PDA

View Full Version : Pickup truck on Mt. Cameron? - NSFW now thanks to Hulk, and Hulk alone.

treerootCO
09-11-2009, 10:15 AM
Snowrun sent me this link....I found it amusing :

http://www.kdvr.com/news/kdvr-stuck-truck-pg,0,7029475.photogallery

jettaglxdriver
09-11-2009, 10:21 AM
Hmm

LOL

Snowrun
09-11-2009, 10:29 AM
He was just looking for a Starbucks and got a little off course while texting.

sleeoffroad
09-11-2009, 10:56 AM
So in pic 1 it is stuck, and pic 4 it is starting to slide? Strange. Seems like someone took those pics while it was happening.

Beater
09-11-2009, 11:01 AM
So in pic 1 it is stuck, and pic 4 it is starting to slide? Strange. Seems like someone took those pics while it was happening.

agreed.

I wonder if they realized just how dangerous a recovery and or situation they were in? that much mass with momentum is real scary on scree...

DaveInDenver
09-11-2009, 11:07 AM
I dunno what you guys are talking about, I'm sure as heck not seeing the truck on that web page...

Hulk
09-11-2009, 11:08 AM
Yeah, I was wondering... when was the Hooters fashion show, and how do I get invited the next time?

DaveInDenver
09-11-2009, 11:10 AM

treerootCO
09-11-2009, 11:17 AM
:confused:

DaveInDenver
09-11-2009, 11:20 AM
LOL!

OK, on topic, I'm guessing he had to drive up with one side of his truck on the trail to get there. Doubt that he could've driven straight up the scree field, even with lockers.

MDH33
09-11-2009, 11:20 AM
Seriously... NSFW. :eek: :lmao:

nakman
09-11-2009, 11:21 AM
The kid at the bachelor party is the worst... man that's sad.

wesintl
09-11-2009, 11:24 AM
LOL.. gotta love fox news ads :D

corsair23
09-11-2009, 11:28 AM
Maybe it was the hiker's "support" team? :)

One thing for sure, getting that thing down safely is NOT going to be cheap...Call out the National Guard to practice their high altitude rescue? Other than helicopter, how would you get that sucker out of there...

Red_Chili
09-11-2009, 11:39 AM
Disassembly. And a lot of backpack frames.

Red_Chili
09-11-2009, 11:42 AM
Seriously... NSFW. :eek: :lmao:
SOMEBODY PUT NSFW IN THE TITLE PLEASE...
I am lucky the gal in the cube behind me didn't happen to glance over...
Thank goodness for fast mouse wheels.

Jacket
09-11-2009, 11:44 AM
Looks like he was trying to drive it on the hiking trail.:rolleyes:

Cheeseman
09-11-2009, 12:08 PM
Ask Nakman how we get someone off the soft scree and then don't mention Tomichi Pass.
________
Marijunia Dispensary Wilmington Ca (http://dispensaries.org)

nakman
09-11-2009, 12:09 PM
SOMEBODY PUT NSFW IN THE TITLE PLEASE...
I am lucky the gal in the cube behind me didn't happen to glance over...
Thank goodness for fast mouse wheels.

that better? I too was a little shocked but I'm way over here in the corner office, so not as big of a deal.. and I seem to keep coming back to this thread for some reaason :o

edit: recovery, if that was actually on a trail we could get that off. Winch front and back, a strap on the B pillar, nothing to it.. drag it back up. that stuff is old hat by now.. :)

corsair23
09-11-2009, 12:13 PM
Maybe someone should call Toyota quick...Whoever drove that up there is going to give them a bad name :(

DaveInDenver
09-11-2009, 01:05 PM
One thing for sure, getting that thing down safely is NOT going to be cheap...Call out the National Guard to practice their high altitude rescue? Other than helicopter, how would you get that sucker out of there...
Wasn't there a Hummer that did something similar, ended up bogged in the tundra (Tundra in the tundra, that would be weird). Since driving behind them is verboten and you can only backpack out so much, I think they had to hire a helicopter to get it out and at that altitude it's limited to something like a couple of hundred lbs at a time. So 400 trips up and down, that's a whole ton of hours.

MDH33
09-11-2009, 01:42 PM
So, there has been a thread on 14rs dot com about this. Looks to be where the "news" picked up the pics.

http://www.14ers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=21609

Sounds like the truck is on private property (mining claim) just past where a closed 2 track peters out.

Hulk
09-11-2009, 02:06 PM
Wow, 10 pages to that thread. Details:

I decided to register as a member so I could respond to this thread. A buddy and I were hiking doing the final run from Cameron to Bross when we saw what looked like a truck coming towards us. As we got closer to each other, it turned out to be a older teenager on a brand new dirt bike with his dad following in his brand new truck. We got to the part where the trail kinda takes a little dip and gets skinner (for about 10 feet) which was where we crossed paths with the oncoming idiots. My buddy and I sat down to grab a drink and watch the entertainment as we were shocked that this guy in the truck was actually attempting this. The dirt biker obviously wasn't too experienced because he could barely work the clutch and didn't have much control over the bike. The dirt bike's rear tire started slipping as he tried to get grip, but his rear end slid off the trail and he dug himself a rut. He shut off the bike and got off and had to lift the rear end out of the rocks to get it back onto stable ground. Meanwhile, the Dad is sitting in the truck with two other small kids watching his son getting stuck. This should have been a good indication that it might be more difficult to get your truck out of a situation like this than it is for a dirt bike. Anyway, the dirt bike kept going up the trail towards Cameron and Dad came trucking right behind. He got to the dip in the trail and had the truck on 2 tires; front right and back left with a nice twist in his frame. He had to back up 2 times and finnally gunned it to get past this point. Right after the dip he was a little out of control given the power his big truck just unleashed on the mountain, and his truck began to tilt towards the right, ie down the mountain. I could see the left side springs extending and then his truck got on the two right wheels with the left wheels just above the ground. I tried to get my camera out fast, but he quickly took action and attempted to correct the situation by driving more uphill, and that's when his back right tire started spinning and the rear end went off the trail. We're sitting about 10 feet away from all this (on the uphill side of course) so we had an awesome viewpoint. At this point we realized that this guy is not going to give up and we really didn't want to be involved in his rescue attempt, so we headed on. We kept looking back and the guy kept trying to get all his tires back on the trail, but all the loose rock wasn't helping and he kept sliding down. Anyway, enjoy the pictures!

rover67
09-11-2009, 02:07 PM
wow....

pretty stupid.

I honestly don't know how anybody could mistake that for an OK place to try and go with a truck.

MDH33
09-11-2009, 02:07 PM
Someone in that thread suggested that a local 4WD club should help get him out. I volunteered Rising Sun, hope that's ok. ;)

subzali
09-11-2009, 02:34 PM
I've been on that part of the trail hiking between Bross and Lincoln, skirting by Cameron. It's not that wide (as you can tell from the pictures). And it doesn't go anywhere to speak of. That guy is a complete idiot. We should go get us a free truck Radar style...

Hulk
09-11-2009, 03:38 PM
Another gratuitous hot chick pic... this thread was getting hopelessly back on topic. :D

nakman
09-11-2009, 04:04 PM
Another gratuitous hot chick pic... this thread was getting hopelessly back on topic. :D

A moderator's dream, thanks! Hope you've enjoyed the thread title updates.. :D

wesintl
09-11-2009, 04:14 PM
Looks like it's all WS for the rest of us. I liked the NWS for red chili :D

MDH33
09-11-2009, 04:17 PM
Looks like it's all WS for the rest of us. I liked the NWS for red chili :D

Not WS for me. My wife sits in the "cube" behind me. :eek::brick:

nakman
09-11-2009, 04:35 PM

Yeah but doesn't she do anatomical illustrations? it's research, man.. :smokin:

wesintl
09-11-2009, 04:44 PM

what, does she watch over your shoulder all day :eek: Tell her you need her to get you a drink :p:

Hulk
09-11-2009, 06:12 PM
We need more of this sort of thing!

jettaglxdriver
09-11-2009, 06:43 PM
That could be funny if he was losing the truck because he was unemployed and told the bank where it was and to have fun getting it back.

Corbet
09-11-2009, 11:31 PM
As funny as this is to us, it is this very kind of thing that should anger us. :mad: Or at least it does me. These are the type of actions that generally get associated with us, as 4 wheeling enthusiasts. If removing this vehicle as a club was safely possible, it would be great PR. But ultimately I hope the owner ends up with a massive tow bill and some fines to boot. :rant:

corsair23
09-11-2009, 11:50 PM
Appears the truck has been removed...Most of it anyway

I was up on the Decalibron today for the 9/11 memorial hike for the fallen firefighters. Looks like the truck has been removed. The only thing remaining are deep tire ruts where the truck was stuck.

Along with the tire ruts, there were scraps of parts from a vehicle laying around nearby - I would assume it was from the stuck truck. I wasn't quite strong enough to carry down what appeared to be an entire bumper........

DaveInDenver
09-11-2009, 11:58 PM
Man, I love beer.

DaveInDenver
09-12-2009, 12:07 AM
...and Indy car racing. BTW, there's a Cobra in that picture.

nuclearlemon
09-12-2009, 06:55 PM
this is more like it

powderpig
09-12-2009, 07:52 PM
Thanks for the womanly perpective

Hulk
09-14-2009, 12:41 PM
Where did you get picture of me, Ige, and why is my face cut off? :confused:

nakman
09-23-2009, 10:14 PM
Ok well this thread is probably as inappropriate as any to post this... so you guys can meet St. Pauli Girl at Total Beverage in westminster this Friday

WESTMINSTER TOTAL BEVERAGE
9359 Sheridan Blvd Westminster CO 80031
303-426-4800 www.TotalBev.com

~Katarina Van Derham, a successful print and TV model, currently resides in Los Angeles.
~She is 5'6" tall with blonde hair and blue-green eyes.
~Katarina is fluent in five languages including English, Slovak, Czech, Russian and Polish.
~Katarina is trained in Krav Maga, a military self-defense technique and enjoys kick-boxing, wrestling, playing basketball, volleyball and table tennis.
~When she is not modeling, Katarina is developing her own make-up line and works on architectual graphic design.

Hulk
09-24-2009, 02:33 PM
Too bad that's not on the end of town. Dave, Dean and I enjoy a beer in the company of attractive liquor sales ladies.