, racing40, 11th-13th
RLMS, 55!, 12th&13th?
GoSlow, 40, ????
black95 +1?, Runner, 11th & 12th

Homestake Road/Gold Park Rd. turnoff from Hwy 24 South of Minturn, CO

39* 28' 27.31" N, 106* 21' 43.25" W

Campsite on Gold Park Rd

39* 24' 48.83" N, 106* 25' 48.91" W

Holy Cross Trailhead on Gold Park Rd.

39* 24' 11.28" N, 106* 26' 36.93" W

Hit the Trail Head at 8:30 (Air Down and Gather) 9:00 AM Sharp on the trail to beat the crowds (Saturday 9/12/2009)

Uncle Ben
09-09-2009, 04:55 PM
Bump.....is the list complete?

EWheeler
09-09-2009, 11:52 PM
Welp, I'm out. Flat tire today when I came out from work, due to a large crack in sidewall right at the transition to the tread (badly weathered BFG MT). Glad it happened in town though and not on the trail where I would have become a plug. Even so, I feel that Murphy's law never fails:mad: New (to me) set of MT/R's comming in a week or so w/ a full size spare:cool: Maybe next year.

Uncle Ben
09-10-2009, 07:07 AM
Welp, I'm out. Flat tire today when I came out from work, due to a large crack in sidewall right at the transition to the tread (badly weathered BFG MT). Glad it happened in town though and not on the trail where I would have become a plug. Even so, I feel that Murphy's law never fails:mad: New (to me) set of MT/R's comming in a week or so w/ a full size spare:cool: Maybe next year.

Bummer, sorry to hear that. Definatly sounds like tires will need to be in your very near future!

RockRunner
09-10-2009, 10:12 AM
I count 13 people between the 2 clubs, that sounds like a good number. Anybody else going that is not on the list?????? Speak now or unlock your hubs........

powderpig
09-10-2009, 04:22 PM
http://www.brunton.com/product.php?id=616
at a $160, I think I can live with the coffee press.
I wish I was going. to many kid things lately, :mad::rant:
Enjoy, I will be thinking of you guys.

rover67
09-10-2009, 07:03 PM
yeah guys, you have fun. It was one of my favorites last year so it's hard to pass up, but we gotta get settled in this new place and I think one more weekend of pushing hard will do it.

AxleIke
09-10-2009, 08:56 PM
Just to clarify. I'm now bringing my own food, since we seem to not have the potluck set up.

Uncle Ben
09-10-2009, 09:17 PM
Just to clarify. I'm now bringing my own food, since we seem to not have the potluck set up.

Sorry about that! I tried but communication just hasn't happened. Prolly too many threads to keep interest going.

RockRunner
09-10-2009, 09:43 PM
WHo said no more potluck????? I have been making babyback ribs for 12 hours sofar I can't just turn of the smoker and put them back in the fridge.

We'll I guess I won't go and Sharon and I can have some friends over for dinner instead, don't want to waste the meat, hell nearly cost $85,

Ya'll have fun.

RockRunner
09-10-2009, 09:43 PM
OK maybe not

zornff
09-10-2009, 10:15 PM
I've been talking with Justin(RLMS) about going and it looks like the wifey and i are going to be there. Prolly be there Friday evening around 7pm. Driving a Dodge mega-cab with rtt, pulling a trailer with my 45.5 aboard.
See you there.

Mike

Uncle Ben
09-10-2009, 11:43 PM
WHo said no more potluck????? I have been making babyback ribs for 12 hours sofar I can't just turn of the smoker and put them back in the fridge.

We'll I guess I won't go and Sharon and I can have some friends over for dinner instead, don't want to waste the meat, hell nearly cost $85,

Ya'll have fun.

I'll eat! I wish I knew you were doing baby backs! I was planning on slow crocked full size ribs thrown on the barbi just before dinner....hmmmmm plan B :rolleyes:

RockRunner
09-11-2009, 08:04 AM
I'll eat! I wish I knew you were doing baby backs! I was planning on slow crocked full size ribs thrown on the barbi just before dinner....hmmmmm plan B :rolleyes:

I was just kidding UB, I hope I didn't mess up your plans.

I am bringing food for 6 but not 100% sure what yet. I ran out of time again as usual so the Dutch oven is out.

CTS Are going to have a fire? If so I can bring some firewood. LMK and I'll toss some on the trailer.

RockRunner
09-11-2009, 08:06 AM
I've been talking with Justin(RLMS) about going and it looks like the wifey and i are going to be there. Prolly be there Friday evening around 7pm. Driving a Dodge mega-cab with rtt, pulling a trailer with my 45.5 aboard.
See you there.

Mike

I have the exact same tow rig setup as you do, just not the cool 45.5 :bowdown:

nuclearlemon
09-11-2009, 09:06 AM
See you there.

Mike

sweet!!!

Hulk
09-11-2009, 10:10 AM
Wish I was going, but it's my wife's BD weekend.

Uncle Ben
09-11-2009, 11:02 AM
I was just kidding UB, I hope I didn't mess up your plans.

I am bringing food for 6 but not 100% sure what yet. I ran out of time again as usual so the Dutch oven is out.

CTS Are going to have a fire? If so I can bring some firewood. LMK and I'll toss some on the trailer.

Too late....you committed to baby backs! Now I'll have a crock full of spicy backed beans and I'm making cornbread in my new camp oven. :p:

RockRunner
09-11-2009, 01:09 PM
Well I better figure something out. Maybe some simple ribs but we need a fire. How many people are going to be up there friday night?

isotel
09-11-2009, 01:39 PM
Leaving as soon as as i can Sneek out of work ;) See you guys tonight!

Glad to here the 45.5 is going to be there!

I Normally grab some hot dogs and Beer, and live on that while camping.. Ill grab some sort of a side!

Trevor

zornff
09-12-2009, 08:03 AM
Bummed ! It seems lately everytime we get ready to go do something fun, life (work) gets in the way. We needed to leave around 2:30 to be up there around 7:30, ended up getting home after 5, in a massive fricken' downpour. DONE ! It sucks as i spent the better part of yesterday mounting the rtt, dialing in the 45.5, camping gear, etc...
Summer has went way too fast this year. Hope everyone has a blast !

nuclearlemon
09-12-2009, 05:46 PM
Bummed ! It seems lately everytime we get ready to go do something fun, life (work) gets in the way. We needed to leave around 2:30 to be up there around 7:30, ended up getting home after 5, in a massive fricken' downpour. DONE ! It sucks as i spent the better part of yesterday mounting the rtt, dialing in the 45.5, camping gear, etc...
Summer has went way too fast this year. Hope everyone has a blast !

you sooo missed out.:(

AxleIke
09-12-2009, 09:29 PM
A great run.

I left very early due to feeling very ill. After several hours of sleep, I've gotten worse.

Sad to say, its got the ear marks of H1N1. Gotta wait for a couple days, as the H1N1 symptoms are exactly like a bad cold.

Thanks to all who came! I had a great time. Wish I felt better, and apologies if I was short or grumpy to anyone. I can assure you (and others can back me up) I'm normally quite pleasant to wheel with on the trail. By the time we hit the creek, I was feeling so crappy I thought about bailing before hand. But, I'd come that far....LOL

Great to see the CLC gang again! We gotta do more joint runs.

Cheers everyone! I'm off to bed again.

bh4rnnr
09-12-2009, 09:42 PM
A great run.

I left very early due to feeling very ill. After several hours of sleep, I've gotten worse.

Sad to say, its got the ear marks of H1N1. Gotta wait for a couple days, as the H1N1 symptoms are exactly like a bad cold.

Thanks to all who came! I had a great time. Wish I felt better, and apologies if I was short or grumpy to anyone. I can assure you (and others can back me up) I'm normally quite pleasant to wheel with on the trail. By the time we hit the creek, I was feeling so crappy I thought about bailing before hand. But, I'd come that far....LOL

Great to see the CLC gang again! We gotta do more joint runs.

Cheers everyone! I'm off to bed again.

Sounds like you guys had a great time, and that was wuit the run you had on French Creek:cool:

Hope you feel better:beer:

MDH33
09-13-2009, 09:24 AM
How did the run go? I was trying to hear you all on HAM Saturday but didn't get anything. I was doing a fall color ride out by Breck. It was snowing on the passes! :eek: :)

AxleIke
09-13-2009, 10:56 AM
Sounds like you guys had a great time, and that was wuit the run you had on French Creek:cool:

Hope you feel better:beer:

Thanks Perry.

Sorry, but what is wuit? I couldn't tell if it was good or bad. LOL. I made it through, but it was neither smooth nor pretty. Probably wouldn't have been quite so long if the exit had been drier, and I hadn't sissyed out on the initial climb, but I just didn't like the feeling.

Finally got to the point where no flex in the front is a serious issue. Time to start saving for something different up front.

Hulk
09-14-2009, 11:46 AM
http://rustybrain.com/smile/this_thread_is_worthless_without_pics.gif

nuclearlemon
09-14-2009, 11:55 AM
http://rustybrain.com/smile/this_thread_is_worthless_without_pics.gif

you need to check out the thread in the trip reports ;)

Hulk
09-14-2009, 12:02 PM
Cool. Not sure how I missed that.

bh4rnnr
09-15-2009, 08:03 PM
Thanks Perry.

Sorry, but what is wuit? I couldn't tell if it was good or bad. LOL. I made it through, but it was neither smooth nor pretty. Probably wouldn't have been quite so long if the exit had been drier, and I hadn't sissyed out on the initial climb, but I just didn't like the feeling.

Finally got to the point where no flex in the front is a serious issue. Time to start saving for something different up front.

A little late in replying but I dont know what wuit means. Must have been one of those nights:rolleyes:, sorry.

I've always enjoyed watching you hang with the big boys and there long traveld axles but I guess we have to grow up sometime. To be honest, i've been dead set on the Total Chaos front IFS kit for the 4runners, but then Marco had to go and point out some moving ball joints. Needles to say i'm just gonna have to settle for a SAS..

Either way, it was a good show you put on:cool::thumb::cheers:

:beer::beer:

leiniesred
09-18-2009, 08:43 AM
AxleIke and Perry: The minitruck IFS is good, but you will be so much happier with the older solid axle.
It feels (and probably is) much safer in the rocks. The entire chassis doesn't follow the terrain under the front of the truck. The IFS also lets you get a tire 3 feet off the ground. Sometimes, as it comes back down, there is quite a bit of momentum which is "disconcerting" to say the least.

The only thing more fun than a toyota SAS is a full width SAS!