PDA

View Full Version : Winch repair, Aux Fan Install...

corsair23
09-09-2009, 03:53 AM
While many were down having fun in Ouray, I decided that since I was stuck at home I should make the most of my Labor Day holiday weekend :) - There was a lot of labor involved :hill:

First off, after the GTR I decided that I REALLLY needed to try and get my winch issue resolved - having a non-functional winch when needed is like having an unloaded gun when someone breaks into your home...I know nothing about winches really so I've been putting this off forever. Well, I'm :rant:for doing so now because the problem was an easy fix, once I found the problem!

One of the little ground wire leads under the control box was resting on one of the cross bars that run between the solenoids. The wire has melted slightly and was creating a short. Another wire was close to the same fate. So, I rerouted all of the little wires diffently and sealed up the damaged wire and voila the winch started working normally :thumb: - So much for Warn's technical support being sure the issue was the winch remote itself which prompted me to buy a new remote ($70) that had zero impact on the problem :rolleyes:

I still have to put the rope back on and wind it on under load and then all should be well!

After that success I decided to tackle my aux fan install...Sort of wishing I hadn't after day II of working on it but it is done now and it even works :D...Here is a link to the installation write up that I posted on MUD (linky (http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/311276-pro-comp-14-aux-fax-install-97-lx450.html#post4764422)) if you are interested in the full details...

On a side note, take a look at my tranny cooler. That thing is pretty well beat up - 12+ years of rocks, bugs, etc. have done a number on that...I checked into the cost to replace it with new. You might want to sit down...$343 give or take :eek:. Dang thing must be plated with gold on the inside. For comparison I believe a new Toyota brass radiator for the engine runs $450 or so. Crazy!

Finally, although I installed this a couple weeks ago, I wanted to post up my bling-bling Nakman bezel with battery monitor and LED mic holder. This thing is the shizz :thumb:

I wanted to get to my FT-8800 install but ran out of time...Maybe I'll get to that this weekend or next. Should be a breeze compared to the aux fan :)

Uncle Ben
09-09-2009, 05:24 AM
Very nice Jeff! I commend you on the fan install especially! Hooking it up to the pressure switch is the correct way and you will be pleased with your extra work for years to come! You do not need a manual switch!

RockRunner
09-09-2009, 09:47 AM
Very nice work, but not all of us were having fun wheeling. That is for another thread.

Romer
09-09-2009, 09:55 AM
Very nice Jeff! I commend you on the fan install especially! Hooking it up to the pressure switch is the correct way and you will be pleased with your extra work for years to come! You do not need a manual switch!

I did the manual switch and feel both are acceptable. I want to be able to run it sometimes when I shut the truck off. It's a personal preference thing and I can see which one you prefer:D

corsair23
09-09-2009, 11:28 AM

Thanks UB. As much as I hate wiring/electrical stuff that was the easiest part including hooking into the pressure switch. I'm still trying to fully understand how it all really works the way it is hooked up. I was thinking I'd like to have the manual switch for control reasons - such as turning on the fan when the A/C is off while towing the popup up hills. But, if I understand the setup correctly the fan can turn on regardless of whether the A/C is on or not. So, having the manual switch would be for when I want the fan on but the "system" doesn't. I read about some concerns during water crossings and having the fan come on but I have yet to ford any deep water and if I ever do, I could just pop out the fuse.

I did the manual switch and feel both are acceptable. I want to be able to run it sometimes when I shut the truck off. It's a personal preference thing and I can see which one you prefer:D

For me it would be a control thang :hill: - I tell you this, there were several times during the install that I wish I had just gone the JDM fan route. Looks like that install based on your writeup I read (sans wiring) was my kind of simple.

Uncle Ben
09-09-2009, 01:02 PM

I daisy chained mine with the pressure switch and a Thermo switch in the upper water neck. I did that so the fan would not come on in the winter when the defroster was running and the engine is still cold. It turns on by itself whenever underhood temps are high and/or the A/C is on and the engine is at op temps. It continues to run after the key is off until the A/C pressure backs off when the refrigerant has shed the heat. The A/C blows cold right off the get go on a hot start! Being anal about wiring I made a harness that uses the stock un-used CDS fan relay and fuse in the underhood power distribution box. I kept the idiot in the drivers seat out of the equation as the system should work when it needs it, not when I remember to use it!

Hulk
09-09-2009, 01:02 PM
Congrats on all of this -- especially getting your winch fixed!

Uncle Ben
09-09-2009, 01:05 PM
Congrats on all of this -- especially getting your winch fixed!

:thumb::thumb:

Romer
09-09-2009, 03:45 PM
I daisy chained mine with the pressure switch and a Thermo switch in the upper water neck. I did that so the fan would not come on in the winter when the defroster was running and the engine is still cold. It turns on by itself whenever underhood temps are high and/or the A/C is on and the engine is at op temps. It continues to run after the key is off until the A/C pressure backs off when the refrigerant has shed the heat. The A/C blows cold right off the get go on a hot start! Being anal about wiring I made a harness that uses the stock un-used CDS fan relay and fuse in the underhood power distribution box. I kept the idiot in the drivers seat out of the equation as the system should work when it needs it, not when I remember to use it!

That certainaly is a clean way to do it and makes it automatic. I am still happy with the way I did mine and have had no issues. I debated about it for a while and your method is clean, automtic and cool. The engineer in me just wanted a manual methiod.

Like Matt and Kevin said:beer: on getting your winch fixed

RicardoJM
09-09-2009, 05:30 PM
Great work Jeff - when does the winch hit craigslist? So you can upgrade of course:D.

corsair23
09-09-2009, 06:20 PM
Great work Jeff - when does the winch hit craigslist? So you can upgrade of course:D.

The day I find a good deal on a M12000 or win the lottery :hill:

I can even throw in the winch plate that came with it when it was on the 40 at the same time.

For now I am assuming that the wire touching, melting, and then shorting out on the copper cross bar was just a fluke, and not a sign of some overheating issue. It will be nice to know on the next trail run that the lead weight on the front bumper is useful again. :)