PDA

View Full Version : 1965 FJ40 - Timm finally has a running 40

timmbuck2
09-15-2009, 08:17 AM
OK, will start from the beginning I guess...found a great deal on a very clean 1965 FJ40...bought it from TheRash down in Castle Rock. Think he had only had it a short while, bought it from a gentleman in Aurora who had added a lot of wires and radios and lights and stuff. It was not running at the time, probably due to 100 extra wires all over the place, so we towed it to my storage garage, and there it sat...until finally I towed it back to my new house and every morning and night I was reminded I had a great 40 that needed my attention!!!

...to be continued...

MDH33
09-15-2009, 08:21 AM
:woot:

Very nice! and it has a drop tailgate. :cool:

What engine is in it??

timmbuck2
09-15-2009, 08:22 AM
yes, if you look closely you see a Chevy straight six...and I flipped the bezel and removed the rock lights...

timmbuck2
09-15-2009, 08:29 AM
When it was in storage I worked on getting it running. Pulled all the extra wires, etc. It would turn over but would not catch. If I poured gas down the carb it would run for a few seconds. Probably a clogged fuel line...it has an aux. fuel tank, maybe the lines are messed up? Crawled under there and the aux. tank is not hooked up, but the valves is there, plus an extra old electric fuel pump (not hooked to anything) and a couple of fuel filters. Next job is to get it in the garage and start with the fuel lines, see if they are clogged.

Nice radio, huh??

timmbuck2
09-15-2009, 08:31 AM
hmm....no NRA stickers on this 40...pretty rare. :) But it was in Moab in 1984...

timmbuck2
09-15-2009, 08:35 AM
Just about this time Tim P. (Timztoy) from the Keys decided to move to Colorado. His first weekend in town I had a little "Wrenching and BBQ" party (wenching?) and Tim came over (awesome ASC certified mechanic!!) and Ricardo and Justin did too. (SOMEONE decided his girlfriend was more important than BBQ and sweaty greasy men! Umm......wait...)

First thing I found was there was not just a couple of fuel filters...there was 3! All 3 were different part numbers and all on the same line to the main tank. I got some new line and a new filter and hooked her all up. We tried it again and still no fuel to the carb...yup, a bad fuel pump. Tim took it off and took it apart, dry rot and no good. Hmm...how to find a fuel pump for an old Chevy straight 6 of unknown year or type?? Ricardo and I took the old pump to Pep Boys to try and figure out the mystery....

timmbuck2
09-15-2009, 08:44 AM
We started looking for an early 60's Chevy truck engine...Pep Boys database only went back to 62 and all the fuel pumps we found were from not right...I was calling Napa and we were looking through the database for an hour...but no luck. Ricardo says that the motor probably came out of an old 55 Bel Air that someone had sitting around...I looked at him like he was crazy. Suuuuuuuuuuure Ricardo...a 1955 Bel Air. :rolleyes: I looked at some electric fuel pumps, but at $99 or so and not sure of the PSI needed, I decided to head home and take some pics of the motor and post them here and on MUD and see if anyone knew what the heck the engine was...

Romer
09-15-2009, 08:47 AM
Congrats Timm

timmbuck2
09-15-2009, 09:05 AM
Came home with the intent of taking pics, posting them on MUD, researching the motor etc etc etc....Tim says "why don't you just Google the casting number?" :doh: So I do a quick search...and the first site says this number is used on all 1955 Chevy Cars...like the Bel Air. :eek: Good call Ricardo!! :bowdown: A quick call to Napa and they have the fuel pump in stock for $36, after a quick trip, the fuel pump is in, and the 40 runs!!! Ricardo had helped me tweak the parking brake, and a little test confirmed the brakes were ok, so Tim hops in the passenger seat...no headlights so he hangs a flashlight out the window and we make a quick trip around the block. Motor is purring, brakes feel great, runs very nice!! :D:beer:

wesintl
09-15-2009, 09:06 AM
That's a cool jeep safari sticker.

It was originally a soft top cruiser. Nice Rig. Now i understand why you wanted to engine swap for a starter.. lol

timmbuck2
09-15-2009, 09:09 AM
The next day I take her for a run around the neighborhood. Runs and drives great. I am pretty excited. :) All gauges even work, except the speedometer. While it is sitting in the driveway running it all of the sudden starts making a loud rattling noise. What the heck?! Look under the hood but no idea...I take it for a quick spin and the noise goes away. Later that afternoon I go to start it, and nothing...the amp meter goes down but nothing else. Try to jump it, nothing. Put in a new battery, nothing. Swap in brand new battery cables and clean the ground area, nothing. Hmm.....wonder if that grinding noise was the starter engaging while it was running..........dang it I bet that is it. Tim comes over and helps check the wires. All wires and the solenoid looks good...we take the starter off and sure enough the teeth are ground down and you can see a short in the motor...luckily the flywheel looks ok. Now the search is on for a new starter.......

Jacket
09-15-2009, 09:13 AM
It was originally a soft top cruiser.

Is it the tailgate, or some other feature that drives this nugget of wisdom?

timmbuck2
09-15-2009, 09:18 AM
The FJ40 L makes it a soft top? I think...

treerootCO
09-15-2009, 09:38 AM
The FJ40 L makes it a soft top? I think...

The 'L' = Left hand drive
The 'V' = Van model or hard top.

My '78 40 is an Fj40LV

Very nice looking 40. I have an extra one of those silly carbs if you need one for parts. I took it off my '65 LPB and put on an OEM one.

RockRunner
09-15-2009, 09:54 AM
Very nice, looks good and it runs. Enjoy it.

theRash
09-15-2009, 10:08 AM
wow. Already forgot how clean the body is. Great job on getting it running.

rover67
09-15-2009, 10:12 AM
Sweet! Glad you guys got it running!!

corsair23
09-15-2009, 10:15 AM
So is the "L" redundant in the US or are we all driving around in FJ40Ls? :)

Timm, I have an early model year air filter housing/can you can have if you want it...Sweet 40 :thumb:

Rezarf
09-15-2009, 10:27 AM
Great job Tim! :woot:

Keep it up man, the 40's only run is around the corner! :D

nuclearlemon
09-15-2009, 10:28 AM
:cheers::thumb:

ElliottB
09-15-2009, 10:28 AM
Nice looking truck! That drivers seat has seen quite a few angry butts however.

timmbuck2
09-15-2009, 11:06 AM
Thanks all! Yes, any spare parts would be awesome...

So Kevin tells me I should be able to swap the nose cone and bendex from an F starter to the Chevy housing and be good. Unfortunately the Toyota starter is a 3 1/2 inch housing and the Chevy is 5 inches. We tried to go to some junk yards but it was Saturday so nothing was open. We did see a Chevy Truck only junkyard and it looked very organized so I had hopes for it on Monday. I had a chevy starter from some random unknown place and we tried to swap internals but the motor was a different diameter. Tim learned a lot about how starter motors are put together! We went to Pep Boys to search for a starter that we could take the motor from, and we went through about 10 boxes and found one that was promising. We took it home and tore it apart, but the motor shaft was about 1/2 inch too long. :doh: We took it back and did more searches and found another one that was promising, but it too was too long and did not work. At this point we have bought and taken back 2 starters, and tried 2 other starters I had lying around, spent many hours messing with it. Autozone by me is open until 10 and Tim used to be a parts manager there, so Saturday about 8 we dropped by to look at every Chevy starter we could find and see if we could find a motor and shaft that would fit. Tim started flying on the computer and having the manager and his employee run back and forth for us...luckily the manager was very cool and was taking notes and marking boxes for us. After about 2 hours and looking at almost every starter in the store, we still struck out. The manager did mention a local guy who rebuilt starters and also had a bunch of old ones in stock. We went home rather dejected. All this for a *(^#@&(_ starter! Tim thought with a grinder ahe could cut the shaft to length and cut a groove for the O-ring but neither one of us was sure that would work very well. This is when I posted on the forum that I was ready to drop in a Toyota motor. I did a bunch of research online and could not even find a 1955 Bel Air starter that looked anything like my starter, and spending 100-200 bucks and not even be sure of what I was getting was not an option in my mind. We made plans on Sunday night to get a running F engine with a tranny and tcase and spend the next 2 weeks getting it swapped into the 65. I want to drive this on the 40's only run!! I planned on trying 2 more things...the Chevy trucks junkyard and the local auto electrics guy...

timmbuck2
09-15-2009, 11:11 AM
Monday at lunch I ran to the Chevy Trucks junkyard. (Near Sidewinder in north denver) and they are definitely the most organized place I have ever seen....but no starter. All right, one more shot...I called the guy at D&D Auto Electric (about a mile from my new house) and he said of course I have one right here on the shelf! No way! I drove over there right away and he laughed and said I did not have a 55 bel air starter...but he did have the same starter to replace my dead one. Said it was from a 58-63 chevy straight 6 car motor...so still probably a Bel Air, Ricardo. :) The block is definitely from a 55 Bel Air, but who really knows......so for $118 I finally have a working starter!! Now to install it and see if there is another short that caused the old starter to engage while it was running....

timmbuck2
09-15-2009, 11:13 AM
had no headlights, but they did work at one time. turned out to be a fuse. have no tail lights or brake lights or turn signals. put in all new bulbs...well, but one...

thought it would be expensive and hard to find but CCOT I think has them for $35 each. :)

so that is where she sits today...waiting for the starter and the new turn signal. Insurance is already there, now waiting for registration, and since I don't need emissions, that should be taken care of today. 11 days until the 40's only run.....

timmbuck2
09-15-2009, 11:25 AM
plans are to try and restore the original early FJ40's stuff...but update a lot of the hidden stuff...probably a 2F and four speed, disc brakes, power steering, maybe a PTO winch. I would like to replace all the cool original dash stuff like the huge tcase lever on the dash. Think an early hard top would be cool, but not in a big hurry for that...

then just drive her all the time!!!!

wesintl
09-15-2009, 11:43 AM
thought it would be expensive and hard to find but CCOT I think has them for $35 each. :)

always check toyota on this stuff first. They can get them.

BTW you need some windshield latches. :eek:

nuclearlemon
09-15-2009, 12:03 PM
[QUOTE=timmbuck2;118980]I called the guy at D&D Auto Electric (about a mile from my new house) [QUOTE]

there's also a1 auto electric for future reference

btw, i think i have windshield latches, just not any extra hooks.

timmbuck2
09-15-2009, 12:05 PM
I do have windshield latches, just need to install them!

I do need a driver's side window regulator...old one has stripped gears on the handle...

D&D Auto Electrics # is 303-423-6522 near 44th and Kipling in Wheat Ridge. Very good guys!

Hulk
09-15-2009, 12:58 PM
Timm, this is a great thread!

Also, would you mind resizing your images? Most people won't be able to see the whole image at once. 800 pixels wide would be a good choice. 1000 is probably the max I would recommend.

jettaglxdriver
09-15-2009, 01:04 PM
They will view fine on my PC at home. I have my 47" lcd tv running off a HDMI video card at 1080P. HEHE

Bruiser
09-15-2009, 01:04 PM
Congrats Timm:thumb: Sounds like you have a starter but if for some reason it does not work out you could also try Svigels Auto Parts. He helped me get some stuff to get my sbc going.

Justin

timmbuck2
09-15-2009, 01:57 PM
Timm, this is a great thread!

Also, would you mind resizing your images? Most people won't be able to see the whole image at once. 800 pixels wide would be a good choice. 1000 is probably the max I would recommend.

will do. I have a huge monitor at work so did not notice.

timmbuck2
09-15-2009, 02:39 PM
according to this http://www.sor.com/fj40frame.html it was built in 64 and I guess sold in 65...so that makes it a 64?

wesintl
09-15-2009, 02:57 PM
yeah.. the little brass tag on there usually means it was sold that year (65) and usually it's the next year from when it was built. I think i've seen on mud though were there's been a 64 that was sold in 66 and would have a 66 brass tag.

Uncle Ben
09-15-2009, 03:21 PM
yeah.. the little brass tag on there usually means it was sold that year (65) and usually it's the next year from when it was built. I think i've seen on mud though were there's been a 64 that was sold in 66 and would have a 66 brass tag.

Wild Rice is a '64 with a '65 brass tag...

Beater
09-15-2009, 06:29 PM
timm - that carb style is affectionately known as a "bug spray" carb. Napa should have the rebuild kit. There are also adapter kits to make the manifold accept a 2bbl.

:)

Uncle Ben
09-15-2009, 09:20 PM
Timm, I just read your earlier post. I assumed you had the early starter on it still. I should have clarified. The early starters are nearly the same motor and configuration as the chev starters. The later gear reduction starters are obviously compatible. My bad....

timmbuck2
09-16-2009, 09:34 AM
Timm, I just read your earlier post. I assumed you had the early starter on it still. I should have clarified. The early starters are nearly the same motor and configuration as the chev starters. The later gear reduction starters are obviously compatible. My bad....

no prob at all! My fault for not clarifying what I was dealing with.

timmbuck2
09-16-2009, 09:48 AM
Well, it took more than a 15 minute starter swap, but she is running and purring! After Tim and I helped Mike get his very orange Jetta loaded on Tom's trailer and moved over to our Shop, we headed to my garage to swap in the starter. I also had Tim grab a new ignition switch...I think the starter engaged while the motor was running due to a short in the switch or wires. Sure enough the wires on the old switch were really bad. We got the starter in and while Tim was wiring up the new ignition switch, I wired up the starter. When I attached the battery I got some sparks, then lots of OEM smoke from around the starter solenoid. NOOOO!!!!! We checked the wires again and tried the battery again, and more smoke. If you look in the pic you might see a thick cable that has been rigged for the heater control, and apparently it was touching the hot wire on the starter and getting very very hot...or so Tim and his burnt finger tell me...:bolt:
After zip tying the cable away from the wires, we checked some ground and re-wired the starter...and much to my relief the starter worked!! Unfortunately we had no spark to the engine. After much wire testing and part swapping we went back to the original wiring setup...and she fired right up and purred like a kitten...a slightly wheezing 45 year old kitten. :thumb: Tim also grabbed the only air cleaner at Pep Boys that would fit this carb...it is about 3 inches across...very darling little engine accessory. So today she gets registered and things are looking good for the 40's only run!! Checklist for the run:

1. tail lights and brake lights: headlights now work (fuse) and while I have all new bulbs, I have no tail lights or brake lights or turn signals. guessing it is a bad wire or ground somewhere

2. complete fluid change and baseline

3. take out jump seats, install confer bench seat, figure out how to attach car seat so Ty can come with me

4. lots of test drives and visual examination to make sure everything is ok.

Thanks SO much to Tim and to everyone else who has helped with parts or advice or help...and that goes back to 3 or 4 years ago when Ige and Treeroot helped me go pick up my first 40...the sad 73 with no engine. (That is currently in a Big O Tires in SE Aurora now owned by a guy named Drew and hopefully being restored!)

timmbuck2
09-16-2009, 11:30 AM
all pics resized...here are a few more

timmbuck2
09-16-2009, 01:02 PM
The Dream is over. No 40's only run this year. :mad: Just went to register it, and the bill is over $300. Apparently the new law earlier this year says that every month you don't register a vehicle after you buy it is a $25 late fee, up to $100. Even if the truck is not running you have to go wait in line to title and register it. :confused: Kinda makes no sense, but until the divorce and re-fi crap is finished (hopefully 2 more weeks) I won't be able to register it. 2010 is on my calendar. Thanks anyway Tim for all your hard work helping get it ready.

Timm :(

theRash
09-16-2009, 01:05 PM
Do they at least allow an extension of the temp tags so you'll be able to go?

Has me worried. I have until Oct 12th before the fines start piling.

rover67
09-16-2009, 01:13 PM
Can you get temp tags for it or do you have to pay tax on that too? maybe you can tell them you need to drive it to get inspected (say you want to get regular tags) and get a temp tag for it... it worked for my 60..

Hulk
09-16-2009, 02:09 PM
3. take out jump seats, install confer bench seat, figure out how to attach car seat so Ty can come with me

Timm,

Ty can ride in the front passenger seat -- no airbags. My kids do this all the time. Just an FYI.

timmbuck2
09-16-2009, 02:11 PM
Timm,

Ty can ride in the front passenger seat -- no airbags. My kids do this all the time. Just an FYI.

I thought that also...my ex tends to disagree...says it may be legal but is not safe, but maybe I can get her to compromise...

Jacket
09-16-2009, 02:18 PM
Timm,

x2. Sam and I do it all the time.

Reminds me of a time we were in Boulder stopped at a traffic light, with Sam in his car seat riding shotgun. A couple looks over at me from the next lane, and I can read the girl's lips as she comments to her boyfriend: "That's real safe."

Ironically, they were both on a scooter, and neither one was wearing a helmet.:rolleyes:

corsair23
09-16-2009, 02:43 PM
That sucks...The law was put in place, supposedly, to thwart people that constantly put off renewing their tags (for whatever reason) and the only consequence to them (assuming they didn't get pulled over for expired tags) was paying the back taxes.

But how exactly is a person that buys a vehicle that doesn't run supposed to get it registered when you have to get it e-tested before you can register it? And if it doesn't run then how do you get it e-tested? Shouldn't matter if it takes you 3 months or 3 years to get it running nor whether it is a 30+ yr old vehicle or 10 yrs old, the new law should NOT apply until after you get it registered for the first time.

As for the kiddies riding in the front...Let's face it, riding in an old 40 isn't really all that "safe" no matter where you or the kids sit. But, if the kid is strapped to a car seat that is strapped to the front seat of the truck (seat belt, anchor, etc) it is as safe, if not more safe, than them sitting in the back....

SteveH
09-16-2009, 04:39 PM
Remember Guv Ritter at the next election. My $9.50 pickup bed trailer is $37 to register (now), and the collector car plates are such a fiasco that I'm not buying them anymore - the 'credit' you get when you roll them over to another qualifying collector car will remind you of the amount of money you get refunded in the 6th year of a 6 year battery warranty - chump change.

Colorado now runs license plate rates like Massachusetts and <insert ripoff state name here>. This burden hits the poor, farmers, collector car owners, and large families with driving-age kids the hardest. Sure glad our Dems. are looking out for the little guy.

Like Timm, I now have to register my 1980 FJ40 about the time it was going to be out of commission for some time due to bodywork - but now I'll get fined for it.

nuclearlemon
09-16-2009, 05:04 PM
trust me, i'll remember f'n ritter:mad: i'm not registering the ford for the 12 times a year, if that, that i drive it. almost $200 if you include the etest that it needs.

TIMZTOY
09-16-2009, 05:14 PM
you can rejister the title. Or title transfer. That's usually what they tax you on. Fir every month that goes by past the date on the title. Then when it's running you get it rejistered for tags. That's how all the other 3 states I've lived in are. And co is very simmiler to mo. Won't do ya any good now but for future referance. Buy the truck and go stright to the title office to change the name in the title into your name. I could be wrong but hay. That's my experance

Rzeppa
09-16-2009, 05:20 PM
Great thread Timm! Congratulations!

nuclearlemon
09-16-2009, 06:14 PM
you can rejister the title. Or title transfer. That's usually what they tax you on. Fir every month that goes by past the date on the title. Then when it's running you get it rejistered for tags. That's how all the other 3 states I've lived in are. And co is very simmiler to mo. Won't do ya any good now but for future referance. Buy the truck and go stright to the title office to change the name in the title into your name. I could be wrong but hay. That's my experance

that used to be the way it was, before ritter and his stupid new fees:mad::mad:

timmbuck2
09-17-2009, 12:58 PM
thanks for the advice...went and got a temp tag good for 60 days....I drove her to work today!!

rover67
09-17-2009, 01:04 PM
Sweet! glad that worked out! Congrats on the first drive!

Uncle Ben
09-17-2009, 01:26 PM
thanks for the advice...went and got a temp tag good for 60 days....I drove her to work today!!

:thumb::thumb: :bowdown::zilla:

wesintl
09-17-2009, 03:04 PM
now you can go on the 40 runs and the bel air runs:D

timmbuck2
09-17-2009, 03:14 PM
when *is* the next bel air run???

ElliottB
09-17-2009, 05:32 PM
I had no idea about that registration law. I bought my 60 in January of this year but probably will not be registering it until January of 2010. That kind of sucks.

treerootCO
09-18-2009, 08:38 AM
I had no idea about that registration law. I bought my 60 in January of this year but probably will not be registering it until January of 2010. That kind of sucks.

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=10860

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=10690

timmbuck2
09-18-2009, 08:42 AM
the seat belt issue could be big for bringing Ty along...the jump seats have seat belts but not the front seats. I have a few spare 40 seat belst laying around from various rigs, but not sure any of them even match. what are my options on an early rig like this??

MDH33
09-18-2009, 09:12 AM
the seat belt issue could be big for bringing Ty along...the jump seats have seat belts but not the front seats. I have a few spare 40 seat belst laying around from various rigs, but not sure any of them even match. what are my options on an early rig like this??

Does his car seat require a shoulder belt, or will lap belts work? The mounting points for the stock front lap belts should be there. Otherwise, you could always look for a late model roll bar that has the integrated shoulder belts.

timmbuck2
09-18-2009, 09:18 AM
I have both kinds of car seats for him, lap belt and shoulder belt. Long term I do want a roll cage of some kind with integrated shoulder belts. For now lap belts will suffice.

Hulk
09-18-2009, 10:19 AM

I used the jump seat belts with my Con-Ferr seat. I attached them with a massive bolt to the seat itself.

Air Randy
09-18-2009, 10:39 AM
Wasnt Dean giving away a free roll bar that wouldnt fit his rig?

timmbuck2
09-18-2009, 11:00 AM
I used the jump seat belts with my Con-Ferr seat. I attached them with a massive bolt to the seat itself.

cool...and I have a con-ferr rear seat. Have any pics?? :thumb:

timmbuck2
09-18-2009, 11:01 AM
Wasnt Dean giving away a free roll bar that wouldnt fit his rig?

what roll bars fit the early 40? especially with the long jump seats? I have at least 1 roll bar lying around somewhere...

Hulk
09-18-2009, 11:21 AM
cool...and I have a con-ferr rear seat. Have any pics?? :thumb:

I'll try to snap one before I head out of town. We're going to the western slope for the weekend.

timmbuck2
09-18-2009, 11:23 AM
I'll try to snap one before I head out of town. We're going to the western slope for the weekend.

thanks!

RicardoJM
09-18-2009, 11:25 AM
what roll bars fit the early 40? especially with the long jump seats? I have at least 1 roll bar lying around somewhere...

They will all fit, none of them are bolt in compatible with the long jump seats. As I understand it, the introduction of stock roll bar is when the short jump seats were also introduced.

Hulk
09-18-2009, 11:27 AM
They will all fit, none of them are bolt in compatible with the long jump seats. As I understand it, the introduction of stock roll bar is when the short jump seats were also introduced.

You can use the long seats with a later model roll bar -- you just have to move the seats inboard. My buddy Tim Noreen did this on his '69 FJ40.

timmbuck2
09-18-2009, 11:28 AM
You can use the long seats with a later model roll bar -- you just have to move the seats inboard. My buddy Tim Noreen did this on his '69 FJ40.

I thought I had seen a few pictures of long jump seats with a rollbar...

MDH33
09-18-2009, 11:48 AM

I thought I had seen a few pictures of long jump seats with a rollbar...

SOR sells some brackets that allow the long jump seats to be used with a roll bar:

http://www.sor.com/sor/cat244.tam?xax=19283&anchor=#244-80

RicardoJM
09-18-2009, 12:22 PM
:p: Oops, not sure how to multi-quote everything and I probably should have been more expansive in my initial post.

I didn't mean to say that long jump seats can not be made to fit, I was just trying to communicate it is not a direct bolt in process. SOR sport bar is really close, the bracket kit is designed for long seats to work with their Sport Bar. Of course the Sport Bar needs to be welded. It is not clear if the bracket kit is directly compatible with any other roll bar, though it looks real similar to the stock Toyota roll bar design.

I had understood Timm's question to be an inquiry for "long jump seat / roll bar" combination that would bolt in without having to fabricate. If he wants to stay with the long jump seat, any commercial roll bar will do and there will be some level of work needed to securely mount the jump seats.:D

MDH33
09-18-2009, 12:35 PM
My oops, actually. I thought the SOR brackets were for long seats and a stock roll bar, but after looking more closely, that's not the case. As Ricardo and Matt mentioned, it can be done, but I personally don't know how. :o

Rzeppa
09-18-2009, 06:04 PM
In my experience in riding in the back of a 40 with long jumps and roll bars with the kit option which moves the jumps seats inward, it is even more uncomfortable than riding in the back of any 40 normally is. And let's face it. Riding in the back of a 40 isn't exactly cush.

I love 40s, and I love the jumps seats as a practical way to fit people and stuff back there, but I wouldn't move the jump seats like you have to, to fit a roll bar. That's why I picked up an extra set of short jump seats to put in the back of my 71 when I ever get around to putting a roll bar in her.

timmbuck2
09-19-2009, 09:48 AM
Thanks Zepp...doubt anyone but the boys will ever sit back there...was thinking of keeping it relatively stock, but that doesn't really make sense....need a bench seat for both the boys...and I have a con-ferr seat for back there. Guess the jump seats are coming out! I have a shorter roll bar, would like one of the longer ones...a "family" cage??

timmbuck2
09-19-2009, 09:52 AM
Tim and I tinkered with the 40 last night over a beer or 2. New brake switch helped the brakes, but had a bad tail light housing and a bad headlight switch. Need to get those today. Also swapped in the oil lines I got from Ricardo, and replaced the accelerator return spring I popped off while working on the oil lines. Unhooked some random wires and got rid of that ugly map light in the middle of the dash. And put the windshield latches on. Monday I should have a package from CCOT with the turn signal and the window regulator. Just got to figure out the seat belts and I am ready for Saturday! Need to go grab the seat belts I have in storage...

Oh, and the brake switch, headlight switch, tail light etc etc were all Chevy or generic. :)

TIMZTOY
09-20-2009, 11:54 AM
Glad to help :D working with rusty bolts and shoddy wiring beats fighting insanity from bordum any day. As it turns out I will be needing a ride fir the 40's run. Jeff said that he won't have the time to get his Camo 40 running in time. So any extra seats would be much apreseated

timmbuck2
09-23-2009, 10:40 AM
Big thanks again to Tim...we spent a few more hours working last night. The 40 how has working headlights, parking lights, tail lights, and brake lights...not to mention a new window regulator, new headlight switch, front turn signal, bezel screws :), and oil lines (thanks Ricardo!).

Final to-do list for the 40's only run
1. turn signals still not working. not the highest priority but would be nice.
2. all fluid baseline and change
3. install rear con-ferr seat and car seat for Ty
4. run power to radio so we have tunes for the trip :)
5. shakedown run, if possible

Question on the rear lights, especially on an early 40. The tail lights that are there are aftermarket cheapies. There only seems to be wires for tail lights and brake lights...were the turn signals separate? Also no reverse light, was that also separate on the early 40's? If so, where was it? I just have my old 73 for comparison. Where was the headlight dimmer? Don't see anything on the floor and there definitely is wiring for brights.

Thanks all! And huge thanks to Tim!

T

RicardoJM
09-23-2009, 10:52 AM
4. run power to radio so we have tunes for the trip :)

Question on the rear lights, especially on an early 40. There only seems to be wires for tail lights and brake lights...were the turn signals separate?

Where was the headlight dimmer?

Don't sweat the radio, you won't be able to hear it anyway.

Don't know how you year differs from my 71, but the 71 only has two wires for the tail lights. On the 71 the dimmer switch is on the floor.

timmbuck2
09-23-2009, 10:59 AM
I have carpet and insulation...I even had a cell phone conversation in it the other day. Kinda. :)

So those 2 wires give you brake lights, tail lights, and turn signals?

TIMZTOY
09-23-2009, 12:23 PM
not from what I saw. As long as I can locate the orgional wires I can make somthing work. You will have to get a new housing for revers at bare minimum I'm thinking. Rock lights

nuclearlemon
09-23-2009, 05:40 PM
Where was the headlight dimmer? Don't see anything on the floor and there definitely is wiring for brights.

T

is there a gaping hole on the floor where the dimmer switch used to be;)

should've been there till around 1974

MDH33
09-24-2009, 08:00 AM
is there a gaping hole on the floor where the dimmer switch used to be;)

should've been there till around 1974

My '73 has the brights controlled by pushing the turn signal indicator forward/back. Maybe Timm's has a column like mine?

TIMZTOY
09-25-2009, 02:21 PM
found the switch for the brights. It was on the floor were it was suposed to be and hidden under a thick mud floor mat we just never actually looked. Because we were occupied with other faulty electrics. Timm replaced one tiny instrument cluster light and his blinkers started working. (WTF) oh well. We got the jump seat Installed with enoughf room for 2 tall large adults :D

timmbuck2
09-25-2009, 02:28 PM
and at Rocky Mountain Cruisers at lunch I was able to grab the other front turn signal and 2 OEM rear turn signals!! :)

MDH33
09-25-2009, 03:04 PM
and at Rocky Mountain Cruisers at lunch I was able to grab the other front turn signal and 2 OEM rear turn signals!! :)

Score! those tail lights are no longer available from Toyota. :)

subzali
09-26-2009, 12:36 PM
you can register a vehicle with just the title (and maybe proof of insurance), but in order to get it licensed with a plate it needs to pass emissions. That's how I did my Tundra this summer. Not that it matters in this case but I just wanted to add my two cents.

Nice truck Timm!

timmbuck2
09-30-2009, 10:36 AM
hmm...think the clutch may be going..interesting as I thought Scott said the PO replaced the clutch. Anyway, drove the 40 to work yesterday, and everything seemed great. Driving home on 6th I was actually passing people. :) I drove to home depot for a few things, and when I was leaving the parking lot, the clutch seemed to slip...the engine was revved up and the clutch was out, but it was not moving very well and was shaking some and took awhile to fully engage. It got worse on the drive home, the hill on Kipling up to Colfax was tough. A couple of hours later Timztoy was over and I went out to show him, and it drove perfectly around the block. Guess when it gets heated up it starts to slip?? The tranny is low on fluid, I am going to top it off (any hints on how to do this easily on a 3 speed?) and will also drain and refill the clutch res. I remember how much of a pain it was to replace the clutch and rear main seal on a 2F that was out of the truck...not looking forward to doing it on a motor already in the truck...

MDH33
09-30-2009, 12:28 PM
hmm...think the clutch may be going..interesting as I thought Scott said the PO replaced the clutch. Anyway, drove the 40 to work yesterday, and everything seemed great. Driving home on 6th I was actually passing people. :) I drove to home depot for a few things, and when I was leaving the parking lot, the clutch seemed to slip...the engine was revved up and the clutch was out, but it was not moving very well and was shaking some and took awhile to fully engage. It got worse on the drive home, the hill on Kipling up to Colfax was tough. A couple of hours later Timztoy was over and I went out to show him, and it drove perfectly around the block. Guess when it gets heated up it starts to slip?? The tranny is low on fluid, I am going to top it off (any hints on how to do this easily on a 3 speed?) and will also drain and refill the clutch res. I remember how much of a pain it was to replace the clutch and rear main seal on a 2F that was out of the truck...not looking forward to doing it on a motor already in the truck...

The clutch freeplay adjustment might be off, try checking that first.

I have a looong tube attached to a funnel that I feed down next to the firewall and into the tranny to fill it. I just pour in the 90wt until it starts oozing out the fill hole. :hill:

RicardoJM
09-30-2009, 01:00 PM
I have a looong tube attached to a funnel that I feed down next to the firewall and into the tranny to fill it. I just pour in the 90wt until it starts oozing out the fill hole. :hill:

I need to give this a try. I use the short tube on the pump that goes into the quart bottle. The process overview:

Grab a funnel and fill the quart bottle with 90wt.
Screw in the pump and crawl under the truck and proceed to work the pump.
Pump about 200 times to empty the quart.
Repeat as necessary, till fluid comes out the fill hole.

Fortunately the 3 speed tranny capacity is 1.8 quarts, so I only have to repeat once. :D If you decide to drain fully, make sure you can open your fill hole before you open your drain hole.