PDA

View Full Version : Lock out Hubs for the longer axle 40's

Jacket
09-17-2009, 11:53 AM
So for you guys with '75 - '78 Cruisers, do have have the Warn lock out hubs on your stock axles? Any problems? The long body Aisin's seem to be a preferred yet rare commodity. But with the guy that blew up his Warn hub on Black Bear the other other week, it's got me thinking again.

My truck is still rockin' the original drive plates :cool:, but realize that I'd be better off both on and off-road with a set of lock outs, and the plates as trail spares.

I'd love to find a set of those long body Aisins to rebuild. Anyone seem 'em around these parts?

wesintl
09-17-2009, 12:03 PM
I think i have some selectro's (free)you can run and then have driveplates as backup. I have run the warns without issue. Didn't he have a front locker?

The long bodie aisin's are hard to find since they were only on 55's of that same time. Keep an eye out for them but imho it'd be better to swap in mini birfs and run the aisins with them

isotel
09-17-2009, 12:32 PM
i think it would be worth it to upgrade to the Standard 79+ / Minitruck / FJ60 Style Short Birfs and Aisin Hubs.

Easier to find Spar Parts when needed!

daisydog34
09-17-2009, 12:57 PM
X3 for upgrading to mini birfs. Those parts are going to be a lot easier to find both on and off the trail.

Uncle Ben
09-17-2009, 01:31 PM
X4 without a doubt!

Rzeppa
09-18-2009, 06:58 PM
I think i have some selectro's (free)you can run and then have driveplates as backup. I have run the warns without issue. Didn't he have a front locker?

The long bodie aisin's are hard to find since they were only on 55's of that same time. Keep an eye out for them but imho it'd be better to swap in mini birfs and run the aisins with them

The long body Aisins also came on FJ45s of the same vintage. I have them on my 78 FJ45. But no doubt, they aren't exactly pick-n-pull stuff.

While the Aisins are regarded as stronger, I have never had any issue with the Warns on either my 71 (wheeled very hard) or my 76 (with almost 300k miles). I think a lot of what I've observed over the years in terms of breakage comes down to a combination of driving, tire size, and luck.

If I were you, I'd put Wes' Selectros on and keep the drive plates as a backup.