PDA

View Full Version : Fan Shroud w/ clutch fan

RicardoJM
09-13-2009, 08:19 AM
I'm going to put a 7 blade clutch fan from a 1985 FJ60 into my FJ40. Well actually, I'm putting in the water pump, water pump pulley, fan clutch, fan and 3 row crank shaft pulley from an 1985 FJ60 into my FJ40.

In researching this work it appears the 7 blade fan has a larger diameter and sits out just a bit so it will interfere with the radiator and fan shroud that is currently in the truck. For the first issue, the radiator supports can be slotted to move the radiator forward for clearance.

For the second issue, I understand that others have used the fan shroud from a late series 40 that had a clutch fan. I don't have one of those laying around, but can get my hands on the radiator fan shroud from the 1985 FJ60. Have any of you made the switch from direct drive to clutch fan in your FJ40? How did you deal with the radiator and fan shroud issues? Will an FJ60 fan shroud be relatively straightforward to use in a 1971 FJ40?

Air Randy
09-13-2009, 09:20 AM
I have the clutch and plastic fan from the 1980 FK40 mounted on the engine I just rebuilt. I was planning on dropping that into my 1974 FJ40 and using the same shroud, etc. It looked to me like the 74 shroud was the same as the 80 shroud.

Fortunately I did keep the shroud from the 1980 just in case, you're welcome to look at that to see what the differences are.

RicardoJM
09-13-2009, 07:45 PM
I have the clutch and plastic fan from the 1980 FK40 mounted on the engine I just rebuilt. I was planning on dropping that into my 1974 FJ40 and using the same shroud, etc. It looked to me like the 74 shroud was the same as the 80 shroud.

Fortunately I did keep the shroud from the 1980 just in case, you're welcome to look at that to see what the differences are.

I may take you up on looking at it. From what I can tell, the diameter of the round hole is different, slightly larger for the 7 blade clutch fans. Good thing you have the shroud, you may need it. :thumb: