PDA

View Full Version : Solar generator with Stirling engine

powderpig
09-08-2009, 10:39 AM
Here is a link on a cool technology that I think may be better than Solar panels if you have the room for it.
http://www.infiniacorp.com/infinia-solar-system.html

It is a 3kw solar generator. Cheaper than the same KW production in solar panels. (still about 20k currently).
Ayhow I thought I would share.
There is a company with a bigger version that is producing 35kw from each unit and they are building big farms in AZ and california.

corsair23
09-08-2009, 11:41 AM
That's pretty cool :thumb:

Like a solar satelitte dish :)

Hulk
09-08-2009, 12:13 PM
Interesting stuff. How do you know about these guys, Robbie? Are you doing work for them or thinking about installing one of their systems?

I have been fascinated with solar power since being a kid. It's nice to see it really taking off.

rover67
09-08-2009, 12:23 PM
Wow, that's really cool.

thanks for the link..

60wag
09-08-2009, 12:54 PM
And for those, like me, who need a refresher on Stirling engines:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stirling_engine

RockRunner
09-08-2009, 01:07 PM
Thanks for the link Robbie, I will have to check it out more. We have two bids on a solar system for our house but have been reluctant to pull the trigger. This may be a viable option.

It will make for some good reading when I am at home recovering.

Corbet
09-08-2009, 01:27 PM
OK I want one, have the space for many. Anyone want an acre of dirt in Breckenridge so I can raise the capital to go solar in Durango?

rover67
09-08-2009, 01:36 PM
how much for the acre of dirt and where is it...?

nakman
09-08-2009, 02:30 PM

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=6959&highlight=breckenridge as of a year and a half ago. I'm sure the lot hasn't moved, it's possible the price has though. :D

powderpig
09-08-2009, 03:11 PM
If I read all the info right, this is just like a gen set, it produces 208 or 240 volts(did not see if it is 3 phase or not, but would think so). One of the things that got me recently about PV systems, is that they need battery back up it the power goes down(according to the neighbors that lost power just like the rest of us). PV produces Direct current that needs a invertor to give you AC current at the proper voltage. So this type of system should still provide power to the house if you are grid tied and pull the out side breaker so as not to power others.
Anyhow maybe I am misunderstanding my neighbors who spend almost 20G out of pocket for there 4KW system(almost 45 grand total, minus rebates and such).
Anyhow, at night the sucker would not produce and you would still need a battery back up system if you were not grid tied.
I wish I was selling these(maybe I will hunt down the distributor for them here and see if he need a guy like me).
Even systems like this have only a efficency of about 29 %.
I got the bug from the recent national geographic on Solar power and the different methods, found out how low efficency the PV(some as low as 12-14%) stuff really is and the limitations it has.
Anyhow, as much as I like wrenching, some day I need to move on to something else that does not have as much Chemicals involved with it(the body can only take so much).

Corbet
09-08-2009, 04:48 PM

Marco, PM me if your interested. The link Tim posted is correct. He is also correect in assuming the lot has not moved.;) Its no longer listed due to less than favorable market conditions. But I just renewed the well permit last week. Septic I let slide as its too specific to what ever gets built anyway.

nakman
09-09-2009, 10:07 AM
Ok now HERE'S a solar plant...

http://www.pddnet.com/news-ap-chinese-solar-plant-expected-to-be-the-biggest-090809/
First Solar receives 10-year deal to build solar field in China desert.

NEW YORK (AP) — First Solar Inc. said Tuesday it has received initial approval from the Chinese government to build what may become the largest solar field in the world.

First Solar, which makes more solar cells than any other company, said it struck a tentative 10-year deal to build in China's vast desert north of the Great Wall. The project would eventually blanket 25 square miles of Inner Mongolia — slightly larger than the size of Manhattan — with a sea of black, light-absorbing glass.

The solar field would dwarf anything in operation in the U.S. or Europe. At 2 gigawatts, or 2 billion watts, the solar plant could pump as much energy onto China's grid as two coal-fired plants, enough to light up three million homes.