PDA

View Full Version : Sandblasting

FJ_Mark
09-08-2009, 02:12 PM
I'm working on a trailer project starting with a M416 as the base. And want to sand/media blast it down and repaint or maybe even power coat everything. Anyone local do sandblasting for a decent price? I live in a condo so doing it myself isn't workable.

Thanks.

Uncle Ben
09-08-2009, 02:50 PM
You might check into places that blast and repaint trucks, tractors, trailers, etc... In the past we have had a tractor stripped and repainted and a dump box on a dump truck. I forget the name of the place we used but it is off HWY-76 near Sheridan. I'll look when I get home. Usually, very reasonable in price.

timmbuck2
09-08-2009, 03:33 PM
cool, Timztoy will also want to know about a good place...he has a 40 that was rhinolined....on the OUTSIDE.....

Beater
09-08-2009, 06:14 PM
anywhere that does powder coating will do the media blast.

I have a small unit, but it takes a big compressor.

Uncle Ben
09-08-2009, 06:44 PM
I have a small unit, but it takes a big compressor.

Got it recorded....

wesintl
09-08-2009, 06:56 PM
LOL that's some funny shiat!

Shark Bait
09-08-2009, 07:23 PM
Blast-Tech Inc Automotive Paint & Rust Removal

3775 S Kalamath St
Englewood, CO 80110

* (303) 806-9992

TIMZTOY
09-09-2009, 09:37 AM
Blast-Tech Inc Automotive Paint & Rust Removal

3775 S Kalamath St
Englewood, CO 80110

* (303) 806-9992

I just called them they seam really nice. They have to see the project befor quoting a price. But they charge $150.00 a hour but don't price by the hour because most projects dont take even close to a hour. They charge by the minute. At $2.50 a minute.

Unfortunally they can't blast rino linning because it will just bounce off he said that I have to use a large wire wheel like a full 7" wire wheel to remove it. This sucks. That will probly be 20-40 hours or striping. :rant:

FJ_Mark
09-09-2009, 01:00 PM
Thanks for the lead on a sandblasting shop. Anyone use a local outfit for power coating. I am not sure what would be more durable/cost effective. Paint or powder coating. Also when power coating do any rust pits or rough surfaces cause any problems with the finish?

Shark Bait
09-09-2009, 01:11 PM
Thanks for the lead on a sandblasting shop. Anyone use a local outfit for power coating. I am not sure what would be more durable/cost effective. Paint or powder coating. Also when power coating do any rust pits or rough surfaces cause any problems with the finish?

Mile High Powder Coatings
4275 S Navajo St
Englewood, CO 80110
(303) 789-1485

I can highly recommend these guys. They did my FJ40 bumper. He'll be glad to have your business.

Beater
09-09-2009, 01:39 PM

powder coating needs a perfect surface. If any filler needs to be done, the filler needs to be able to withstand several hours at 400 degrees, as well as be able conduct a negative charge.

so, in short, yes, all imperfections will show through.

FJ_Mark
09-09-2009, 02:12 PM
I'm not really worried about the imperfections showing. I was more worried about the coating adhering to the surface. In short I am just looking for the most durable finish that will stick to the less than perfect surface.

corsair23
09-09-2009, 02:29 PM
IMO powder coating is nice, and "purdy", but after spending hours touching it up on my sliders, rear bumper, ARB bumper, etc. I wouldn't spend the money to powder coat something that didn't come that way new....I'd just use your favorite choice of paint in a spray can :)

Easy to touch up when you need to and if you want to change color down the road no worries.

As for durability? Don't know, but I can tell you that powder coating doesn't hold up very well when scraped on rocks but maybe for a trailer that wouldn't be a concern.

Beater
09-09-2009, 03:45 PM
I have done a lot of powder coating on sculpture. It is NOT as durable uv wise, even with 2/3 uv coats, depending on pigment. Red, yellow, green are big offenders.

As for adhesion, it is as good as most paints, depending on the prep and type of media used for abrasion.

j

rover67
09-09-2009, 04:09 PM
It is more durable to sandblasting (from the road) than rattle can paint though, that's why we used it on our sprint car frames.

I agree with Jeff though, i just sprayed all my stuff black rattle can. When it grinds off on rocks I just respray.

FJ_Mark
09-09-2009, 05:36 PM
Sounds like maybe just blast of the OD green paint and paint away. I might just podwer coat the wheels to make them purty.

Rzeppa
09-09-2009, 06:46 PM
but it takes a big compressor.

Amen Bro :thumb:

daisydog34
09-09-2009, 09:27 PM
For those of you up on the north end of town there is a place at the firestone exit I think. Its called Premium Powder, I use these guys for cages, frames, handrails, and job boxes. Good couple of guys and do great work at good prices, usually the cheapest I can find up north.

Uncle Ben
09-09-2009, 11:28 PM
For those of you up on the north end of town there is a place at the firestone exit I think. Its called Premium Powder, I use these guys for cages, frames, handrails, and job boxes. Good couple of guys and do great work at good prices, usually the cheapest I can find up north.

Great tip! :thumb::thumb:

chtucker
09-10-2009, 08:30 PM
Don't goto Roadrunner Fabrication at I25/I76...

It cost a year of my life, numerous trips to a mediator, a trip to small claims court, and stalled the resto of my bronco for a long time...

it cost them $7500 bucks though...

The had a monkey sandblast the body panels and warped every single panel/fender/door of a completely striaght, rust free early bronco body.

Uncle Ben
09-10-2009, 09:20 PM
Don't goto Roadrunner Fabrication at I25/I76...

It cost a year of my life, numerous trips to a mediator, a trip to small claims court, and stalled the resto of my bronco for a long time...

it cost them $7500 bucks though...

The had a monkey sandblast the body panels and warped every single panel/fender/door of a completely striaght, rust free early bronco body.

x2 on RR. You have the war wounds for sure. I just have 1 bad first encounter. I have since heard others with less than desirable experiences. :rant:

treerootCO
09-11-2009, 11:39 AM

They did all the work on my 80. I recommend them. Had one small issue and they took care of it.