PDA

View Full Version : Header fix thread...

Rezarf
09-14-2009, 03:38 PM
Howdy-

So I have been riding a hole in my exhaust header for about a year now. It is time to get in there and fix it.

There is a small hole that has rusted/burned out. I bought a replacement header but it is a different size collector than the one currently on the truck... it comes in about 2" shorter than the "original" header and sits about 3/4" higher too.

So, would you:

1. Pull the existing header, cut out the bad tube, and weld in a new one.

2. Put on the "new" (used) header and deal with the redoing of the exhaust/building a portion of exhaust to fit and span the difference?

Neither are appealing, I am leaning towards option 1.

Thanks!:thumb:

Drew

wesintl
09-14-2009, 03:40 PM
the only thing about fixing the one now is will there be the 5 others later?

Uncle Ben
09-14-2009, 04:01 PM
the only thing about fixing the one now is will there be the 5 others later?

Have to agree....Pull it, start messing with it, notice several cracks and micro thin metal....then swap it with the other one after wasting a day trying to fix it. Have the used one cleaned and lay on some good ceramic rattle can paint the swap 'em out.

Rezarf
09-14-2009, 04:05 PM
Have to agree....Pull it, start messing with it, notice several cracks and micro thin metal....then swap it with the other one after wasting a day trying to fix it. Have the used one cleaned and lay on some good ceramic rattle can paint the swap 'em out.

Yeah, I figured as much... but I was hoping for another option ;)

Can a hole here at #6 cylinder be the reason that my brake booster feels weak? I think it is tied into a vac line there, correct?

Thanks guys, time to start the madness.:thumb:

rover67
09-14-2009, 04:05 PM
I've used this stuff before on raw metal. seemed to work OK if cured properly (in the oven..)

Has anybody had any experience with a better/different product? This stuff is cheap and available at autozone so i keep buying it for various projects.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/Brand/VHT/Product-Line/VHT-Flameproof-Coatings/?autoview=SKU

Uncle Ben
09-14-2009, 04:23 PM
I've used this stuff before on raw metal. seemed to work OK if cured properly (in the oven..)

Has anybody had any experience with a better/different product? This stuff is cheap and available at autozone so i keep buying it for various projects.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/Brand/VHT/Product-Line/VHT-Flameproof-Coatings/?autoview=SKU

VHT is great stuff! It's your call if you tell the wife what the horrible smell is in the kitchen! Still is accepted by the :Princess: better than finding the T-case housing in the dish washer! :rolleyes: :brick:

Rezarf
09-30-2009, 10:46 AM
So I am going to buy a new header. I have two choices. MAF and JT-outifitters. JT's is the one peice flange variety and is about 75 bucks cheaper than the MAF who has started using a two peice flange, that they say, drastically cuts down on the leaks associated with header installation.

I can go either way, the $ now isn't that big of a deal to do it right. FWIW, the MAF product looks beefier and the flange is substantially thicker too.

What say you?

Thanks! :thumb:

Drew

AxleIke
09-30-2009, 11:31 AM
Maybe doesn't apply to your application, but for my header, I used ultra high temp gasket maker, and haven't had a leak issue with mine. It works really well. Just have to be careful not to put too much in so it doesn't spooge out and block the exhaust flow.

MDH33
09-30-2009, 12:09 PM
I just heard Downey went out of business. They made nice headers too. :(

TIMZTOY
09-30-2009, 12:43 PM
I reccomend the split flange.

Rezarf
09-30-2009, 12:49 PM
I just heard Downey went out of business. They made nice headers too. :(

I know I just heard that, Jim is still around, but Downey is no more :(

Drew

RicardoJM
09-30-2009, 12:51 PM
Given differences, a thicker flange is better. With regard to the collection chamber, I'm sure it makes a difference but on an F/2F we are not impressed with shaving fractions of seconds on out quarter mile times.

I do believe that it is very important to have a header coated. I did a bunch of research when putting headers into the Bronco on the various methods to protect the headers and keep temps down in the engine compartment and settled on ceramic coating. I have a header that I will be putting in with the 1F oiling system upgrade and it will get ceramic coated. I'll likely use the same shop that coated the Bronco headers. For a $200 bucks, it seems expensive but to know it will last a long time worth the added expense.

Rezarf
09-30-2009, 01:00 PM
I'm sure it makes a difference but on an F/2F we are not impressed with shaving fractions of seconds on out quarter mile times.

Speak for yourself! :D

Just kidding, I am going to go a bit cheaper than the full on ceramic coating. I have a hard time speding that coin there on that kind of upgrade... maybe I am in error, but Marco's recommendation will probably get my coin first.

I know it can really help underhood temps but I am fine with a 3rd world overheatin' beater ;)

Red_Chili
09-30-2009, 01:25 PM
I am going to go a bit cheaper than the full on ceramic coating. I have a hard time speding that coin there on that kind of upgrade... maybe I am in error, but Marco's recommendation will probably get my coin first.

I know it can really help underhood temps but I am fine with a 3rd world overheatin' beater ;)
VHT is pretty decent, but this quote is misleading:
...the same kind of protection that NASA relies on to protect key components of the Space Shuttle.
or... the same kind of protection your coffee cup enjoys in the dishwasher. Sure the same *kind*, but NOT the same THING. Not even nearly.

The proper ceramic coating has made huge differences on Buell motorcycles, and will protect the interior of your header from heat-related erosion and thinning as well as retaining heat instead of radiating it into your engine bay.

And it only has to save your header lifespan once to pay for itself. VHT is nothing like that (DAMHIK, I have a crossover that erodes into steel swiss cheese). It will be replaced with a modified Toyota stainless unit, ceramic coated inside (which has stopped erosion on similar conversions).

rover67
09-30-2009, 03:44 PM
Well, it is summit racing trying to sell stuff to the backyard redneck wrencher. Of course it isn't what they put on the space shuttle.

I mean really?

Anyways, it is OK stuff, it is not like a 200 dollar ceramic coating done at a nice shop, but for cheap headers (and we are in the cheap header realm here) the stuff's Ok. Yeah in a year it'll be kinda rusty, and you'll think "wow, I didn't think spray paint would make it that long.." but it'll work fine.

or you can go spend 200 bucks and have somethign really nice.... which may not be a bad idea.

Cruzrman
10-01-2009, 06:25 PM
You get what you pay for.
cruzrman

rover67
10-01-2009, 08:04 PM
yup.

Air Randy
10-01-2009, 08:33 PM
I bought the 1 piece header from JT Outfitters after doing a lot of research on the various types of headers.

What I liked about the JTO unit is the flange is the same thickness as the intake flanges. You dont have to mess with shimming or having anything milled. I used a stock exhaust gasket and copper coat spray. It has worked perfect ever since.

Rezarf
10-02-2009, 10:50 PM
I bought the 1 piece header from JT Outfitters after doing a lot of research on the various types of headers.

What I liked about the JTO unit is the flange is the same thickness as the intake flanges. You dont have to mess with shimming or having anything milled. I used a stock exhaust gasket and copper coat spray. It has worked perfect ever since.

How long ago did you get your headers? Did you take into account the milled out section for the washers on the intake manifold? If so, I am stoked you've done my homework for me! :D

Rezarf
04-23-2010, 04:24 PM
I thought I would resurrect this thread. I am still undecided if I want to drop the coin on a "professional" coating verses a spray can.

I don't want to be back here in a few years, but a couple hundred bucks could nearly fund my entire "to-do" list right now as well.

I think the last stuff I sprayed on my headers (like 7 years ago at a tear down) lasted long enough for me to set the timing :rolleyes: I hadn't heard of the VHT stuff. Does it require baking to work effectively?

nuclearlemon
04-23-2010, 04:55 PM
the MAF product looks beefier and the flange is substantially thicker too.

Drew

ignoring the fact that i hate jto, this statement tells you why you should go with maf

Rezarf
04-23-2010, 05:15 PM
Yeah, I got the MAF in hand already. thanks Ige! Just trying to figure out coatings now.

RicardoJM
04-23-2010, 05:29 PM
I just picked my header up from the powder coater this afternoon. The new header came out very nice and I know that years from now it will still be in great shape.

When I dropped it off earlier this week, the guy remembered doing headers for me a few years ago. He asked how they were doing, so I popped the hood on the Bronco and we took look. They still look as fresh as the day I picked them up. :thumb:

nuclearlemon
04-23-2010, 05:50 PM
When I dropped it off earlier this week, the guy remembered doing headers for me a few years ago. He asked how they were doing, so I popped the hood on the Bronco and we took look. They still look as fresh as the day I picked them up. :thumb:

sounds like you've found a quality powdercoater ricardo...care to share the name with us ;)

RicardoJM
04-23-2010, 06:05 PM
sounds like you've found a quality powdercoater ricardo...care to share the name with us ;)

Pristine Powder Coating (http://www.pristinepc.com/) in Englewood. Lee is the owner/operator and used to own a FJ40.

Rezarf
04-23-2010, 10:38 PM
Richardo, how much did it run you? Feel free to PM me if you'd rather. thanks! :D

RicardoJM
04-24-2010, 12:59 PM
It was right about 2 benjamins.